Bye bye 3.0L diesel?

Rate this topic

I'm in TX and you can't spit in the middle of nowhere without it landing on an F150 but they are very scarcely seen here. The Ram 3.0 has a well earned bad reputation and that seems to have choked its numbers here. The GM 3.0 has the plastic oil pump belt in the flex plate end of engine and its whole aftertreatment stack mounted close to side of engine in engine bay. Hate to be skeptic but plastic bits on engine and in cooling system in an extra hot engine bay...I can't find anything good about that unless you are a GM tech 5-6 years from now.

Not a good choice in the bunch really.

22 hours ago, Keith Browning said:

I haven't even driven one.  With all of the people that were clamoring for Ford to put a diesel into the F150 you would think they would have sold a lot more.  

.....and hence why Ford decided to pull the plug on it. The low take rate, I personally think is the biggest contributor to the decision. The biggest mistake they made in its release, is only offering it on high trim level trucks, making an already expensive truck even more expensive with the added cost of this engine option.

I think it has been a marketing f**k up since release. Around here the half ton GM's with the duramax 3.0l are hot sellers. Most people I talk to don't even know that the F-150 has a diesel option.

• 1 month later...

Funny thing now is the PowerBoost door emblem is easily mistaken for the Powerstroke one🤣🤪. I thought we were getting a lot of Powerstokes. They are mostly PowerBoosts. 

16 hours ago, lmorris said:

Funny thing now is the PowerBoost door emblem is easily mistaken for the Powerstroke one🤣🤪. I thought we were getting a lot of Powerstokes. They are mostly PowerBoosts. 

HA!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices. The emblems do look suspiciously similar don't they? To be honest, I'm very glad Ford has decided to discontinue the 3.0L diesel in the F-150 as well as the 3.2L diesel in the Transits. The complexity of all the powertrain options in today's vehicle puts more than enough on our plate in my opinion.