getting laid off at Rail road looking at a comeback tour

Rate this topic

lraffe1

I left ford about 4 yrs for a job at CSX as a diesel mechanic. It now looks like am getting laid off because record profits for over 4 years straight is not enough. I have been working on trucks at my own shop for awhile but am not in a position to be fully self employed. I also have a family and need insurance. I have a couple offers from some of the dealerships I previously worked at. How much has change for better or worse. I have talked to some of old co-works about this but also look for other peoples opinions.  

From my point of view little has changed from Ford, the product to the local economy that dictates the type and quantity of work coming through our doors. Ford still has really unexplainable product issues that are random but ever-present. Warranty labor times still suck.  I am more interested in what your old co-workers had to say because the dealerships and business climate where you are is what you need to be interested in.

• 2 months later...

Same here Levi. Left Ford 5 years ago for Union Pacific Railroad. Furloughed also due to precision railroading and its record breaking profits. Joined a fleet company with over 100 Fords in their fleet. I am much happier than working those crappy schedules of the railroad. Went to one interview at a Ford dealer and realized that the benefits are still horrible there. I suggest you look for a city job or a big fleet of Ford vehicles where you can get the better medical insurance. I work with two other previous Ford techs=that tells me a lot about working for Ford as a tech.