2016 6.7 P1292 runs rough

Rate this topic

This one starts, runs, idles fine. When you go to accelerate starts to miss, or if power brake it. It begins missing on all on bank 2 (#3,2,5,8) P1 p1292 P2 All injector resistances are 181-183 k ohms yes P3 yes P4 yes P5yes P6 no P7 yes P8 yes. I checked circuits at the PCM, not shorted to power , ground, or each other. P9 not contaminated fuel but customer had filter and water issues this winter. The fuel has no def or gas in it but is very yellow color. Usually we don't see that.  Did power balance Every time #5 is the first injector to miss then that bank shuts down very quickly. (2,3,5,8)

Asked hotline:

Assuming that the #5 injector resistance shorts when its running , then shuts down the bank so I replaced #5 still Have same concern. The ppt states replace injector as necessary. What exactly does that mean? (Previously the ppt stated to replace all 8 injectors as referenced in past reports) Is there any way to narrow this down to a single injector?

Comment From: Ford Comment Date: May-13-2019 13:52:15
Gary,

What the pinpoint test procedure describes you have already performed in replacing the fuel injector identified of being a concern. If you have been able to verify this vehicle does not have any aftermarket accessories or modifications installed that could be a contributing factor to this concern and the fault can be replicated as described, refer to PCED section 5 and perform the diagnostics outlined in pinpoint test ‘O’. This test procedure outlined to assess for Synchronization concerns between the CMP and CKP sensor signal inputs to the PCM. If a concern with these inputs are being detected, this may very well be the reason for the misfire condition occurring after the vehicle seems to start without a concern initially being present.

Asked hotline again

Comment From: DEALER Comment Date: May-14-2019 15:50:23
You recommended preforming PPT O that is for water in fuel PPT 01 unable to duplicate. I think you meant PPT D (ckp) did D1-D10 unable to duplicate. Monitored sync pid during miss always is yes.
Cleared all codes, starts idles fine. When power brake or accel to drive it starts missing. All on bank 2 cylinders #3,2,5,8. record power balance #5 still misses first (that's the new injector), sometimes 5,8 are the very first then all others right away. Only code to reset is P1292. Looking for guidance on where to proceed. Thanks.

Comment From: Ford Comment Date: May-15-2019 12:05:42
Gary,

Thank you for the updated information. Note that DTC P1292 can be caused by DEF contamination of the high pressure fuel system. To address this issue we will need to revisit fuel testing.

Remove a sample of fuel as well as the lower fuel filter. Allow these samples to sit out for at least 2 hours. If DEF crystals are found then the high pressure fuel system will need to be replaced per GSB g0000160.

If no concerns are found then, referring to pin point test step P9 for DTCs P1291 and P1292 all 8 injectors and fuel return lines should be replaced. The direction for replacing an injector as needed relates to other DTCs.

Sorry for the long list but I felt like it needed the info here. Does anyone have any experience with this P1292 or the bank miss concern?

Any response is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just for giggles have you tried disconnecting the other affected injectors one at a time? I think the Hot-Line is leading you in the right direction but unfortunately correcting this is going to require replacing some parts and a leap of faith by all involved. There is a similar post here:

I filled a Styrofoam cup with a fuel sample before I left last night. This morning its half gone melted, little gas in it?

Its the leap that's difficult. Its hard for a customer-myself- to understand that they need 8 injectors when it starts and idles fine.

One would think that this system would be able to determine if a certain #injector is starting the concern 

I will be trying the unplug an injector tip

Thanks

Tsb 11-10-10 it's for 11 and 12. I would double check engine harness near egr cooler like tsb says also. Melting the styrofoam cup makes me think u need fuel system to get this truck fixed. 

I can't tell from info but does it look like the other mode 6 data is completed. I guessing you cleared the info already? You didn't happen to check the mode 6 data earlier so it would be in the IDS log file? It may not be that helpful anyway. I like the older way Ford mode 6 data would display the injector info in a time format.

I am pretty sure that ULSD will eventually eat a styrofoam cup if left long enough. I used to use that trick but questioned it's reliability after making this observation several times. I will say that if the cut dissolves quickly then gasoline is definitely present. It also does not take much gas to make a sample burn when exposed to a flame. I have just made a small puddle on a clear metal workbench and used a lighter. If there is gas it will flame. No fireballs though.

I started unplugging each of the bank 2 injectors one at a time. With #2 unplugged it ran fine (except for the #2 miss) when others were unplugged it began to bank miss right away. So I replace #2 injector. Couple test drives so far working fine. During the diag. process I was hesitant to unplug an injector for fear of damaging pcm. I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks for the input.