P0087

Rate this topic

Had a 2014 F450 in with the check engine light on and reduced engine power due to a P0087. No other codes. The truck Was in a week ago with the same code, same concern and the tech put filters in it and road tested it and sent it off. I took the truck this time, cleared the code and got the code to repeat instantly. The pinpoint tests lead to M20 removing the fuel return line from the left fuel rail, turning on the fuel pump and playing with the PCV and VCV and monitoring the fuel flow out of the rail. here is the pinpoint test question:

Does the fuel flow from the left hand fuel rail while the F_VCV PID is commanded to the lowest duty cycle value and stop when the F_VCV PID is commanded to the highest duty cycle value?

Well fuel was flowing then it almost stopped... it reduced to a drip about every two seconds. (When I performed the same test for the PCV the fuel flow stopped completely) So I interpreted that as "No" it did not stop, or at least not fully. I replaced the VCV accordingly and road tested the truck with no repeat check engine light. But given the possible cause of "VCV stuck CLOSED" I am a little uneasy about this one so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

How would YOU have answered the question given the results?

I had the same concern on one, ended up being the paper disk from fuel additive container was plugging tank pickup and would cause the intermittent lack of power and p0087.I also put fuel filters in it first just to have it almost die on test drive. Customer was not happy when he had to pay for it.

22 hours ago, nelsona19 said:

I had the same concern on one, ended up being the paper disk from fuel additive container was plugging tank pickup and would cause the intermittent lack of power and p0087.I also put fuel filters in it first just to have it almost die on test drive. Customer was not happy when he had to pay for it.

I remembered that topic here. Even though I did not have any low pressure system codes I still pulled the pick-up assembly to have a look. This particular truck also had the aft axle fuel tank rust out internally a year ago and I replaced it with a Titan plastic tank. I wanted to see if there was anything unusual going on there - there was not though.

Well I knew the VCV would not cause this. Truck returned today but this time the CEL was coming on while towing, but, none the less the code returned. Reran the tests intil I got to testing the PCV and the VCV/ I just pulled the PCV and drained the fuel rail into a black cap. Bunch of fine, shiny metal particles. No rust or corrosion. Time to order a high pressure kit.

• 3 months later...