Most absurd hotline recommendations??

Rate this topic

DamageINC

Ok, I'm not bashing hotline or anything. I tend to lean on them a lot and for the most part they're very helpful for me..

BUT...

We've all had those calls where you got something completely retarded from a hotline engineer in response. My personal favorite was about a 5.0 Explorer I had with oil pressure issues. I called in asking if there were any updated part numbers or known problems that I might head toward checking out before I get into any intrusive testing.

The guy on the phone, word for word said...

"Well, ok... low oil pressure... How many miles??"

I say "About 115,000"..

"Hmm... ok, well with that many miles, I think it's not out of line to start looking into things like maybe the piston rings."

And he was completely serious.

Dave

"...for the rear end of the truck to skip sideways around bumpy corners when unloaded, that is normal for this truck. Do not attempt to repair it as warranty will not cover the repair. But, aftermarket shocks will fix the problem..."

The excuse for that one was that these trucks are designed with suspension parts made to tolerate loads and are on the stiff side to provide longevity of the suspension components. Okay, but people do drive these things unloaded and they should handle safely don't you think?

"...if the customer does not tow or haul with his truck then you should tell him he bought the wrong truck. He should probably be in an F150."

Sayyyyy what? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif I admit that the suspension on gas powered Super Duty's is way too bouncy and an F350 is made to work but I would never tell a guy he bought the wrong truck because the suspension has trouble keeping the tires on the road. And, I can't drive a gas powered Super Duty because the ride quality literally makes me sick to my stomach and light headed. I don't know what it is but I kid you not! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

now with e-mail you spend 1/2hr pecking at the key board and state that you've tsb such'n'such and tried this and that,compared to similar unit ect... you get your responce and the magic computer tells you to do the tsb's you've already done and to compare to similar unit????? thanks for the help!!!!

Heres my fav diesel hotline call, had a 01 7.3 lack of power, MAP would go to 0. I called them asking if they had PCM problems ( ohmed out wires ) he said, no, the 7.3 PCM does not go bad check wiring, do voltage drop, But if there is a 7.3 in for service try swapping the PCM out (he stressed trying to find a 7.3 for a PCM swap ) lol. Or when u tell them its a customer pay 6.0 their whole mood changes, they tell u to replace everything. LOL