2000 Econoline Oil Pan

Rate this topic

Dumped would be the best alternative. A vehicle that old isn't worth the money or the labor required for the repair in question.

In answer to your question though, yes it can be done with the transmission removed and the engine raised slightly without needing to remove the turbo. I know this is because I've personally seen it done. Whether or not I agree with this method is another story though, for the same reason already mentioned above.

I've done it in there, but pull the turbo out to get that much more room. Clean the deck thoroughly, allow ample dry time. Make sure the RTV is fresh, and get an extra set of tiny hands to help with the pickup tube.

Not the preferred method, but sometimes what you will destroy along the way that's all rotted out will make the repair too costly for the client.

On 5/8/2018 at 1:21 PM, Keith Browning said:

Can it be done easily in chassis? I cant even remember if I have ever done one. Trans out? Turbo off? Jack the engine up high enough?

You could just do the backyard fix that’s been showing up around here on the superduty’s. Cut the crossmember out and then re-weld it back in. 

Cause that’s the right way to fix a rotted out oil pan.  NOT!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I saw these knuckle heads! I think I posted this vid quite a while ago... they are in Jersey too. Although this is such a hack I certainly can understand why some people opt for this kinda stuff. I have seen one truck with this glue on pan repair. At least these guys are not cutting crossmembers to get the pan out and welding them back in.