6.4 Fuel Economy???

Rate this topic

It's hard to gauge because fuel economy is going to be very directly related to fuel quality as well. I've heard that 5-8% on average seems to be the going figure, though.

I will mention that *****if***** say, someone happens to flash-tune the ECU & eliminate DPF strategy, then fuel mileage will actally be higher than that of a similarly tuned 6.0.

Dave

It's hard to gauge because fuel economy is going to be very directly related to fuel quality as well. I've heard that 5-8% on average seems to be the going figure, though.

I will mention that *****if***** say, someone happens to flash-tune the ECU & eliminate DPF strategy, then fuel mileage will actally be higher than that of a similarly tuned 6.0.

Dave

Well that pretty much stands to reason, but I wonder just how much fuel is being dumped?

Seems that even a gallon would be an aweful lot.

BTW, Has anyone experienced a regen? I did! With the EGR throttle wide open, cleared the class out, and stunk for the rest of the day.

I shut it down while it was happening and then checked the EGTs

number three reached just over 1000 dgrs F.

Seems in school that the third class third workgroup got the pleasure of gettin' the regen.

I told the guys about it and asked that if it happens when I have one in the shop, TO PLEASE NOT PUMMEL ME.

• 2 weeks later...

Two new owners that I have talked to and were previous 6.0L owners have said it's about the same. This was at the 12 to 14 mpg range. Both are in construction with a double axle trailer and a bobcat on the rig. One truck has 9K for mile already.

I hear is supposed to be the same as a 6.0 within about 1/2 mpg due to the regen. kinda hard to tell since its so early, gotta break in that new engine

I had one today with terrible fuel mileage. The IDS fuel economy monitor pegged it at 47 L/100KM, which in English is a tad better than 5 MPG. Turns out that this vehicle has been city driven since new, and has been trying to complete a regen for a LONG time... I had to perform a manual regeneration and it bumped the mileage all the way up to 23 L/100KM. It did however also have all the symptoms of a regen in progress, i.e. fast idle, fan noise, lack of power. I informed the customer that it was regenerating... to that he asked what that means /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif. As for mileage, the cat I talked to at hotline says these bad boys are supposed to get about 15 MPG... but 5-6 MPG is normal during regen...

• 2 weeks later...

Had a guy in earlier this week with my first check engine light and his dash was reporting 13.2MPG which is not off from what I have seen with other trucks with a 6.0 or even a 7.3. Okay, I hear the on board fuel computer is not renowned for accuracy but it does give a basis for comparison. When we delivered the first trucks we got in the weather was very cold here for NJ and there were immediate complaints of about 10MPG. New truck? Cold weather? Lead foot? Nobody has come directly to me complaining about !@#!?$! poor mileage yet so it can't be all that bad. It seems to me that anywhere between 12 and 16 MPG in general is the norm for these trucks and I wonder if the new engine will fall into the same range but a lot falls on the usage and the driver... I know of a couple older trucks getting close to 20 but they are mostly highway trucks.

I know there is a PID for DPF status, but this one for some reason would not come off of "active", but the DPF pressure was only at around 0.12 psi. Even after I let it run out in the lot for nearly 2 hours. When the PID is active, it won't allow you to run a manual regeneration. What I ended up doing was disconnecting the batteries, then hooking it all back up and the running a manual regeneration. It's worked well up until now (knock on wood). I called hotline on it, and they were stumped on why I had to do that too...

I know there is a PID for DPF status, but this one for some reason would not come off of "active", but the DPF pressure was only at around 0.12 psi. Even after I let it run out in the lot for nearly 2 hours. When the PID is active, it won't allow you to run a manual regeneration. What I ended up doing was disconnecting the batteries, then hooking it all back up and the running a manual regeneration. It's worked well up until now (knock on wood). I called hotline on it, and they were stumped on why I had to do that too...

There are some pretty significant bugs in the Regen strategy that Ford is working on. There will be a reflash coming that addresses those. When? Not entirely sure....

- Jay