What do you do away from work?

Rate this topic

GregH

So, what does everyone else here do away from work? When you finally get most of the diesel oil off your hands (except for the stains, of course!), punch out for the weekend, and leave work behind?

With fall around the corner, it's time to wash out my camelback and clean my bike chain in preparation for a ride around Elvis Presley lake. Also time to collimate my telescope and see if my aging eyes can still "split" the double-double in Lyra. Venus is also a sight in the morning - I can even see it in the rearview mirror on my way to work!

My daughter is learning to ride her bicycle without training wheels - a milestone - and it's a nice feeling to see her polishing the case of her 3" reflector telescope while I'm working on mine...

It's funny how in the south, things start to "wake up" about this time of year. The summer heat is pretty much behind us, yet it is still definately short sleeve weather. Perfect time of year to get active outside again...

So how about you guys?

Work and recouping from it takes a lot out of me. But MY time is devoted to my family and all the fun and responsibility of having small children. They definitely keep you busy and they WIPE YOU OUT! I obviously devote time to the running these two web sites. I also like to cook especially for family and guests or on race day when I can down a few barley pops. I used to play Bass - started in high school and kept it up for a while playing a couple of bands. I simply don't have the time to dedicate to it but since I still have all my guitars and equipment you never know what the future holds, especially since daughter #1 keeps begging me to play and let her try. I don't think 6-year old hands are quite big enough to handle the task. Yet.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Well, my wife decided that she could stay at home and create some income with animals. The end result is that my "spare time" and our money that is not dedicated to "normal" expenses goes to the animal enterprise.

Six Labrador Retrievers. Our stud dog had a Canadian championship, just got his US title. He is currently "working" in Quebec. One of the females just had a litter of 6. They are treated like pets, so they are outside most of the day and come in to be with us in the evening (yes, 6 dogs in the house).

Seven goats, 2 bucks and 5 does. Three of the does recently had 7 kids, so we just doubled the herd. One mom had a blockage in her udder for a while, so the babies needed bottle feeding (they will make great pets for somebody wanting weed-n-feed on their property). The goats have 2 guardian dogs; our property borders 130,000 acres of timberland, plenty of predators. And yes, that does bring the total to 8 dogs.

25-50 chickens, depending on their maturity. I don't count them anymore once they are in the freezer.

My neighbor had some rabbits that got loose and bred with the local wild ones. Now we have a resource for dog food, just needs harvesting and processing occasionally. I sometimes count 20 rabbits feeding within line of sight.

Her list of projects gets more attention than my own list and it is still growing! I do enjoy it, although it can be like a second job.

I spend every bit of my spare time enjoying every minute away from work. I have a 28 foot travel trailer that I call my 28 foot beer fridge and my family and I spend every weekend throughout the summer in it. We head out toward the mountains and do alot of back forty exploring. I have a generator so it doesn't matter where I am, I have power. I can go anywhere and be comfortable. My three and a half year old boy just loves it when we go out. It truly is a recreation that allows my family to bond and get away from home and see new places, do some quaddin' and drink a whole lot of beer. I also do alot of hunting.

Oh, and like Alex said, I abuse Beer too. I also ride bike in the evenings and some weekends as well and just go for a cruise. Home theatre and music is also another stress reliever for me. I get pretty deep into the electronis world. Gotta love it. And I am always tinkering with something.

This kind of crap (and I mean that in a good way depending on the forum/venue).... I'm not a television watcher, these days - bad enough the commercials insult our intelligence - the shows had to start doing the same thing....

I am a voracious reader.... Steven King, John Grisham, Tom Clancy, technical manuals.... name it - these give ample opportunity for the much revered "alcohol abuse" syndrome (and I thank Ford for supplying me with three new drink coasters every month....). I am always up for the opportunity to learn and try to make the best of every one.....

I love camping and being alone on my scooter... but neither fits my schedule these days.... Last weekend, I put the holiday trailer to bed and, if our current weather holds, I will be riding through snow to put the scooter to bed... Still, we spent the entire month of July "living" by the river... The new convertible I bought for my loving bride also offers brief respite from my day, though not often enough...

I'm also in the middle of a 700 square foot addition to our home... a very long term project.... the only part not done nearly totally by me is the shingling... this is the only part that I have farmed out... for the rest, there have been several parts done twice and even three times as I fall victim to the learning curve...

Like Kieth, I enjoy cooking.... a big part of the reason for this renovation was to improve the kitchen... In fact, the whole project started out as a redone kitchen and a 12X12 "mud room"... and then it took on a life of it's own....

Then there is "my" fleet of old Dodges. Here, I get the opportunity to spend money as if it were my own... A 65 Dart, 67 Coronet, 69 Charger and (the king of the hill) a 69 Roadrunner that the fabricator has spent too long caging and back-halfing - this one is getting a 500 inch RB stroker...

As a certified curmudgeon and journeyman dick, I find that time can be spent or time can be wasted... it cannot be saved. We all do those things that we find important to us personally... if we don't do that, we are wasting time (even if we sometimes mistake our priorities.... ). My 19 year old son still struggles with long term gain and instant gratification... but we all do that....

And I have to wonder if Greg considered that his question might have philosophical overtones....

I'd love to see what others do with their off time (I'm always up for a learning experience... maybe I'm doing it wrong)... but it is important for us all that life be gratifying, satisfying, fun and fulfilling....

Most of my time away from work is devoted to family. We did as much camping as possible this past summer. When we are out camping we kayak and hike quite a bit. It is easy to get out for daily jaunts living in the Black Hills and the Big Horns are just a few hours to the west.

This past weekend we all got out to break a few clay pidgeons so we will be ready for grouse and pheasant seasons. I always enjoy the dedicated youth season weekend for pheasant. Folowing my kids as they work the fields in anticipation of a flushing bird gets me going.

I grew up riding cycles, but feel too selfish to do it at this point in my life. My time is simply not my own. In a few more years it will be just me and the wife, so I think I will probably take it up again.

Bass fishing-I like being outside and the challenge of fishing. I do a little bit of hunting during the fall and winter too. I guess everybody else does what I do also-fixing anything and everything around the house-from plumbing to lawnmowers. I don't understand how normal people get by, paying everyone else to do simple things for them-but they probably have more free time than I do.

I guess everybody else does what I do also-fixing anything and everything around the house-from plumbing to lawnmowers. I don't understand how normal people get by, paying everyone else to do simple things for them-but they probably have more free time than I do.

I understand. I didn't know anything about plumbing, residential electrical, or much of anything else about housing before I bought our first home. Large mortgage payment, plus being too dumb to know I can't do something, results in a sharp learning curve ahead.

Reminds me of the time we were remodeling our front bathroom. Near the end of the project, with guests coming in the next evening, I'm putting up towel bars and a light fixture. My daughter was taking a bath at the time. (Don't worry, the light fixture was all the way across the bathroom) I finish up the wiring, mount the light, turn to my daughter and say "ok, honey, here we go!" She watched in great anticipation as I reached for the switch and flicked it on. The light lit up - just like it should have. My daughter squeals with delight, claps her hands, and says "Daddy, you did a great job. There's no fire or anything!"

Kids are priceless. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cover.gif

Priceless? No no no no my friend! I can tell you how much they cost me on a daily basis. This club, that club, Girl Scouts, soccer league, bowling, books, games, stuffed animals, dolls...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

I abuse alcohol.

Now, more seriously... I have nothing but spare time /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif, after all, I start at 6:30am, and most nights I don't leave untill nearly 7pm... mainly since Toronto rush hour traffic to the burbs sucks... I try to get in about as much golf as I can during the summer months... I have a crazy jack-shit (a jack-russell terrior/shih-tzu mix) that is never short of entertaining... Fall and winter have me playing hockey 2 nights a week... just about everybody on my street is about the same age, so we all like to tip back the odd case of beer every now and then... and my wife likes the wine, so I guess that all falls back into the abusing alcohol thing... one thing I don't do when I'm not at work, is fix cars or trucks (other than my own)... the last thing I want to see through an empty glass is a 6.0. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

After leaving the fiasco of "they wanted that truck yesterday, i dont care if they handed u the r.o at 3pm and you leave at 4 " I enjoy a nice ride home listening to my angry music ( as the girlfriend calls it ). I come home, take a shower, read my 5.0 mustangs and superfords over, play the guitar for an hour. Then go to the gym for a much needed lifting session with the cousin taking the aggression aquired throughout the day form the stress of work. I'm 23, I dont have kids, still live at home, saving up for my own place.

On the weekends i find out how many jack bottles I can empty in one night. I count how many "not nows" from the girlfriend I can get when she sleeps over, A slew of phone calls from people that need their cars fixed. And my secret sin on sunday mornings is tennis. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

After leaving the fiasco of "they wanted that truck yesterday, i dont care if they handed u the r.o at 3pm and you leave at 4 " I enjoy a nice ride home listening to my angry music ( as the girlfriend calls it ). I come home, take a shower, read my 5.0 mustangs and superfords over, play the guitar for an hour. Then go to the gym for a much needed lifting session with the cousin taking the aggression aquired throughout the day into putting up a lot of weight. I'm 23, I dont have kids, still live at home, saving up for my own place.

On the weekends i find out how many jack bottles I can empty in one night. I count how many "not nows" from the girlfriend I can get when she sleeps over, A slew of phone calls from people that need their cars fixed. And my secret sin on sunday mornings is tennis. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Away from work, most people would never guess that I'm a diesel tech. I don't talk about work much and when I mention that I work at a car dealership, the usual response is, "Oh, your a car salesman. " I guess that is because I'm clean cut. Most of the people in my neighborhood think that I'm some guy that works at Motorolla or something.

I am a very dedicated father and husband. I have 2 daughters and a stay at home wife. Ages 3,5 and 29. Theese three keep me very busy with soccer, ice skating, swimming, tumbling lessons. I like to take them for bike rides to different parks, fishing, I like to read to them at least 3 times a week. My 5 year old is starting to read to me. I love the way they react when I fix one of thier broken toys or sew together one of thier stuffed animals. "Oh Daddy, I'm so glad that your a mechanic!! " My wife was telling me that my oldest was bragging to one of her friends at the bus stop how I'm a mechanic and I can fix anything.

As for my self, I run marathons. I run 6-7 days a week and average about 50-60 miles per week. I wake up very early to run and I have found it to be very good therapy. It really helps me with the stress of this job. My hobby really dosen't interfere with my family life because I run before work on the weekdays and when I get home on the weekends my kids are either asleep or have just woken up. I also like to read. I have a long commute and listen to books on cd. This is great I highly reccomend it.

I have so many hobbies that they get to be more work than work is. Although I still love what I do enough that I count it as another of my hobbies. Spring time is ATV time I love to hit the mudholes and find new hunting spots. I have an ongoing project 89 Dodge Dakota with a bigblock (2wd shortbox) fishing is a during the week thing I like to do after work and I take one of my boys with each time I go (have 3 sons 12,15,and 16 yo)

I have a small stockyard which has had chickens goats and pigs currently just have the chickens (mmm good pork) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I play bass and rythem guitar in a band. I'm an avid bowhunter especially when it comes to bears. (they taste mm mmm good too)

I crosscountry ski ,ice fish, and snowshoe when winter hits.

I do a little blacksmithing from time to time I have a nice homemade coal forge and a factory built gas forge.

I don't do much cooking but I do like to flavor some meats in my smoker, I also brew some very good ales and stouts.

I also stay active in my umm church I suppose you'd call it. I am of the Asatru religion which I co founded the first group in my area. broke ground this summer for our temple which is being built on my land which I set aside a couple acres.

Come to think of it I do feel relaxed while at work.

A little of this

Posted Image

and this

Posted Image

Posted Image

but I sold my beloved bronco in favor of a smaller lighter toyota. but hey at least Im putting some ford parts on it!

Its still under construction

Posted Image

removed the bed and shorted the wheelbase and frame.

Posted Image