'05 E-450 Branch Tube

Rate this topic

Well Guys, I have one that came in on the hook as a no-start. ICP pressure of 85 PSI cranking P2291 CMDTC. Pushed the truck into the wash bay and started ripping apart only to find the IPR screen sucked into the HPP. As soon as I pulled the HPP cover off, I found the STC fitting COMPLETELY dislodged from the HPP. The branch tube looks like it's resting completely against the rear cover. I understand TSB 06-17-6 pays 23.6 on the E-series ALL INCLUSIVE. But that TSB says to replace the STC fitting and the branch tube ONLY. What about the HPP and the IPR? Is there ANY way I can claim something else as well? I already have everything ripped apart on this truck including the oil pan, only waiting for the lift adapter to arrive Monday morning for our cherrypicker. Any advice you guys can offer? This is the first one I've had to do. Thanks in advance.

I KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO IN THAT CASE /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gifTHAT TSB AND CLAIM DIAG. SHEET AND ALL AVAILABLE

LABOR OPPS THAT CORRESPOND TO THE WORK AT HAND.

AND MAYBE SOME M TIME SO CLOCK THOSE OPPS AND USE THAT PEN

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif

GOOD LUCK

I dont know what all you can claim on The Ford application.But in Internationals we do them "In Chassis"and it is absolutely a Miserable Job.It pays like 18 hrs or something and Cannot No way be done in that timeframe. usually because of the Particular application or Bodystyle and How International loves to Smother the engine with crap and Push it as far back under the cab as they can LOL......Also we get a New IPR,ICP sensor STC fitting and Bracket with Every Branch tube Job Per International.So You should be able to get that out of Ford.Did you pull the pan for Engine removal reasons or what.Just curious.Not that you are not perfectly capable of the Job,But If you have any questions on the proceedure I have done about 8 of them so far and If I can be of any help feel free to ask.With the engine out it should be a Cakewalk.I would also order new Rocker arm clips for the ones you will remove.I have seen them break a week later when re-used not worth the chance

Pushed the truck into the wash bay and started ripping apart only to find the IPR screen sucked into the HPP

The IPR is on the pressure side of the pump and cant technically be "sucked" into the pump. I have seen the plastic ring that holds the screens crack and sometimes stay in the cover/pump when the IPR is removed. If the pieces can be retrieved then there is no reason to replace the pump because of it. Am I wrong? If there seems to be a lot of debris on the IPR then maybe I would. There should also be no problem getting paid for the pump as long as you document the reason why you replaced it. TSB's and even recalls can lead to additional repairs, your manager/warranty person should claim it a "related damage." There are provisions for such occasions and instructions are in the Warranty & Policy Manual.

Did you pull the pan for Engine removal reasons or what.Just curious.Not that you are not perfectly capable of the Job,But If you have any questions on the proceedure I have done about 8 of them so far and If I can be of any help feel free to ask.With the engine out it should be a Cakewalk.I would also order new Rocker arm clips for the ones you will remove.I have seen them break a week later when re-used not worth the chance

I have heard that engine removal on these trucks requires removing the pan & turbo FIRST, before the it can be physically removed from the vehicle. After ripping everything apart, I can definitely see why!!! Do I have to remove the valve covers and engine mounts as well FIRST? They look like they are in the way as well. I still can't believe I was able to strip this sucker down in the short time that I did!!! I know that I have to "exacto knife" the bedplate seals first before I pull the rear cover off. Is there anything else I should beware of, in tackling this job? Should I have the advisor add a second line on the RO for something else, just to recover whatever lost time I can salvage? I'm interested in "fixing" this truck, that's why I'm going through this bullshit. I don't want to see this truck back. I could've just slam dunked an IPR and HPP, and punted the truck, but the two holes for the branch tube connection don't even come close, with the new HPP STC installed, when looking straight down. I may even have to replace the rear engine cover, if it's broken once I have the engine out for further inspection. This is one UGLY looking job!!!

There's not much room for the TorX socket in there.... Take a T27 bit, a 1/4" deep socket (thinwall) and a 10 inch extension. Weld them all together.... No fear of dropped sockets.

I've had a few that the branch tube had been resting against the rear cover, and installed a bracket, and CAREFULLY re-installed everything with good success.

Or, you can always send it to Formula...

I've had a few that the branch tube had been resting against the rear cover, and installed a bracket, and CAREFULLY re-installed everything with good success.

We have the cherrypicker this time. Just not the proper 303-D048 liftbracket. This engine looks impossible to remove with chains secured to the top of the engine. Being a cubevan, prevents lifting the cab off the frame for access.

Mike, I remember the first engine we did in a van, Atom stripped the engine down and had the chain bolted close to the engine with little slack. It also helped to jack the front of the van up to put the boom of the hoist as vertical as possible to reduce interference with the cowl.

Originally Posted By: AlexBruene

We have the cherrypicker this time. Just not the proper 303-D048 liftbracket. This engine looks impossible to remove with chains secured to the top of the engine. Being a cubevan, prevents lifting the cab off the frame for access.
As Jim stated You may want to braze the torx bit on the End of the Extension.Have someone else shine a Light into the Back of the engine and Help guide you onto the Branch tube anchor bolt.Unscrew them and Either get a Good magnet and retrieve them out.Or just leave them in each block and carefully!! lift the assembly up and pull it out the back of the engine.When re-installing the New tube,Get some good heavy wheel bearing grease and pack the Boltholes for the ends of the tube.Set the screws in the grease and set it in there.I always get new standpipe O-rings too.

I don't use the lifting bracket. With the intake and such removed, I attach 2 chains tightly between the heads and slip the boom under the chains.

also there is a TSB out there stating if the IPR screen is damaged to replace the pump. I beleive its on 05 model year and within a certian build date. just fyi

the number excapes me at this time. Ill look for it

This article supersedes TSB 04-25-18 to add a vehicle line and update the vehicle build date information.

ISSUE:

Some 2005 F-Super Duty and E-Series vehicles built prior to 4/15/2005 and Excursions built 1/10/2005 through 4/15/2005, all vehicles equipped with 6.0L engine, may exhibit a crank no start with low injection control pressure (ICP), hard start/long crank with slow to build ICP, or a rough idle with high ICP.

ACTION:

This condition may be due to the injection pressure regulator (IPR) and the high pressure oil pump (HPP). Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove the IPR valve and inspect for deformation of the screen (screen sucked into valve), a hole in the IPR screen, or metal debris covering over half of the IPR screen.

If any of these conditions are present, change the engine oil and oil filter, then replace the HPP and IPR valve. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-04C to replace the HPP or the IPR.

If none of these conditions are present, continue with normal diagnostics.

Start and run engine to confirm repair.

If rough idle is still present, debris may have contaminated a fuel injector(s). Run normal injector diagnostics to identify specific injector(s) before replacement.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

5C3Z-9C968-CA (CM-5126) IPR

5C4Z-9A543-AA High Pressure Oil Pump

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

051203A 2005 F-Super Duty/Excursion: Remove The Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) Inspect No Damage Found Reinstall (IPR) (Do Not Use With 9438A, 9438A3, 9424A, 9968B, 9543A) 1.2 Hrs.

051203A 2005 E-Series: Remove The Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) Inspect No Damage Found Reinstall (IPR) (Do Not Use With 9438A, 9438A3, 9424A, 9968B, 9543A) 1.1 Hrs.

051203B 2005 F-Super Duty/Excursion: Remove The Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) Inspect And Replace The High Pressure Pump (HPP) And The (IPR) (Do Not Use With 9438A, 9438A3, 9424A, 9968B, 9543A) 5.8 Hrs.

051203B 2005 E-Series: Remove The Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) Inspect And Replace The High Pressure Pump (HPP) And The (IPR) (Do Not Use With 9438A, 9438A3, 9424A, 9968B, 9543A) 7.5 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

9C968 X1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2005 Ford Motor Company

Printable View (54 KB)

TSB

06-17-6 HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS - 6.0L

Publication Date: August 25, 2006

FORD: 2005 Excursion

2005-2006 E-Series

2005-2007 F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 06-14-6 to update the service procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2007 F-Super Duty, 2005-2006 E-Series and 2005 Excursion vehicles equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit a hard start / long crank or no start condition due to low injection control pressure (ICP).

ACTION:

Use the Service Procedure to identify a fault with the high or low pressure oil system.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

A minimum of 3.5 MPa (500 psi or 0.8 volts) ICP is required before the injectors are enabled. No or low oil in the system, leakage at the injector upper D-rings, high pressure pump quick connect fitting, high pressure pump discharge tube, faulty injection pressure regulator (IPR), or high pressure pump could cause low ICP pressure.

Perform the revised Powertrain Controls / Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) lead diagnostics Section 4, Hard Start/No Start Diagnostic Procedure Tests 10e and 10f. These tests were revised in January 2006.

NOTE: THE LOW PRESSURE OIL SYSTEM MUST BE WORKING PROPERLY IN ORDER FOR THE HIGH PRESSURE OIL SYSTEM TO BUILD ICP PRESSURE. THIS INCLUDES ADEQUATE PRESSURE AND GOOD QUALITY PROPERLY MAINTAINED OIL.

NOTE: THIS TSB ONLY APPLIES TO REPLACEMENT OF THE HIGH PRESSURE BRANCH TUBE OR SNAP TO CONNECT FITTING IF FOUND DEFECTIVE WHILE PERFORMING PC/ED HARD START / NO START TESTS 10e AND 10f.

If the leak is isolated to the high pressure pump Snap to Connect (STC) quick connect fitting, replace the male and female fittings and install a STC bracket. All the necessary components are included in the STC kit. Follow the installation instructions included in the kit.

Torque the female quick connect fitting to 38 lb-ft (51 N-m) max.

NOTE: DO NOT OVER TORQUE THE FEMALE QUICK CONNECT FITTING OR DAMAGE WILL OCCUR.

NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE HIGH PRESSURE PUMP WHEN REPLACING THE QUICK CONNECT FITTINGS.

If a leak is identified in the branch tube, use the following procedure to replace the branch tube if the vehicle your working on is a F-Super Duty or Excursion. For E-Series, the engine needs to be removed to replace the branch tube. When replacing the branch tube, also install the STC bracket kit.

BRANCH TUBE REPLACEMENT FOR F-SUPER DUTY AND EXCURSION VEHICLES ONLY

Remove the transmission (See the appropriate model year Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01.

NOTE: LEAVE THE FLYWHEEL ON, IT WILL MAKE IT EASIER TO TURN THE ENGINE OVER TO TDC) THE TRANSMISSION FLUID DOES NOT NEED TO BE DRAINED.

Set engine at TDC both cylinder number 1 rocker arms should be loose (See rocker arm removal procedure in the appropriate online WSM, Section 303-01C).

Remove the right and left side high-pressure oil rails.

Remove and inspect both high-pressure standpipes for O-ring wear

Remove fuel injectors from cylinders 6, 7 and 8 (see WSM, Section 303-04C, use Ford Special Service Tool Number 303-1115)

Plug oil drain holes in cylinder head prior to removing the rocker arms. Remove intake and exhaust rocker arms from cylinders number 7 and number 8 then remove the push rods (See WSM, Section 303-01C, use Ford special service tool number 303-1170. The rocker arm plastic retaining clips may break upon removal. Make sure all the pieces are removed from the head.)

Rotate engine 1 full revolution (See WSM, Section 303-01C rocker arm removal procedure.

Remove exhaust rocker arm from cylinder number 6 and push rod (leave tool in place).

Remove the rear cover following WSM, Section 303-01C. Cut the sealant at the rear cover "T" joints for the bedplate gaskets and high-pressure pump cover gasket before fully removing.

NOTE: USE A LONG PUTTY KNIFE OR RAZOR BLADE TO SEPARATE THE BED PLATE GASKETS TO PREVENT DAMAGE. DO NOT STRETCH THE BEDPLATE GASKETS OR THE BEDPLATE WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED.

Loosen the two (2) 8 mm bolts that hold the discharge tube to the branch tube. (Use open end / box end wrench thin)

Insert a 10" long 1/4 locking extension with a T27 locking Torx bit through cylinder number 6 exhaust push rod hole. Use a magnet through the standpipe hole in the head to remove the bolt (the extension will be on a slight angle, have someone under the vehicle watch from the rear cover area to guide the socket on the bolt head of the branch tube hold down).

CAUTION: IF THE TORX BIT IS DROPPED IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE CYLINDER HEAD TO RETRIEVE IT.

Insert a 10" long 1/4" locking extension with a T27 locking Torx bit through cylinder number 7 exhaust push rod hole and loosen the hold down bolt. Use a magnet through the standpipe hole to remove bolt. (The extension will be on a slight angle, have someone under the vehicle watch from the rear cover area to guide the socket on the bolt head of the branch tube hold down).

NOTE: THE BOLT HEAD IS NOT VISIBLE ON THIS SIDE.

CAUTION: IF THE TORX BIT IS DROPPED IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE CYLINDER HEAD TO RETRIEVE IT.

Remove the branch tube from the engine (Replace high-pressure branch tube).

Remove the high-pressure pump discharge tube from the high-pressure outlet fitting, use Ford Special Service Tool Number 303-755 to disconnect it. (Replace high-pressure pump discharge tube).

Remove the outlet fitting from the high-pressure pump (Replace high-pressure pump outlet fitting).

INSTALLATION

Pack the branch tube bolt holes with grease and install retaining bolts in the branch tube flush with the bottom.

If the high pressure (H/P) pump was removed for diagnostics it needs to be installed at this point. Torque the mounting bolts to 26 lb-ft (35 N-m).

Install a new high-pressure pump outlet fitting from the STC Bracket Kit and torque to 38 lb-ft (51 N-m).

Install the two (2) 8 mm bolts into the discharge tube. Snap the new high-pressure discharge tube into the high-pressure outlet fitting. Verify that the fitting is snapped in securely.

Install a new high-pressure branch tube into the block. Start the two (2) 8 mm bolts from the discharge tube into the branch tube. Have someone under vehicle guide and start the hold down bolts through cylinder 7 and cylinder 6 push rod holes. While tightening the branch tube hold down bolts maintain positive outward pressure on the branch tube. Torque the retaining bolts to 10 lb-ft (14 N-m).

Tighten the two (2) 8 mm discharge tube bolts. Torque to 11 lb-ft (15 N-m).

Clean the rear engine cover. Install a new gasket. Add Motorcraft Ultra Silicone Sealant to the bedplate and the H/P pump covers joints. Install the rear engine cover. Torque to 18 ft-lb (24 N-m).

Install a new rear main seal using Ford Special Service Tool Number 303-770

Install rear main seal dust cover

Install the flywheel. NEW FLYWHEEL BOLTS REQUIRED.

Install the starter.

Install push rod and rocker arm in cylinder number 6.

Rotate engine 1 full revolution

Install push rods and rocker arms in cylinders number 7 and number 8

Install stand pipes. (Replace if damaged)

Install fuel injectors.

Install high-pressure oil rails. (WSM, Section 303-04C)

Install the valve covers.

Install the fuel injector control model (FICM).

Install the air filter housing.

Install coolant overflow tank.

Install right side charge air cooler (CAC) tube. (Hot Side)

Install the transmission.

Change engine oil and filter.

Check all fluid levels.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

4C3Z-9B246-A STC Bracket Kit

5C3Z-9J332-B Branch Tube

3C3Z-6379-BA Flywheel Bolt (Auto Trans - 10 per repair

3C3Z-6379-CA Flywheel Bolt (Manual - 10 per repair)

TA-29 Motorcraft Ultra Silicone Sealant

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

061706A 2005-2007 Super Duty, 2005 Excursion 6.0L 4X2/4X4 All Transmissions: Perform PC/ED Lead Diagnosis, Install STC Bracket And/Or Replace The Snap To Connect (STC) Fittings, Road Test To Verify Repair: (This Labor Operation Is All Inclusive And May Not Be Claimed With Other Labor Operations) 8.0 Hrs.

061706B 2005-2006 Econoline 6.0L: Perform PC/ED Lead Diagnosis, Install STC Bracket, And/Or Replace The Snap To Connect (STC) Fittings, Road Test To Verify Repair: (This Labor Operation Is All Inclusive And May Not Be Claimed With Other Labor Operations) 10.6 Hrs.

061706C 2005-2007 Super Duty 6.0L 4X2 Manual Transmission: Perform PC/ED Lead Diagnosis, Replace The Branch Tube, Install STC Bracket And/Or Replace The Snap To Connect (STC) Fittings, Road Test To Verify Repair: (This Labor Operation Is All Inclusive And May Not Be Claimed With Other Labor Operations) 14.4 Hrs.

061706D 2005-2007 Super Duty 6.0L 4X4 Manual Transmission: Perform PC/ED Lead Diagnosis, Replace The Branch Tube, Install STC Bracket And/Or Replace The Snap To Connect (STC) Fittings, Road Test To Verify Repair: (This Labor Operation Is All Inclusive And May Not Be Claimed With Other Labor Operations) 15.9 Hrs.

061706E 2005-2007 Super Duty, 2005 Excursion 6.0L 4X2 Automatic Transmission: Perform PC/ED Lead Diagnosis, Replace The Branch Tube, Install STC Bracket And/Or Replace The Snap To Connect (STC) Fittings, Road Test To Verify Repair: (This Labor Operation Is All Inclusive And May Not Be Claimed With Other Labor Operations) 15.4 Hrs.

061706F 2005-2007 Super Duty, 2005 Excursion 6.0L 4X4 Automatic Transmission: Perform PC/ED Lead Diagnosis, Replace The Branch Tube Install STC Bracket And/Or Replace The Snap To Connect (STC) Fittings, Road Test To Verify Repair: (This Labor Operation Is All Inclusive And May Not Be Claimed With Other Labor Operations) 16.4 Hrs.

061706G 2005-2006 Econoline 6.0L: Perform PC/ED Lead Diagnosis, Remove Engine To Replace The Branch Tube, Install STC Bracket And/Or Replace The Snap To Connect (STC) Fittings, Road Test To Verify Repair: (This Labor Operation Is All Inclusive And May Not Be Claimed With Other Labor Operations) 23.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

9B246 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2006 Ford Motor Company

Well guys, BOTH these TSBs apply this particular vehicle. The IPR valve screen was lodged inside the HPP AND the STC fitting was blown off damaging the branch tube and rear cover. The question is WHICH TSB do I claim? Notice how it says "This Labor Operation Is All Inclusive And May Not Be Claimed With Other Labor Operations" at the bottom of 061706G for 23.8 HRS.

• 2 weeks later...