coolant loss- 2004 F450

Rate this topic

i've seen it , it usually blows out the cap or leaks out through the egr cooler, there's a tsb, but i can't access it right now , on how to test for the leak, lift just the back end of the truck up, remove the egr valve , put pressure to the cooling system, if you see coolant pooling in the egr passages it's the cooler leaking...... if it isn't leking there it's probably head gaskets

Yeah, often times if the cooler is blown out bad enough, you'll actually see coolant & wet spots all over the carbon stuck to the EGR valve.

This also practically necessitates a turbo removal and inspection too, seeing as the coolant results in more moisture in the exhaust and therefore, over time, can have a profound effect on unison ring mobility.

Dave

im going to tell you guys this because hotline keeps telling me this. HEADGASKETS DO NOT GO BAD. Unless the its got a chip overboosting the turbo, badly maintained, or excessivly overloaded, the gaskets do not go bad. He said if anything the bolts stretch CAUSING U TO THINK IT HEADGASKETS. And wut do you change when you do headgaskets?????? EGR coolers and oil coolers. They said majority of headgasket jobs are just coolers. I've seen it in action too so i believe them.

Yes, I agree that it's not actually the gaskets that fail. But the bolt stretching is a HUGE problem, and I can tell you that every single set of cylinder heads I've ever removed from a 6.0 for a "head-gasket" concern, the heads were warped FAR beyond the minimum spec. Even according to the updated surface-flatness checking procedure.

I've had some that were out .009"!!! Of course the gasket will not be able to compensate for such a retarded amount of warpage, and the cylinder heads end up getting replaced with new gaskets as well. The '06 + models, with the larger/stronger bolts, have so far proved to be problem free with us. I've had a couple '05's with trashed heads and honestly probably 20 or so '03-'04 models that required cylinder head replacement as well. Once the bolts stretch, the head can lift off the deck and this almost always ends up in a head casting that could be a spokesmodel for Ruffles potato chips.

Dave

Everytime I do the valve train updates I worry about having a head gasket failure while on a road test. Every head that I have removed has always been warped, so removing the head bolts one at a time to replace the rocker arms has me wondering if I am disturbing the gasket enough to leak.