Ford plans for 2 car lines

Rate this topic

8WA Sman

I question how good of a move this is.  The economy is strong right now and fuel prices are reasonable, pumping sales of SUVs, trucks, and other low-MPG (comparatively) vehicles. It's possible that they could make this move and if the economy tanks (which it inevitably will) or fuel skyrockets, Ford will be caught with their pants down and a poor selection of eco-cars to offer. Their sedans will be limited to the Mustang and one sedan which is not even in production yet? Wow, I don't see the reasoning here.

I'm certainly no economist but this is my opinion.

I have to agree with you Bruce. Poor decision on fords part to cancel the sedan, they are going to shoot themselves right in the foot with that one. I could see cutting back on a couple lines and maybe not offering as many models but to just shelf them all together is a bad idea. What the rental car fleet? entry level commuter cars? etc. that has to be a big chunk of business right there! If ford follows through I believe they will loose alot of customers wanting sedans. 

I own a fusion, for us at the time the fusion made the most sense financially for us since the comparable suv was out of budget both in price and overall MPG. Take that away and your going to loose customers. 

We did recently attempt a trade in to get into an edge or explorer since it would be alot easier with kids but the car values(trade ins) have tanked and the fusion isnt worth much even being 2 years old and 25k miles. cheapest edge that would even compare to our fusion option wise was over 30k! 

The Mustang is a coupe not a sedan but maybe they are planning a 4 door Mustang. :chinrub2:

My Fusion lease is up in less then a year from now and I can roll into a new lease in December or January. I love my Fusion and yes, I want to go with another plug-in hybrid. Leasing makes it super affordable especially with D-Plan pricing, the rebates and incentives but maybe I need to consider purchasing it or buying it at the end of the lease. The Fusion qualifies as an "electric" car and if I bought it instead of leasing I would have gotten another $4008 rebate on my taxes that year... $37000 car would have effectively cost me $19000. THe big rebate is only applicable if you purchase it at the start and not buying out the lease.

PS I'm sure Ford has taken this into account, but what about the CAFE points where when you sell X number of econoboxes it offsets the bad MPG of selling X number of big fuel hogs? Or are they counting on (or have insider info) the EPA relaxing CAFE numbers?

There's a lot here that doesn't add up, like we don't have all of the information. I guess we'll just "stay tuned".:confused:

If I am not mistaken President Trump stated that he was going to ease the emissions regulations. I don't know how much cleaner they can make cars and trucks with internal combustion engines at this point. Electric cars are coming of age though not quite cheap enough for the masses yet.

The issue is with consumers. When presented with a car and an SUV/CUV in the same relative size class they leave owning the SUV/CUV in so many more cases. Sports cars are an exception and so are the smaller hatchback/wagons.

I do think $4 fuel will dent the big SUVs but the MPG of the smaller CUVs is not much worse than the comparable size sedan but the CUV carries more luggage and you usually have a more comfortable seat so those will likely flourish in higher price fuel market.

The hundreds of millions it takes to develop new vehicles to remain competitive can't be repaid if rebates are needed to move the cars. In China and in Europe the move to SUV/CUV is eating sedan sales. That means a "world" car still likely will not pay for its development cost.

• Like 1

As of May 1st... fuel price has been steadily increasing...
doesn't matter if SUV gets 18 plus MPG... people will always thinks big vehicle = gas guzzler. 

My point is.... eliminating many car lines will hurt Ford badly...unless Ford got something up their sleeves....  which I doubt that is true.

There have been a few articles floating around on this topic. One that I read stated even the Honda Accord, stated as the worlds best selling sedan, sales have been dropping off in favor of the SUV/CUV market. I see more SUVS on the road that sedans anymore. Most sedans around my area are either owned by rental companies or the retired. Even local law enforcement are using the Explorer and F150.