injector cup removal tools 7.3

Rate this topic

anyone have the info on a 2001 7.3 injector cup removal tools.i have been unable to find the tool kit at work and will have to order them but cannot find what all i need in the online manual. i have one putting fuel into the coolant on number 8 cylinder cup and i have never pulled any before.do i need to pull the head or is engine removal needed and what tools do i need thanks in advance for any help

anyone have the info on a 2001 7.3 injector cup removal tools.i have been unable to find the tool kit at work and will have to order them but cannot find what all i need in the online manual. i have one putting fuel into the coolant on number 8 cylinder cup and i have never pulled any before.do i need to pull the head or is engine removal needed and what tools do i need thanks in advance for any help

No, you don't need to pull the head or engine, it's relatively easy to change the cups in the chassis. (I'm assuming it's a F model) 2001 should have stainless steel cups but the original Rotunda kit is made for brass cups, and I don't know if Rotunda ever upgraded their stuff for SS. I have both the Rotunda kit and an aftermarket kit and I prefer using the aftermarket kit. The Rotunda kit requires a slide hammer, and obviously space is limited in the back of the engine. Some "creative engineering" works also, I'm told, with the Rotunda kit, like using a bolt and a piece of tubing instead of the slide hammer setup. If you're locked into FMC/Rotunda as a supplier, I'll look at mine and see if the PN's are on the box Monday. If your bosses are open to other suppliers, call Rich Wengatz at Kwik-Way/ Irontite 440-526-9017 or e-mail him at rich-wengatz@irontite.com. His tools work better, and he has the optional "roll-in" tool that seats the top of the sleeve like it should be. (second item below) Rich might give you a discount if you mention my name. Beware the roll-in tool is several hundred $ by itself.

http://www.irontite.com/PDF/Diesel%20Repair%20Catalog.pdf

Beware that the last pic below is slightly outdated, the removal tool has been upgraded to accommodate SS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

P.S. Do all 8 sleeves, and look for an overheating problem as the root source of the failure. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And if you're cheap like me, you can sometimes rig one of those brake caliper tools to use as a pulling fixture. Remove the rockers and both injector hold down bolts. Place some crumpled paper in the bottom of the cup to prevent shavings from entering the cylinder. tap the hole with the normal Rotunda tap and guide. Then, if there is no room for the slide hammer SOMETIMES you can place a brake caliper tool across the rocker pedistals and thread a bolt through it with a nut and some thrust washers. then hold the bolt and turn the nut to extract the cup. Much the same way a harmonic damper puller works. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

It may not work in an Econoline because of space, and on right bank F-series you may need to remove the evap housing. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Posted Image

• 3 months later...

Ill have to double check witch one it was but I used a deep 1/2" drive socket in place of the caliper tool. I bought my own tap and driver tool and it came with the plastic cups to catch the shavings

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif Its one damn expensive tap though