16 Transit - 3.2L hole in # 3 piston

Rate this topic

Bad engine - Do they have to come out the bottom or can it be pulled thru the front ? our hoist situation is poor at best . . . . let alone the engine / powertrain table is non existent  . . . . .

22 hours ago, LeRoy said:

Bad engine - Do they have to come out the bottom or can it be pulled thru the front ? our hoist situation is poor at best . . . . let alone the engine / powertrain table is non existent  . . . . .

I"ve pulled a 3,7 out thru the front - sounds good - I'M pullin it thru the front

On 7/14/2020 at 2:44 PM, miketremblay said:

GOOD LUCK, I HAD HEAD GASKETS AND PULLED OUT THE BOTTOM, NOT A GOOD JOB I'D RATHER PULL A 6.0 OUT OF A VAN

Hey, hey, hey. That's getting a little drastic. The 6.0 E-Series is one vehicle I do NOT miss working on.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, LeRoy said:

I"ve pulled a 3,7 out thru the front - sounds good - I'M pullin it thru the front

If God forbid, I'm ever into needing to pull an engine out of one of these rat turds, you better believe it's coming out through the front! I'm in the middle of replacing a front crank seal on one right now, and it's the first time I've discovered how much simpler removing the front clip is. Fuck dealing with seized cross member bolt bullshit.

Leave that noise for the front end guys when they replace steering racks.:evil:

• Like 1

I have a Transit waiting for it's possible 3rd engine - I had the factory engine out when the truck was new for a leak at the rear main cover... since then it had a used engine installed and when it failed I replaced it with a new long  block back in December. Now it is back with low compression in cylinder #1 and the right turbo is wasted. I think I will be going with the out the front option this time just for the experience.

• 1 month later...

I got one here now that I just replaced the EGR cooler 8K kms. (5K miles) ago back in July, now blowing coolant out the degas bottle the moment the engine is started before it even reaches 170F. Repeated relative compression tests consistently return with cylinder #3 low. Steve and LeRoy, is this some kind of pattern failure trend happening here? I can smell diesel fumes from the bottle too. Anyone ever had a repeat EGR cooler failure, or is it looking like it's going toward engine replacement time?

The only one I’ve seen is the lack of compression in #3 cyl due to the inj stuck open and customer failing to recognize the fact that the further ya drive the more damage it would cause and the longer it would take to repair said same engine 

On 8/29/2020 at 10:48 AM, LeRoy said:

The only one I’ve seen is the lack of compression in #3 cyl due to the inj stuck open and customer failing to recognize the fact that the further ya drive the more damage it would cause and the longer it would take to repair said same engine 

Me too. 

We had some dude call us from Ford when we where looking into getting an engine ordered. He wanted to know what cylinder was low on compression. He told us that they where having a issues with #3 piston failing. He was very tight on any other details.

• Like 1