Leather Jacket

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Did you fellas see this today? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Quote:
"6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Certified" Leather Jacket

To further recognize the commitment and competency of our diesel certified technicians we are pleased to announce that all Specialty 51 diesel certified technicians who:

Had completed the new 6.4L Diesel Engine Theory and Operation Web Based Course (51S10W0) by March 31, 2007, and,

Complete the new 6.4L Diesel Engine Diagnosis and Repair Classroom Course (51S11T0) by September 28, 2007,

will receive a custom made leather jacket featuring an image of the 2008 Super Duty truck, the words "6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Certified" and the PTS logo.

For complete details, see the Dealer Communication ""6.4L PowerStroke Diesel Certified" Leather Jacket", published August 3, 2007.

If you have completed the web-based course by March 31, and the classroom course before September 28, Click here to enter your STARS2 ID to order your jacket.

Don't be upset Alex, I don't think I would want to be lynch mobbed from wearing that jacket in public.

Can you picture it? Me screaming and running with a whole bunch of pissed off customers running after me yelling and screaming behind me, you guys said it was a better truck.

There's always Ebay. I wonder how much it would fetch? And I am sure if you wanted to sell it, one of our Canadian peers would probably be interested since it seems to be a U.S. offering. Jim would be the cat's ass up in Slave Lake being the only kid in town with one!

There's always Ebay. I wonder how much it would fetch? And I am sure if you wanted to sell it, one of our Canadian peers would probably be interested since it seems to be a U.S. offering. Jim would be the cat's ass up in Slave Lake being the only kid in town with one!

That comment will fetch about a 2 page reply from him /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

After the tirade I unleashed in another thread, I'm not sure I could muster a two pager.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I have some old curmudgeon ideas about flogging "specialty apparel" (clothing that indicates some personal achievement within one organization or another) to deskammisados (this would be "Joe Average" to those not familiar with the life and times of Eva Peron.... literal translaton is "the shirtless ones"... a reference to the great unwashed masses).

While a jacket, or a plaque, or a watch or some other trinket will make some feel that Ford (or some other entity) is trying placate them, it is still a symbol of achievement.... an "I did this" that we can wear on our backs and display to the world.... It's not a big deal, but we shouldn't expect a "big deal" for doing our jobs. Be it a hat, a lapel pin or a jacket, someone has recogniized our efforts and, within the budget constraints given them, they are desparately trying to do something politically correct where, perhaps, nothing should be attempted....

None-the-less.... US techs are regularly offered tokens of thanks that we northern types rarely get to see... Now... I'm all for the occasional "attaboy".. I love 'em... but they aren't the be all/end all . If I don't get them, I don't miss them...

Ever notice that some folks are "certificate pigs"? These people have certificates hanging all over the place... in their office, their rumpus room, where-ever.... some folks have a stack of certificates stuffed in a box - can't bring themselves to throw them away b ut can't bring themselves to puff themselves up that much either (what about that bowling trophy? or the horses ass I won at curling one year because having fun meant more than winning)...

Look at it this way.... someone gave you a leather jacket that you don't really have a use for..... what better time to buy a new motorcycle to go along with it????

Interestingly, last year dealer council and Ford bandied about a proposal to increase diesel rates for the techs. Well, that would be an automatic increase that would be a hard to control cost. So we got the "heat is on" gimmick instead. They knew up front the pay out limit so there was some security. Salesman just love their little contests.

By the way, if I wanted another leather jacket, I'd just go out to the Buffalo Chip and roll a drunk biker. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I got this e-mail the other day

Quote:
Diesel Certified Technicians,

Congratulations on qualifying for this fantastic jacket. We are extremely proud of the initiative you took to keep yourself trained and up-to-date on the latest product.

The Tall sizes, Small and 5X were way more popular than we ever anticipated. For each size, we ordered 20% of them as Tall, and technicians ordered many more than that! So, we are currently back-ordered on Talls, Small and 5X sizes. We are quickly having our jacket manufacturer make additional jackets, and we will keep you updated as to when we expect your jacket to ship.

At least it's still August, and you shouldn't need a jacket for a few more months. Thanks for your patience…and stay tuned.

Shawn Alexander

Technician Recognition and

Communications Manager

Ford Motor Company

Bah.... Humbug.... So you US techs got some cheap leather jacket... we Canadians got a..... ummmmm.... we got...... errrrr.... well......

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

We should take even the smallest recognition of our efforts as proof that we might be making a difference.... no matter how it may seem in the long run.

In spite of what I may seem, I remain the eternal optomist (mind you, I do have it pretty good)... Moaning about what we don't have takes away from the joy of what we do have....

"Cheer up... things are never so bad that they can't get worse" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

I ordered a 2X tall

Soooo, your the reason I'm not getting my jacket quickly.

Or...

Is it my fault your not gettin' yours? Posted Image

Jim is jealous he cant not be part of the diesel gang in thier leather jackets, j/k jim /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

what I want to know is how a guy that wears a 5X fits under the hood?

Jim is jealous he cant not be part of the diesel gang in their leather jackets, j/k Jim /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

I read over on The Diesel Stop that Jim rides a High Horse! He needs a good pair of leather chaps, not a jacket!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eeeesh.gif