BLACK SMOKE ON INITIAL ACCELERATION

Rate this topic

YOU GUYS SEE ANY ISSUES WITH THICK BLACK SMOKE AT INITIAL ACCELERATION,RUNS GREAT,LOTS OF POWER.NO DTC'S AND PASSES HIGH PRESSURE FUEL TEST,POWERBALANCE LOOKS SMOOTH. SEEMED TO HAPPEN AFTYER FUEL FILTER CHANGE AND NEVER WENT AWAY SINCE 150 MILES. USED MOTORCRAP FUEL FILTER. HAS 7450 MILES.THANKS GUYS

Wow. I doubt I can help you fix this truck, but I'm surprised that thick smoke can make it through the DPF. How's STFT per cylinder in datalogger-all even? I might think the FRP sensor could be biased, but that's just a guess. I'd be looking at the DPF PSI and voltage to see what's going on there. Is it possible the DPF is broken/damaged/modified/inop? Could this be a normal truck with a bad DPF? Is it a complaint from the owner, or did you happen to notice it?

Sorry for all the questions.....

Trust me, they want them back. With all the precious metals in them, they are not cheap. In fact, the OEM is trying to keep the aftermarket from making any sort of replacements by not releasing any of the specs.

Your best bet is to troll the boneyards and find a guy willing to sell one.

- Jay

Boy, I'd really like to have that SOB. If by some slim chance they don't call for it back, let me know.

Hey Bruce with your "connections" at Ford and IH and your shinny new teacher of the year gold star /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif (congrats BTW), you should be able to score one pretty easy I would think.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Boy, I'd really like to have that SOB. If by some slim chance they don't call for it back, let me know.

Hey Bruce with your "connections" at Ford and IH and your shinny new teacher of the year gold star /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif (congrats BTW), you should be able to score one pretty easy I would think.. Hell you had a whole motor before anybody officially even saw one /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

you got it bruce! as soon as i get the dpf ill find out. tell you what works great in controlling people in convertables that cut you off! pooooffffffff whered that cloud come from???

How ironic, I had a F550 in for a rear axle noise that ended up getting a new 3rd member. I was swapping it out and happen to notice the tailpipe being black with soot, further inspection noted soot on the rear of the bumper behind the tailpipe. sure enough when driving and quick accel in my stall from idle it smokes. Everything looks great, its going through a regen now so we will see.

The catch is "you cant upsell warrenty" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif The customer is not complaining about it but its got a problem......

I was talking to one of my buddies today on the phone who was driving behind a 6.4 and it blew quite a black cloud every time he accelerated. That's gotta be a bad DPF, right? I wonder if this is going to be a pattern failure.....

EXACTLY WHATS HAPPENING IN THIS SITUATION. INITIAL ACCELERATION BLACK "POWDERY"CONSISTANCY. CLEARS WITHIN FEW SECONDS,NO PERFORMANCE CONCERNS,PASED ALL TESTS ON IDS,ETC. STILL WAITING FOR DPF TO ARRIVE, POSSIBLY BY 30TH OF THIS MONTH.

mine was doing the same thing, we let the vehicle go as it was not being complained about. WE have to watch our numbers right :crazy

:

I am wondering if this is going to be a common problem???

Quote:
I am wondering if this is going to be a common problem???

You have no idea. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Thermal cycling and transients are killing the DPF. That's complicated by the fact that the 6.4L is fairly "dirty," and produces quite a bit of soot. To oxidize the soot via a regen, a bunch of fuel is needed for the reaction. But that large amount of fuel spikes temps in the DPF very quickly, which causes all sorts of things to fatigue in short order.

It's not just the DPF, but rather, how Ford/Siemens are handling the aftertreatment strategy. Until both components are addressed, however, you'll probably see a high number of failed DPF's, which is not going to be cheap for Ford.

- Jay

WELL TO ANSWER THE "WILL IT REGEN WHEN DAMAGED QUESTION" THIS MORNING TRUCK WENT INTO REGEN FOR 30 MINUTES AUTOMATICALLY, EVEN WITH THE DAMAGED DPF.ACTUALLY CLEANED UP THE EXAUST SMELL PRETTY WELL. I REMEMBER NOW ABOUT 1 MONTH BEFORE THE DPF WAS LETTING SOOT OUT THE EXAUST HAD A REAL PUNGENT SMELL TO IT. KIND OF LIKE A NEWER CAT ENGINE EXAUST SMELL. A SHARP VERY NOTICABLE SMELL.

• 2 weeks later...

WELL FINALLY GOT THE NEW DPF INSTALLED AND RESET THE DPF WITH IDS. MPG WENT WAY WAY DOWN FROM THE FAILED DPF. WAS ABOUT 23 MPG HIGHWAY, NOW BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL 11 MPG /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif I LIKED THE OLD DPF BETTER,SMOKE AND ALL. JOB WASN'T TOO BAD AND YOU CANT SEE ANY VISIBLE DAMAGE,JUST SOOT IN THE OUTLET.

I've got one that had smoke on accel, ended up replacing dpf and resetting. Now poor mileage. I'm suspecting regen issues, because its manufacturing oil. I did all the leak tests (thats spooky getting your head that close at 2k rpms looking for leaks). Havent had much chance at diagnostics cause its used so much. F350 very overloaded frequently.

Dale I would say no soot is normal. If soot is getting past the DPF then there HAS to be a failure or defect. I am no expert on DPFs but a lot of the reading I did indicated that most filters are not 100% effective in trapping all of the soot, particularly the finest particulates. i recall romping around in the first 2008 we got and notices a very light and short puff on heavy accelerations. But I mean, light! There was no soot on that truck but it was after all, new. We are told that some light staining is normal but black deposits are not.

Regarding Ford and the information given to us things get a little sktchy. We know that a DPF is supposed to trap most of the particulate matter. I consider smoke particulate matter. The PCED states that the ECM monitors the DPF for leaks and sets a code as necessary. I went looking for more: Section 8 in the diagnostic charts -

Quote:
If smoke is present at the tailpipe, the diesel particulate filter may be damaged. Diagnose and repair the system/component that causes the visible smoke. After the repair, check for the correct diesel particulate filter operation. If a concern is still present, install a new diesel particulate filter. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 309-00, Exhaust System. Carry out the diesel particulate filter parameter reset function on the scan tool. Exhaust System Concerns: Visible Smoke (No Oil Consumption)...

Further down the chart: Some white tailpipe exhaust smoke is a normal condition at start-up with

Smoke temperatures below 10°C (50°F) or with an extended idle in a cool climate.

START the engine. If the exhaust smoke is white, GO to the next step. If the exhaust

smoke is black, CHECK for charge air cooler restrictions.

Check White Tailpipe REFER to Section 4, Hard Start/No Start Diagnostic Procedures.

I will continue to search for more