EGR COOLER FAILURES

Rate this topic

Average about one a week. They are stacking up quick right now though as international has them on backorder. Almost all the ones I am doing are school buses and ups package cars.

EGR coolers can fail for a few reasons. Oil coolers can restrict, causing a lack of coolant to the EGR cooler. Leaks that cause the level to get too low and melt down the cooler. Performance mods that cause excessive exhaust temps. Aeration from headgasket failures... I'm sure the list goes on.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, you guys are buried in crap! Things calmed down for me lately but we did just have a repeat EGR cooler failure come in. Unfortunately, the cooler leaked so bad the engine could not be filled and run to test for a restricted oil cooler. Long story short, this truck was way out of warranty and we recommended to the customer that he replace it along with the EGR cooler. He agreed with our recommendation but without having any diagnostic results to support that recommendation. Do you guys think it was a wise decision?

We've had a few that leak so bad we can't road test them for an oil cooler restriction.... These ones get an oil cooler along with the EGR cooler....

Without this, the chance of replacing two EGR coolers is too real....

Of course we could always replace the EGR cooler and road test it for oil cooler restriction... but we're still booking two weeks, right now and neither us nor our customers have the extra half day that this is going to chew up....

In that situation I would def reccomend both. Case in point. if we were to call hotline on a concern with a EGR cooler so bad we cant test drive it hotline would tell us to do the egr cooler, then test drive and see if it needs a oil cooler. If we call on a dif truck out of warranty IMMEDIATLY they tell us replace both no questions. So interesting after you talk to the 6.0 engineers when something is under warranty and something isnt. Sounds like some1 is taping the conversation to make sure they are not telling us to do more then we have to under warranty. But out of warranty they look out for the customer and our butts (IMOP). Case in point we had a 6.0 letting exhaust gasses through injector, hotline engineer told tech to replace ALL on that bank. When i had the same thing under warranty he said DO NOT replace all just the one. When we know there is something that is bad, but something else is known to go bad but u cant test it ( or not acting ) u ALWAYS sell both and thats coming from school and management to avoid a comeback and a pissed of Custome Pay 6.0 owner.