2005 e450 no start warm

Rate this topic

I need to run this past you all for  some assistance.

2005 e-450 school bus towed in stalled going down road. Starts up for me, warm it up on accel it stalls and won't start.

p0284 #8 contribution p0672 p0678 2 and8 glow plug P2291 for codes. When it did run #2 and #8 miss pcm covers it.

relative comp even. Made recording of stall and no start. Noticed as expected that Icp drops Ipr ramps up to 84 %. Ok so high press oil small leak. Apply air to test port by  pump. Can hear gurgling no hiss.(though that was strange) Pulled pump cover already has new STC fitting. Apply air again blows out the pump vent hole apply 9v batt. to ipr vent air drops to almost nothing. Can hear gurgling where oil filter lines go in oil cooler cover and down in back of engine. pulled high press. pump apply air to branch tube no leak heard at either cover or in back. (I did pull push the harness when it was running made no difference.)

I was expecting an injector seal or stc or even a branch tube but they are not leaking. So this would lead to high pressure pump? I didn't think they could cause this concern. Is the gurgling noise an indicator of a problem? Anyone have any input for me. 

Yes.When it did stall I could crank it a while, notice low icp, then it sometimes would build enough and start. but ran poor. That is when I pushed and pulled the harness around, no change. (Icp  sensor and new connector installed at a previous repair)

On an 05 I'm not sure, but 03-04 swash plate pumps will sometimes gurgle through the oil filter housing when the pump is bad.

edit- I forgot I had one no start hot in an 06 F-250 and while checking everything I could think of I removed the high pressure pump and air checked it on the bench through the old STC fitting. I had an IPR installed and powered shut with a 12v battery. There was NO air leakage through the oil inlet port(where oil is supplied from the reservoir). Air leaking here would cause a gurgling in the low pressure side.

I have a welded up STC fitting that has an air nipple on it. I used that and a turbo feed gasket to air check through the original STC.

With this truck the leak was determined to be the original old style STC.

I have had the newer style pumps fail that way too, one brand new reman as well. One tip I can give is install a new oil pressure sending unit, if you test using nitrogen at high pressures it will damage the sending unit and cause it to leak after.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what your failed part is but I can say that a maxed out IPR (85%) with subsequent stall represents a MASSIVE leak, not a small, hard to detect leak, but a relatively easy one to spot. It will be leaking from the time you start the engine (cold) to the time it shuts down. In other words you don't have to get the engine red hot and then start looking for any oil leaks.

One I had with diesel getting into fuel from head crack did the same behavior. Fooled me for a bit as I could not smell the ULSD in the crankcase. Ran great cold  and until it got hot and missed a bit and then quit running

Put on a new high pressure pump. Air check again now quiet no gurgling. put it all back together works great.

(I did put in the 2 injectors also.)

Thanks for the assistance.