2004 with black smoke on intial accel

Rate this topic

hi fellas, here we go. 2004 f-350 with 240,000 comes in hydrolocked with a blown egr cooler. replaced oil cooler, egr cooler, egr valve, removed glow plugs to evacuate, and cracked starter. All white smoke cleared. now during intial accel has black smoke and lack of power. its like a lazy spool up and during that hesitation you get some black smoke for about 3-5 seconds until it clears up and then go power up 25mgp. some instances of quite idle kind of like an egr valve getting stuck but its new with clean intake. road tested for 25 miles and all systems passed on ids. great power. just initial tip it you get a little excessive black smoke. I just moved to Wisconsin from California so the atmossperic number are different. BARO is at 14.2 Map at 14.2 and ebp is at 15.1 so that ebp bothers me and its the old style by the t-stat. looking at replacing that and the connector along with an icp sensor connector to start. if that doesn't do the trick thinking about a unison ring. thoughts? thanks for any suggestions.

Issue was a bad, new ford egr valve. It was causing black smoke on tip in. Just never thought the part would be bad. Caused no codes. Finally after road testing it=it failed the egr test during the valve position test. Just a heads up fellas.

• Like 1

Is this a Ford/Motorcraft replacement EGR valve, or a crappy Made in China white box or Dorman part? I've had a couple passing through lately needing EGR valves that customers have taken them because the part is either no longer available, or no ETA on the part.

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually been told by an engineer to keep replacing EGR valves until you get one that passes the test, went through 3 before it passed the EGR test......All Ford new ones. This was before they started remanufacturing them.

I had an 04 Excursion do that to me once after replacing the valve. I was given the wrong part. The truck was built very close to the date the valve was changed/updated so sometimes the production change dates are not totally accurate. It does not help that the engine build dates can skew from the truck build dates and I think that is how we eventually figured it out. Technically you should always have the engine build date handy, especially with Navistar engines.