1988 Crown Vic

Rate this topic

ErickBaker

I have an '88 Crown Vic with a 5.0L in it. Customer recently replaced plugs, wired, cap, and rotor. Now it has a slight misfire under light acceleration. I found cylinder 8's spark plug to be oil fouled. Wasn't there a TSB or SSM out about this concern? I seem to remember hearing about this a few times but never remember seeing a solution. Any help is appreciated.

I do recall alot of guys changing valve seals for this condition, but if my memory serves me correctly, I'd check for a restricted screen under the PCV valve before going too much further.

Damn and I just threw out all my old printed TSBs.

Anyways look for the clogged PCV screen, and the TSB was related to the intake breather system PCV hose assembly, what would happen is oil would collect in the upper plenum and get injested into number 8 fouling the plug.

It seems to me that there was a hose rerouting and or a change of nipple position.

Damn thats a long time ago.

Quote:
No kidding... I was 12 when that beast was built!

HA I was getting out of high school
I'm slightly ashamed to admit it but I had the same problem with a C/V about a two years ago the car would come back about every 1 to 1-1/2 months with the plug fouled. it belonged to an old guy who drove it less than 1k a year and because I didn't want to make the poor old buzzard pay a lot of money to revamp the PVC hoses (I had replaced the screen) I got one of those "ALDOR" plugs that "fire in oil" from the parts store and put it in.
The good news is that car still ran great about two months ago when it had a safety and emissions inspection, but the bad news is I just read the guys obituary in the paper today. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif

I remember them from my days as a tune-up tech. Just about every 5.0 that came in for an emissions test would fail HC. On the bright side, I have yet to see any PowerStroke fail an emissions test.

Just to update you guys. We informed the customer that there was a problem with the PCV system and we were trying to find the TSB information. The customer decided he didn't want to spend any money on it so he took the car.

I did however clean the plugs and clean the screen. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif I also noticed very minimal carbon fouling on two other cylinders but eight was the worst.

Alex... my son was born in 1988.....

FWIW, both the 5.0 and the 5.8 had a nasty habit.... the corner bolts on the intake manifold could rot off and allow coolant leaks.... but this was only on those with the aluminum intake manifolds. We never saw that problem on those with the cast iron intakes....

Suddenly, I feel so very, very old....

Alex... my son was born in 1988.....

I started working on Fords in 1988 just two years into the business and fresh out of technical school. I think it was a good time to get in because that was the real beginning of feedback engine controls and I grew up with electronics watching it all develop. Being the new/diesel guy I didn't get any driveability problems on gas cars, nor did I get any tune-ups! I did quite a few truck engines... 5.0L and 5.8L engines had a habit of burning oil under the intake manifold where the EGR ports ran. A thick, scaly crust would form compounded by the fact many of these commercial truck owners rarely changed the oil. The crust would eventually start falling off and clog the oil pick-up. The result should be obvious.

• 3 months later...

This thread was really helpful today. I was working on a 1990 E250 with a 5.8 and it had a fouled plug in #8. I remember having a couple with cracked pistons, but this one did not. I couldn't remember why it was fouled out. Lets face it. I was 15 years old working as a bagger at a grocery store at my first job when this thing rolled off the assembly line. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

One of my current spare time jobs is doing some cosmetic and tune up work on the bosses 66 Fairlane ragtop..... I first worked on this year of car when it was still under warranty....

It's got to be a wierd feeling when an apprentice asks what I'm doing and I answer "adjusting the choke pull down... next I have to adjust the break and then I can do the choke pull off...."... and all you get is a blank stare....

"what are those?"...

"breaker points..."

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

• 5 months later...

One of my guys (obviously younger) was looking up an oil filter and commented, "What's a Chevy Vega?"

I was laughing for a minute until I realized how old that made me....

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Or how about a Pinto? We have some younger guy's of Mexican decent working here and while we were talking about the old Pinto's they thought we were talking about the other Pinto's.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

• 2 weeks later...

A 66 Shelby and a 1950 Chevy? Do you guys have the right scantools for theese old cars?

I know it's weird for a dealership, but we have a lot of real good customers that bring us everything they have for anything it needs no matter what the brand or vintage.

It's nice sometimes to have a bit of change in the routine, plus the personal satisfaction of knowing that someone trusts you so fully to leave you with something like a 66 Shelby that's essentially irreplaceable and saying "do whatever YOU THINK it needs and call me whenever it's done".

• 1 month later...

We also work on whatever makes it to our dealership. I spent about 2 weeks last summer going over a 73 Mustang to get it ready for the 150th anniversary parade in our town. I had to rebuild the carb, replace the distributor(it was seized in the block and I had to destroy it to get it out, just to set the timing), replace the gas tank and sender due to corrosion issues, replace the header gaskets, etc. Our D.P. bought 6-1966 Mustangs late last year. 5 from an estate, including a 1966 Shelby. The other one he bought on E-Bay from California. It is a 6 cylinder that he plans to turn into a vintage racer. It and the Shelby have been stripped to the bare bodies, sent out to be dipped and are presently at a body shop being prepped and painted for reassembly. He bought a rotisserie and had a cart made up to roll the bodies around on while stripped. Also, he resurrected a 1953 International van that originally belonged to his grandfather. Our oldest tech re-built and installed the engine, transmission, fuel tank and wiring to the restored frame to allow it to run. The body is also being finished at a local body shop. It is nice to be able to see these projects come together from a rusty piece of junk to a work of art. I am glad to work at a dealership where more than just everyday drivers are worked on.

Bruno, thats cool. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gifI think thats strong that you guys have that kind of dealer to respect you guys back in the shop to work on all of this classic muscle. Just remember Grampy Jim is always there and all of us too, if you need any help.

Thanks, Larry. I will keep you guys in mind. It's great having a resource like that as no one tech can possibly know(or remember)everything. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif