My Own VCM

Rate this topic

After waiting about a year and now discovering the PDS has reduced functionality with the new ECMs I finally decided to turn the Lap Top in my toolbox into my own IDS. Since the RTTP web site is not accepting orders I asked my manager to see if he could order one through the dealership. We can and he did. So now I wait. Rotunda stated that the order could take three weeks, or three months. They just place the order and they get filled whenever production and stock levels allow them to be delivered. So now I wait. Did I mention that? But at least I am now waiting for my order! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Sometime this year I plan on picking up a "Tablet" laptop PC, it'll be the cats-!@#!?$! with the IDS software installed. The nice thing about the Tablet PC is that the screen folds flat and actually becomes touch-screen at that point. So it'll be like a much lighter, faster, more capable WDS without having to use a mouse or those annoying little fingerpads.

Dave

When I was at the dealer several techs worked it out so we could get a VCM through payroll deduction. My main problem with PDS is that the pocket PC is kind of fragile. I've had to replace my synch cables a few times and the cradle won't charge the pocket PC. A few days ago my pocket PC just blanked out and quit working like the batteries were dead. FYI, I'm using the Dell Axiom V50.

Anyone who is looking at getting the PDS I would highly recommend getting the extended warranty.

On top of that, the PDS will not be capable of reprogramming the '08 6.4 Diesel, along with the '08 Focus as well. And as time goes on, the newer communication protocols will virtually eliminate the PDS from any reprogramming capabilities at all and render it as just a simple basic diagnostic tool.

Dave

First off, I have considered buying my own VCM/laptop set-up. I am old school though. When I entered the biz over 25 years ago a tech supplied hand tools and some air tools. The shop at the time charged a whopping $24 bucks an hour labor. The top techs got $12 of it. Along came the need to change the split because the cost of doing business was increasing and certainly we couldn't possibly pass this increase onto the customer, now could we? Now I see techs being asked to purchase "shop tools", and I shake my head. If the tech can afford the tool from their take home pay, why can't the shop afford it? If having the tool yourself so raises your efficency doesn't it also benefit the shop as much or more due to the pay splits seen today? The tax breaks given to the business for tool purchases cannot be matched on my personal tax forms. I just read lately on the Ford boards one tech mention he had purchased his own hoist for at work!

Do I have the money to buy my own tool? Yes. But it scares me where my employer will go if I set a precedent. You guys can laugh if you want, but 25 years ago I thought the top techs by today would need only to bring their skill and desire to repair to the jobsite. I'm saddened.

Do I have the money to buy my own tool? Yes. But it scares me where my employer will go if I set a precedent. You guys can laugh if you want, but 25 years ago I thought the top techs by today would need only to bring their skill and desire to repair to the jobsite. I'm saddened.

Gary, I hear what you are saying. This purchase is my own choice because I am tired of not always having the IDS available when I need it or another tech is buggin me for it while I am using it. I am aggravated beyond words some times. My dealer SHOULD have more scan tools... but times are hard you know? Hmmm, my manager told me he thought he should work something out and do something about the bill for the VCM. I clearly stated that I asked him to order it for me with the intention that I am buying the tool and it WILL BE MY personal property. He understood, still wants to pay for it. So why don't they just buy more scan tools for the shop? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif At least I benefit either way so I am not going to question it.

What I never understood is how a manager could complain about how times are tight and brush off a tech's request for more shop scan tools or an engine stand for the 6.0L etc. then buy some cheesy !@#!?$! Nitrofill setup. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif Its things like that which drove me out of the dealership in such a short time, but thats neither here nor there.

As far as the scan tool goes, I really don't like to share and do a fair amount of side work so I just bought my own. I also have a Matco Determinator for personal use, which comes in handy at the indie shop.

I'm interested in making the purchase myself.

also I have a mac mentor dom., asian, euro. I let other techs use it. and charge the dealer $25 a pop. so far it has been making my payment and then some.

I don't mind having "shop tools" but they aren't free.

the biggest reason I want my own equiptment is because I forsee building a shop either on a piece of my property or buying land elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

I have been running my own Ids system ever since the system has been released. I also have our dealership set on a wireless system. You cannot gor wrong with this investment. No waiting for a scan tool. You can toggle back and forth between IDS, OASIS, and online service information at the touch of your fingertips. It has kept me very productive in a shop with ten techs and only one IDS (not including mine) for the whole shop. IT is by far the best and most prctical diagnostic system I have ever seen Ford come out with. Just my two cents.

You've got that right Jim. Ilso don't have to worry about Oakville calling my dealer principal and having him threaten to take my password and inford ID away either.

But I must admit that Jim and Dwayne really have a knack for keeping the good INFORD censor-nazis on their toes... as well as giving me the odd chuckle with my morning vodka. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Alex, A while ago I got an "attaboy" from John Cannataro for a previous post of some sort the same day I had two posts that didn't make it and one that got pulled...

Go figure...

Thank you Dwayne.

Jim, I don't imagine that you've had the pleasure being way out west, but John Canatarro was certainly an excellent instructor, and he was without a doubt on the technicians side the short while that he was running PROTECH. I do miss him being around, but not at the expense of him becomming a "yes man".

• 2 months later...

My VCM finally arrived! For those not paying attention it only took a little over 15 weeks to get since I ordered it on 01/19/07. We called last Friday to see what was going on and were told that there were 57 in and mine was on that list... "be there in 7 to 10 business days." Two days later it shows up. Should I be suspicious? I think I'll just be happy I got it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Alex... the only instructors I have had have been Daryl Drummond, Ken Garbish and I had the good fortune of being in one of Peter Greys last classes (NVH).

I have spoken with John on a very few occasions... Once he sent me an "attaboy" for something I posted on inFord.... That very same day I had at least three posts "taken under review" and a couple more removed....

Congratulations are in order, Kieth.... Is this kinda like the 3rd child, now?

I might have to consider my own unit now that the new shop is near complete - meaning I will have to add space between my IDSs.

The last three hoists were installed Tuesday and the electricians finished today. The HVAC crew can finish the exhaust extractor next week and we should be finally done (except for pouring the aprons).

I imagine this new toy will be closely guarded?

All this and just in time for OASIS quick start....

And, in another feeble attempt to hi-jack the thread.... I think that quick start is going to pass a lot more info to Ford than we are being told (the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!). Mmmmm, I smell a good thread to start over on the penis polisher website....

My bad....

Congratulations are in order, Kieth.... Is this kinda like the 3rd child, now?

I might have to consider my own unit now that the new shop is near complete - meaning I will have to add space between my IDSs

At this point it is a member of the family considering I chose to create an IDS station, roll cart and all. I ended up upgrading my OS to Widows XP though...

I also now have a PDS set up thanx to some very kind person! It was just the bag and PDA with some cables but with a VCM it is complete so I now have complete flexibility... I just have to get all the software versions to jive, I am having trouble getting the PDS to establish and maintain communications. I just don't had a lot of time to mess with it too deep yet.

I won't even let my VCM sit in my car overnight. When I travel, it's never in my gear or suitcase, it's always in my laptop bag.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

And if I was to tell you how I've seen some guys treating a Toughbook based IDS, tears would well in your eyes....

Every time they make something idiot-proof, they build better idiots.

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman

I won't even let my VCM sit in my car overnight. When I travel, it's never in my gear or suitcase, it's always in my laptop bag.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

When I finish building my diagnostic cart I'll take a picture. I am already in the habit of disconnecting the VCM and placing it in a drawer, closing the laptop and closing the lid on my cart. My coworkers can call me a bitch all they want. I bought it for me, not for them and notably because of them as Jim has touched upon. There have been some real characters working at our place in the past that were brutal with the equipment who are no longer with us. There are still a couple that don't respect the IDS unit as they should. Leaving it unplugged in the middle of the shop... leaving vehicle sessions open or frozen in a test session then casting it aside... allowing the VCM to lay on the floor while in use, sometimes in oil and antifreeze. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif