Dihydrogen Monoxide

Rate this topic

I was taking a peek at the notebook full of material safety data sheets recently, and I noticed we didn't have one for dihydrogen monoxide.

This had me a little concerned, since this chemical can be very hazardous in certain circumstances. In fact, the chemical is so hazardous that a town in Illinois banned the use of styrofoam cups at outdoor events - because it is used in the manufacture of styrofoam.

Some of the other hazards are this - necrosis (dying) of skin tissue from prolonged exposure to the solid form of this chemical, aspirating small quanitites can cause death within a few minutes, and it is a major component of acid rain, of all things... In the automotive field, it is a major component of antifreeze, and is used in various other places on almost all vehicles.

Make sure to take precautions against exposure to this (and all other) hazardous chemicals. The recent proliferation of glove use is a good defense. But a better one is to be ever vigilant of the dangers of the chemical exposure we recieve every day...

Just be careful, guys...

Not to worry, Kieth.... I have found that diluting this insidious substance with varying amounts of fluids containing C12 H22 O11 or similar has a "stabilizing" (or possibly "destabilizing") effect.... Several chemists have found that this particular formula (or others that react similarly) can be produced from whole grain rye, whole grain barley or "sour mash" corn.... This "antidote" is freely available at many retail outlets without prescription....