dabling in the 'black arts'

Rate this topic

Ok, I have tryed to stay away from opening an automatic transmission for the past 15 years, and i must admit it's been a good run! Don't have the most transmisison experience.

Vehicle 97 Explorer 5R55E

Coming off a weekend trip with the Mrs. and the transmission start to make a fast ratcheting noise. Noise occurs when vehicle is traveling over 110kph and letting off of the throttle. Put it into N and noise goes away, apply a bit of throttle and it goes away. Still has power and drove another 80km to get home.

Any ideas to send me on the right direction would be greatly apreciated

Time to grit your teeth, Chris... this ain't going to be any different than the first time you did <whatever>.....

First things first..... and this really feels strange to have to ask a shop foreman this..... is this a 2WD, AWD, ControlTrac or????? Are we sure that the noise is from the trans..... Be sure to check OASIS...... Do you have a transmission "guru" in your shop that can help....

As shop foreman... this is where we prove our mettle..... Perform a "full meal deal" driveability test on the trans (outlined in the WSM).... One might expect shift quality concerns with any noises.... Check trans pressures...Drop the pan and check for debris. Since you work for a dealer, I would almost bet that your trans is overdue for a service (physician, heal thyself!!!!).

Before I returned to dealership employ, the last trans I went deep into was a TH350... back in the 70s.... Now (30something years later) I regularly dip into transmissions either as the repairing tech or as a leader. The same logic that allows us to repair a diesel engine should drive our transmission diagnosis...... providing this is a transmission concern....

FWIW, in my limted experience with the 5R55, I see concerns with the (IIRC) direct clutch or the rear over-running clutch... The first can give harsh engagements/shifting and other minor complaints... the latter a no drive concern in D or manual 1st...

Let's get a definite source of the noise and some basic testing out of the way.... then we can get into the repair phase.....

Noise is in your t-case most likely. I own one and it did same thing. Tore t-case down and found problem with planet assy/sun gear on input shaft moving in and out. Mine was too far gone to fix so I put a unit in it.

Just replaced the valve body gaskets for delayed 2-3 shift befrore leaving on the trip (600km round trip) no abnormal amounts of "fur" on the magnet and the fluid was normal.

4x4 is ControlTrac automatic enguagment.

Haven't been back to work yet to do any real testing, only an real long test drive /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Transmission shifting normally, no harsh upshift or downshift, fluid level is within the operating range, no abnormal smell to the fluid.

Will have to get the rig back to work before I can really do any testing. Wifes vehicle, and I work an hour away from home.

Just throwing out a question to take advantage of the vast brain pool that is out there. When it comes to transmissions, I'm still putting on the water wings to get into the wadding pool.

Flamaz, How was the fluid in the transfer case before disassembly?

Thanks for the input.

The fluid was done. My wife bought the rig a '97 with 125,000 on it with out my knowledge. I just came home one day and there it was in the yard. So I did not get to check it out before it was ours. Couple of weeks later the noise showed up and I thought it was in the trans and I actually pulled the trans. I found out real quick it wasn't, but it gave me a chance to freshen up the clutches and seals. Like I said my t-case was pretty rough and my wife wanted her "new" rig back so I just swapped it out. The truck has 200,000 on it and it's mine now (wife got a new rig so I got her hand me down) and it still purrs like a kitten. I wouldn't think twice about driving it across country today if I had to.

These t-cases get a lot of abuse, I actually lock into 4x4 anytime conditions allow. It cuts out alot of wear and tear on the clutches.

• 1 year later...

Took me a while to come across another failure as the one in this post, but I finally had one break again, actually we had two back to back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This particular t-case out of a '97 exploder, had a pick up for the pump break which in turn allowed the whole unit to wear abnormally. The shift fork then doesn't keep the sleeve engaged in the planet assy and it will back out ever so slightly when not under a load. Kinda like how you can slip a manual trans out of gear when coasting but you can't when your in the throttle.