'05 E-350 No-Start

Rate this topic

Well guys, I got one in on a Friday afternoon, highest ICP pressure will go is 60 to 70ish PSI. Air tested, the wonderful sound of hissing from the oil fill. Pulled the air inlet, and saw some oil fumes, and a heard a minor hiss (not as loud as right bank). From your experience, what would be the most likely source? High pressure oil rail? STC fitting? Injector top? Branch Tube (please, please, PLEASE don't let it be). The guy that owns this truck is the husband of our appointment co-ordinator, who also happens to hate my guts for reasons I can't decipher. Apparently he just had an IPR replaced at another dealer. At 163,000 kms. and out of warranty, that doesn't matters.

60-70 sounds to me like an broken injector, or a really bad STC fitting. In this case, I would remove a few bolts from the rear of each rocker cover and re-apply the air and pry up on the back of the covers a little bit to check if one side is infact worse than the other, but it is not 100% fool proof, because of the location of the STC, sometimes the right side does sound a bit louder.

YUO ID SAY IN AREA OF HP PUMP. I USE ONE OF THOSE BATTERY POWERED LISTENING MICROPHONE/HEADPHONE KITS FROM STEELMAN. SEEMS TO WORK VRY WELL. FUNNY THING ONE TRUCK I HAD A HIGH PRESSURE PUMP LEAKING OUT OF THE DRIVE GEAR SHAFT AS PROBLEM,ENDED UP GETING A PUMP. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT IS SOUNDED LIKE THE AIR LEAK WAS "DEEP" IN THE ENGINE.

I had one that was leaking in the lower part of the engine,It sounded like it was coming from the branch tube area,but the oil leak was from the dummy oil rail plug,the thing is it sounded like the branch tube was leaking,just one more thing to

look at

The last one I had, was coming from this exact same location. It was a broken o-ring. ICP cranking pressure on that one was about 200 to 300 PSI. I got the right side high pressure oil rail out today, removed all the oil gallery plugs. All look okay. I inspected all four injectors on that bank. All appear to be intact. What gives? Should I start removing the HPOP cover to see if in fact the STC fitting is blown off? At 60 to 70 PSI ICP pressure, it SHOULD be a very obvious leak. Being out of warranty, I playing with limited funds here.

It's not your truck, so you shouldn't make the funds your problem. Remember it pays 10.6 hours warranty to diagnose and replace an STC fitting in an E-box... so there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to sell the diag and repair retail for 15 hours or so. FYI, we sell retail Econoline HP oil leak diagnosis at 10 hours right out of the gate plus repair.

I am not too sure that I understand what oil rail plug you are talking about but... Concerning the high pressure oil rail, there are a few o-rings there that deserve your attention, even if you find an injector inlet o-ring failure.If you have the rail off check them all! It only takes a minute. There's the front and rear port plugs, drain plugs and the rail end caps depending on the model year. My shop has seen three of those obscure seal failures one of which sent the tech for a loop! It's not always the big failure with the seal completely blown out. Sometimes, its one or more seals that are slowly disintegrating, leaking just enough to start causing trouble.

I have the rail out. I removed all the gallery plugs except of the end plugs. I will probably be doing that on Tuesday first thing in the morning. The standpipe, dummy standpipe block-off, and the other gallery plug o-rings all look good, as do all four injectors on that bank. Something gives me this awful feeling it's going to be something expensive, like the pump itself, or the branch tube.

I'm not making the funds my problem. It's just that this truck is owned by the husband of our appointment co-ordinator. He is also "drinking buddies" with our SM. I personally don't give a rat's ass about how much it will cost him to fix it, as long as it's fixed, and I get paid PROPERLY. Anybody else, I wouldn't care, I would just charge through the roof. Do you know of any labour time guides that can be accessed online that lists times for retail repairs to 6.0L? Our Mitchell book is ancient and only goes up to 2002 model years. I want something to throw in this guy's face if he bitches about the cost.

Mitchell on demand lists the following

Note that no diag times are listed

FUEL INJECTOR - Remove & Replace - One,Left Side 3.7

FUEL INJECTOR - Remove & Replace - One,Right Side 5.6

FUEL INJECTOR - Remove & Replace - Each Additional .2

FUEL INJECTOR - Remove & Replace - One Each Side 7.7

OIL INJECTION PUMP - Remove & Replace - 6.0L Eng - [includes: R&I Intake Manifold.] 8.4

Well guys, I removed the HPOP cover and retested. Sure enough, the STC fitting had a good sizable leak. Replace STC as well as update reinforcement bracket (4C3Z-9B246-A). No more leak from STC fitting. HOWEVER, I still have a leak coming from bank #1 hugh pressure oil rail!!! Four of us in the shop couldn't pinpoint the exact location of the leak. It definitely sounds loudest on the underside of the rail. Stopped off at a buddy of mine, at another dealer to "borrow" another standpipe and high pressure oil of another '05 to try tomorrow. I repeat, ALL circlips on the tops of all four injectors appear intact. Is there ANY possibility of bad injector(s) still? Is it possible for the body of the injector(s) to be leaking? It seems unlikely the high pressure oil rail itself is bad. Again, I checked ALL gallery plugs INCLUDING the end plugs that someone posted. Running out of ideas!!!

Did you remove the rail dummy plug and look at its lower o ring? Not the one that the standpipe feeds, the one towards the front of the engine.If that lower o ring is bad the other bank is usually bad also or very close to leaking(on e-series)hth

I've been checking this post once and awhile. In my stall i have a 06 F-550 6.0 that died while driving. NO ICP, did all the usual checks.... air leak tested, holy shit loudest air rushing noise ive ever heard on #7. Removed oil rail, found top of injector broken and clip busted halfway out. Replaced injector, still the same loud noise on #7. Swapped out oil rail with downed unit. Leak tested, gone. I cannot find anything wrong with the oil rail at all. Also HP pump took a shit so i think i had 2 different problems. not to highjack ure thread, but u said uve never heard of oil rails leaking. There you have it, mine did, with no evidence of cracks or o-rings leaking.

Well, swapped rail and standpipe that I "borrowed" from a buddy of mine at another dealer. Guess what? SAME DEAL. And yes, I checked the dummy rail plug lower o-ring. The last one I had was a torn o-ring. So, what's left injector(s)? The part that is killing me, is that there is NOTHING visually wrong with all four on the bank. To compound matters, this truck is for sale right now. Someone I spoke to mentioned the possibility of one, or more injectors stuck on "exhaust". Anyone heard of this, or ran into this before?

Most of the 6.0L high pressure oil leaks I fix all leak around the injectors after the air blows all the oil out of the top of the injector. I'll have an air leak from around the injectors but when I put it back together and crank it, it fires right off and never have anymore problems. I think the oil and the high pressure--like more than 150 psi help seal the top of the injector. If you already found the STC fitting leaking then I would just put it back together and see how it starts-after clearing all the air out of the high pressure system.

Someone I spoke to mentioned the possibility of one, or more injectors stuck on "exhaust". Anyone heard of this, or ran into this before?

How does the buzz test sound? With the spool valve setup that the 6.0 has, I wouldn't think this should happen like the 7.3 did. How about taking a rubber tip blow gun to the top of the injector with the HP manifold off? It should hold air.

Originally Posted By: mchan68
I repeat, ALL circlips on the tops of all four injectors appear intact.

Can you check the o-rings in the top of the injectors? Keith's had a few where the C-clip was fine, but the o-ring was severely degraded from pressure pulsations. Posted Image

I know it's a E-bomb and this is easier said than done...

Good Luck!

Thank you to everyone who posted!!! Truck is now fixed. NOW, the story comes out. After checking OASIS, I noticed part number 4C3Z-9B246-A charged out TWICE on two different Repair Order lines from another dealer that did a "repair" about 5,000 kms. ago (while it was still within DIT warranty). But neither the bracket nor a new STC fitting was on the truck when I opened it up. Thank you Bruce for the picture in the last posting. I spoke to Coldline, and they advised me to disconnect the FICM, and crank the engine over to build ICP pressure with the covers removed. Did as instructed, and sure enough once ICP approached the magic 500, BOOF!!!! All I got was a huge cloud of crap in my face (the turbo and y-pipe was not installed). But the truck is fixed!!! Speaking of DIT warranty, has anyone heard of "DieselCare"? Supposedly, owners of 6.0L and 6.4L can now purchase an extended warranty that will cover up to 300,000 kms. (don't know what it is in miles) with two packages available. One carries a $100 deductible per visit. The other carries $0 deductible per visit depending on the package purchased.