Reprogramming Used PCM on an F150

Rate this topic

JoeR

I've never tried programming a used PCM on a Ford before, but thought it  might be possible after watching a couple of youtube videos showing how to do it. (smartass commentary welcome, and well deserved at this point.)  :-)

In short, the videos show entering the programming procedure with the key off so the IDS can't see it's already been programmed.  After failing the attempt to communicate the IDS ask to enter a VIN and it will ignore that the PCM has already been programmed.  Unfortunately that's not the way it worked out.  The popup asking for the VIN doesn't appear.  I'm guessing it has changed as the software was updated.

So my question is: Is it possible to reprogram a used PCM to work on a 2000 F150?   I don't care deeply if it can't be done.  The guy should put a new one in there anyway....but I've already got the part, and if it can be done, I love to know how to do it.  90 minutes of me screwing around with it failed to reveal a way.

Thanks for any help, criticism, or abuse you might have to offer.

Joe

Using IDS can you communicate with the original module or is it a brick?

If so you can identify the vehicle and create a new session then try using Programmable Module Installation. I would think that should work.

Otherwise, this is how I believe you can do it. Someone correct me if I am wrong! And yes, I realize you have already tried this. This may not have been possible in 2000 MY.

If you don't have the original PCM or cannot communicate with the PCM, using IDS try to identify the vehicle and start a new session with the new PCM installed AND LEAVE THE IGNITION TURNED OFF. IDS will fail and ask you if you want to try again and let it do so. Once it fails it tells you IDS has found a problem... You will have to then enter the PCM part number calibration number or tear tag number. If IDS accepts the number you enter as valid it will then attempt to erase and program the module using as built data from the Ford mother ship. You will likely have some configuration data to enter like the VIN and so on.

This is the ONLY way I know how using IDS.

Thanks for the reply, Keith.  That is exactly the procedure I used.  I did get the option to enter the tear tag/part number/cal ID, but never the VIN.  I tried it a couple of times in case I missed something.  After entering the number, the IDS shows that the procedure is completed, but offers no option to do anything else on that screen.  It just sits there.

The old PCM will run the truck but won't communicate with a scanner at all.  The used PCM communicates fine.  I can even reprogram it to the latest cal, but not change the VIN.  I didn't bother trying to relearn PATS to see if it ran.  If I can't get the VIN right it can't be emission inspected.   

I'll just get a new PCM.  It should have one anyway.

Joe

Does it ask you to verify the vin? Usually if you tell it the vin is wrong it will ask you for the correct one. 

I know when you are id’ing the vehicle if you tell it no instead of yes when it asks you if this info is correct you can enter the tear tag and force it to flash it there. I believe it may ask you to verify the vin there. 

I can give that a try if I can.  I have never been asked to verify the VIN.  I've been waiting for that screen!

when I start a new session it just comes up with the info from the used PCM, but I don't believe I've had the option to verify it.  It's easy to try again though.

Joe

Here is what I would try. Get a different ids or clear out your ids. Put new pcm in pull fuse id it normal but it won't be able to because fuse is out. It will ask for tear tag and Vin put in then install fuse. Allow it to program it should work fine. It seems the key to programing used modules is a fresh ids. If ids can pull info from a previous session it will even if u tell it not to. I think it pulled the Vin one of the times u id it and has no reason to check because it's the same.

Does a 2000 F150 PCM even store the VIN? I was scanning a 2000 F250 on Friday with the IDS and there was no VIN listed on the main screen. Granted it was a 7.3L diesel, not sure if that matters though.

4 hours ago, lmorris said:

Does a 2000 F150 PCM even store the VIN? I was scanning a 2000 F250 on Friday with the IDS and there was no VIN listed on the main screen. Granted it was a 7.3L diesel, not sure if that matters though.

It looks like it to me.  If I start a session with the key on, like you normally would, it lists the VIN under the vehicle type. Also, if you plug in an Emission Inspection machine it will pull the VIN associated with the  PCM and not the truck.

Either way, I gave up on this today an ordered a new PCM. I'm not that concerned for the customer's wallet, but  I sure did want to see if I could make this work.  

Joe