Foreman or Line Tech???

Rate this topic

LR Mike

OK guys, I'm looking for a litte independent advise here, and would appreciate anything I can get.

I'm considering a position in a bigger, truck focused Ford shop in the next city. It would mean shifting back to a full line tech as opposed to Shop Foreman in the F/L/M shop where I am now. Of course some of the immediate advantages are an almost certain increase in annual income and being able to have control over my pay again, no more Lincolns, and no getting caught in the middle of 'STUPID' (anyone whose ever been a foreman knows what I mean there!)

The biggest disadvantage is the commute - 53 miles as opposed to my current 3 miles!

The other dealership focuses on fleet sales, and most of the service work is F-250 up to F-650 (6.0L only) They have a seperate shop for big trucks and Sterling.

OK - anyone else made this type of step? I though accepting the foreman position was moving up, but it turned into getting caught in the middle and fixing other techs screw-ups or can't fix issues, all that with no increase in pay.

Thanks for any words of encouragement or discouragement you all may have!

Mike... even now we are still going 'round and 'round over my pay.... Each payday, I am making more than I could have as line tech (without busting my chops real hard) but they have to "top me off" to do it. I'd like something a little more comfortable than "top me off"...

For me, I have traded a lot of real grunt work for the mind puzzles and getting caught in the middle of "STUPID" (which, sometimes has it's rewards Posted Image ).

Stress level, for me, is about the same both ways - the gun pointed at my head is a different colour, now... And I sure don't miss lifting those 19.5 inch wheels on to the side of my old hoist.

Bottom line.... it's all about what you feel comfortable with... how and who you are when you get home from work...

Seems like there's a lot of divorced techs out there.... My loving bride and I are at something like 33, maybe 34 years. I will admit, though, to having a personal relationship with both Mr Seagram and Captain Morgan - two fine gentlemen that, when visited in semi-moderation, can ease the pains of the work-a-day world.

Thanks for the response, Jim.

I've been in a similar situation before - but then they were insisting I work 6 days a week, plus 1 extended shift each week - about 60 hrs, so the choice to give up a little money and have family time was an easy one. I know that one was a huge relief! This time, thoough, the politics of the 'hometown dealer' and the fact we are actually owned by a parent corp who dictates based on dollars with noreal idea as to what is going on is also part of where the frustrations are. The idea of just doing my job and not someone elses is sounding good. Sometimes there's only so much 'stupid' you can take!

Also the extra money potential is very enticing - Here I've never been able to get fully back to whre I was on the line financially, and doubt I will..

I keep forgetting that a lot of you guys don't have much in the way of labour laws... Anything over 44 per week (except for piecework - aka flat rate) cannot be made "mandatory" and overtime must be paid. One week goes from Monday morning to Sunday night so they can't take 4 hours from one week and 4 hours from the next to make you work an 8 hour Saturday...

Alberta has 9 statutory holidays... if you have to work one of these, you get paid a LOT even if you are piecework.

The 53 mile commute is a double bladed sword. It could be good that you have time to decompress before you get home like Jim was eluding to. Depending on the type of driving the majority of the 53 miles are the ride could be enough to get you wound up too not to mention the cost of fuel these days. Personally I hate commuting. Good luck with your decision what ever it is.

I WAS CONSIDERING CHANGING CAREERS, TO BE AN OFFSHORE DRILLING RIG MECHANIC, WORKING 28/28 . OVER ON THE MED. SEA OFF THE COAST OF ISRAEL, 6 MILES FROM GAZA STRIP MAKING CLOSE TO $500.00 PER DAY . BUT HEZBOLLAH CHANGED MY MIND AS OF RIGHT NOW. I'M SHOP FOREMAN NOW FOR ABOUT 4 YRS.NOW. STILL THE SAME OLD BULLSHIT. ALONG WITH BEING THE 6.0 DUMB ASS. GOOD LUCK ON WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE TO DO.

I was foreman and commuting 200 miles a day before i changed to a locate dealer. i'm just a regular tech now and have no worries about anything except my own vehicles. what a relief but on the other hand i went from an hourly shop to a flat rate shop and cant call in sick whenever i need a mental health day. there is always pluses and minuses.

Well Mike, I feel for you. Right now I'm a working shop foreman and resident 6.0L doctor. so needless to say my days are long and hard, my off time is spent wondering how long I can keep doing both jobs before I burn out. Good luck with your decision. Would like to know which you end up liking better, Posted Image

OK - I had a chance to spend a few hours talking to the other shop-

$30.00 an hour, a helper, flexible work hours, bonus plan on productivity, very laid back and professional shop, more work than they know what to do with - If they were a short commute I believe I'd already be there! Am I being too cautious by not jumping on this opportunity?? Posted Image

Nah! Most people fear a change even if where they are is bad. It sounds like the commute is whats holding you back. The new place you describe sounds a lot like where I am. We have several guys that commute from Pennsylvania- an hour away. I guess it's worth it to them.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, just an update for those curious -

I've officially resigned here at the F/L/M dealer. My last day will be the end of this month, then start my hour long commute!

I'll let everyone know how it works out, but already I can see blue sky out there.... Posted Image