Mustang Mach-E SUV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Ford just officially announced the arrival of the new Mustang Mach-E electric SUV. I haven't read much of the information yet but I do like the looks of it and the electric vehicle part of it. But I find it a little odd that Ford decided to attach the Mustang name to it. I am actually puzzled in fact. I consider the Mustang to be a different concept altogether and a very different vehicle. I am of the opinion that a new vehicle like this one should be deserving of it's own identity.

2021-ford-mustang-mach-e.jpg

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/2021/

The Mustang name has HUGE value and recognition. There are a LOT of people that know it but it is sports car and that ain't their gig. A BEV with that name instantly gives it cred with millions. There has been credible conversations a few times about GM leveraging the Corvette name in this way but so far the defenders of that model have won those battles. I'm an old fart that likes Mustang being a sports car so it ain't my cup o' tea but I'm not the CEO of a storied motor car company that could use a huge hit in an all important product area.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its totally wrong to call it a mustang, Aside from a few design shape similarity's its nothing like a mustang. The overall vehicle is great and a good start to electric vehicles for ford but its a shame they had to call it a mustang, They should have stuck with just Mach E or something, anything but mustang. I think it was all for the controversy and getting people to take notice. 

It's amazing sometimes how quickly manufacturers will make eleventh hour decisions or changes when public pressure comes into play. Look at the Ford Probe. THAT car was destined to become the new Mustang at the time, before it's release for those of you old enough to remember. Well, apparently news of this didn't sit well with Mustang enthusiasts all over, so Ford listened and out came the '87 to '93 generation that sold like hot cakes. And look at how the Probe turned out. Can you imagine imagine, the outcome if Ford had actually followed through with that plan? If so, I would have predicted a monumental failure, worse than the '74 to '78 generation. I'm in the same camp as those who feel a different moniker would better suit the upcoming all electric SUV.

• 1 year later...