6.4L Guinea Pigs

Rate this topic

So I am surfing around the net on some links I found on a cool site and discovered two (or was it three) tuner manufacturers looking to test vehicles. I assume that the owners are given the toys for free. Now, what happens if the truck breaks while testing? DPF clogs?

There is that thread going on powerstroke.org and I saw on TDS some guy has a Magnaflow DPF back exhaust and then installed an "cold air intake" that immediately produced gray smoke and a check engine light. This is going to make for some interesting reading as these 6.4L parts hit the streets!

You can rest assured that it will be the truck that is a POS rather than those good performance parts....

Notice that the thread in question on powerstroke.org has decayed to a discussion on what magazines are good...

pick up an augest edition of diesel power. Bully Dog has a tuner already built (pre production I think) claiming 104 extra horse. they also mention how the DFP goes into regen quicker and more often. I think they are going to have their work cut out for them to make any type of mods.

pick up an augest edition of diesel power. Bully Dog has a tuner already built (pre production I think) claiming 104 extra horse. they also mention how the DFP goes into regen quicker and more often. I think they are going to have their work cut out for them to make any type of mods.

I read that too, I think they said like 3 WOT pokes and the truck went into regen. I can believe that, seeing how some of the Sicko's power programmers made unbelievable amounts of smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

Background:

Right now, CARB is conducting an exceptionally anal audit of the 6.4L, partly because it doesn't meet the emissions and diagnostics regs, and partly because they found another inadvertant "defeat device" in the 6.0L logic. As part of the audit, CARB wants Ford to tighten up the diagnostics regarding chips/tuners/whatever that attempt to alter or defeat the regen strategy. Once this is all ironed out, you're going to see some kind of mandatory emissions-related recall for all 6.4L's.

So....

Here we are right now with the tuner guys scratching their head trying to understand the regen logic/strategy. By the time they get it figured out, Ford is going to change it all, which is going to really irritate those folks how have already purchased an aftermarket "defeat device."

You can just imagine the howling that will stir up at that point....

- Jay

Yeah, Jay, I read your posts with interest because you seem to have a lot of inside knowledge. Since we don't know who you "really" are it is only natural to question your sources sometimes but I never doubt you! As for Ford supposedly not meeting emissions to the liking of the EPA I would think that there would not be much if any accessible information on it. They cant let that kind of information out now, can they? No. I would think that stuff would get buried deep in corporate circles. Then again, I could be wrong!

A lot of the EPA stuff is held strictly between the mfg'ers and the government. Very few of those issues makes it to the PR folks, for obvious reasons. Plus, it's all pretty complicated since the EPA can use discretion in how it views deficiencies, and the engine manufacturers can offset issues with credits. The documentation of it all is voluminous, but a lot of it is handled in face-to-face meetings and discussions.

As far as the 6.4L, there are currently (4) deficiencies that are incurring fines. Each one is subject to a $100/defect/engine fine, so each engine is being fined $400. Of that, Ford is paying half and Nav is paying the other half. One of the big issues that triggered the audit has to do with why the Ford/Siemens aftertreatment logic is not catching all the failed DPF's. Plus, the logic itself is responsible for a high percentage of the failures. Because Nav has had issues with CARB/EPA in the past, they opted to fully audit the 6.4L, which is a monster expense to Ford/Nav.

The audit has been going on for awhile now, and it's turning up other issues that need to be addressed. It may be awhile before everything is sorted out, but you'll end up seeing some "mandatory" reflashes at some point that address all of the emissions issues.

- Jay

Ummmm, has everyone missed Chryslers "lifetime" powertrain warranty? I've only seen a few TV ads and read a couple of press releases... This isn't available in Canada... it only applies to the original owner (the bean counters are depending on the "trade after three years" crowd) and it has the possibility of turning Chrysler back into a "hurtin' unit".

A sign seen many years ago... "if you can't blind them with brilliance... then baffle them with bullshit"....

Yeah Chryslers commercials are pretty impressive, but I can't wait to see what kind of disclaimers are going to be involved. Can you say pull the wool over our eyes. It doesn't really matter to me even though I drive a Dakota on a lease of course. It will be really interesting to see who follows Chryslers lead.

I saw them too. Note, I was in a Hyundai dealer the other day....its also a Ford dealer and I asked the service manager how they were able to offer the 10 year warranty. He said good luck on that one. You have to keep records that you had a pimple the day that it failed. Plus all service needs to be on the mileage marks, no before and no after. Very heavy on the highlighting he added, when they look over service records.

Just a update: One of the techs out in the shop was thinking about getting a new Dodge, he said that the dealers will only honor the warranty if ALL of the pm's are done at the dealer. I don't know if that's true or not but I will find out, my lease is coming up shortly.

Well, that's one way to encourage your customers to return to the dealer for regular service and maintenance. That might piss some people off though. Perhaps they should offer discounts or coupons for those who do. Or they could raise the price to pay for services that are "free" like BMW does. That would be interesting on a Ford truck now wouldn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

I really wonder how long people will actually get "lifetime" coverage on their Chrysler products.

At our shop we've been unable to order many parts for Dodge pickups and vans going back to just 2003. They are saying that they are no longer made and we'll never see them. The dealership we purchase from is one of the largest in the state, and they're saying that once stock is depleted on certain parts that they will not be making any more.

what happens to your warranty when you have a 10 year old car/truck that the dealership can't repair as there's no parts to fix?

Sounds like Ford with the "obsolete" parts we've already run into on '97 and '98 7.3 vans.

My understanding.... correct or not... was that manufacturers were required to make available parts for 10 years.... Creative number crunching might skew this a bit... but for parts to be obsoleted in less than half that period.....

"Be afwiad... be vewy, vewy afwaid", Elmer Fudd, circa 1974.

Prime example.... AC suction hose.... earlyish 6.0s.... I may be mistaken on some of the details but this is a true story... only the names have been changed to protect the guilty... FWIW, this wasn't brought to my attention until AFTER we embarassed ourselves, terribly....

In mitigation, the truck (F550) did have a V-Mac compressor installed.... The AC suction hose rubbed through on a compressor bracket (the original hose was, I believe, inscribed with "Packard" on the rubber)... The replacement did not ressemble the original other than the terminations... Nor did the subsequent replacement hose that was ordered.... One tech decided that the failed hose was not "original equipment" and the apprentice doing the work took up the battle-cry....

After spending most of the summer without AC on very dusty roads, the customer sought me out and we investigated.... With very little legwork, I opened a hood and discovered the sister of the "non-OEM" hose... early 6.0. Another early 6.0 revealed a hose identical to the shipped replacement hose....

MicroCat isn't the best thing to hit the streets... and we need to realize that.... Like the early Superduties... we need to realize differences with hubs and rotors and wheel studs (and front drive axles) and work with what we have....

It doesn't happen very often for my shop... but we need the ability to adapt, to remember, to envision things in our minds eye... having at least one savvy partsmonger helps immensely. And with the plethora (are you guys sick of "them" words, yet?)of customer requirements we see, Google (and my partsmonger) are valuable resources....

The latest acquisitions (still enroute)... the parts for a latch pin gauge, a pintle hitch gauge, a horse cock gauge... and I'm thinking that it may not be long before I need "hoisting certification"....

Sorry to hijack the thread... My wife is gone until Saturday and you guys are stuck with me....

But.... many times we are stuck with "you need to replace these parts as well...", we need to know or learn this and we need to realize that nobody told the bean counters that the replacement cost had to be reasonable.....