FSA 07 S57

Rate this topic

FordMastertech

When anybody has been coming in for an 07S57,we start by checking the service history to see how good of a customer they are (or aren't)... then we'll ask if that's all they are coming in for... long story short, if they fall into the not a good customer category, and are only coming in for the recall, we are only booking 2 recalls per day. That has us booking those customers into April now. If we can sell some some maintenance while booking the appointment, we normally book it in within a few days.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still aren't seeing many (but I think many are being "overlooked" when the chance is there). Part of that may be due to the affluence in our area. The rumour is that Slave Lake has more millionaires per acre than any other place in North America.

Still, there are a lot of 7.3s on the road... Recall notifications are discarded as junk mail more often than not - unopened. (Oh my God... he's not going to mention OASIS again, is he?). OK... I promise I wont if you promise to use it.... So... what are you going to do? truck comes in... intermittent stalling... Scan codes? Fiddle fart around with the bulkhead connector over the left valve cover or something? Look at the colour of the CMP?

It becomes important for the SAs to be able to do our size up for us.... Everyone that comes through the door for this FSA has the possibility of being a good customer.... and we need to get subjective....

Would you rather have an easy going guy - not much cash but pays his bills - understands the foibles of human nature - prioritizes his repairs? Or would you rather have the dick that flashes his bankroll and finds fault with absolutely everything you do?

For the recall itself... it pays good if you see a grey sensor.... It still ain't bad if you don't. For the guys in Mikes shop, I could write volumes....

Mike... just remember, it is the customer we need to please - not the guy in the next bay. Stick by your principals.. know when to "flash" them and know when to remain silent. If doing a good job.... if doing what needs to be done makes you an ass kisser, there is a very real chance that those guys are part of what is wrong in this business...

Keep up the good work....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ford frown on upselling on recalls/warranty?

I know we're not allowed to suggest warranty repairs, so i was just curious about upselling retail when the customer is in for a ford pay recall.

Aaron, If you had a guy come in for a CMP recall and noticed a... just say for shits and grins a upper rad hose leaking and didn't tell the customer about it(because your not allowed to upsell retail) and just let him go on his way, he got 3 miles down the road, overheated and locked up the engine. Your the last one to touch the truck and you had seen a problem but didn't notify the customer of this, guess what you and your dealer just bought him a new engine.

I think you just aren't reading this right. It all of our jobs to use the tools avail. to us including(Jim will love me for this one)OASIS. If we run it and it shows something that needs to be done but hasn't. That would not be upselling Warranty, it would be us doing our jobs and taking care of the ones that keep us working. It's a big circle, The sales dept sells the truck, makes ungodly promises that they know can't be kept, and is up to us to make the customer happy enough to come back and buy more trucks from us in the future. The more we do the more the customer respects and expects from us. Sometimes I think that we could get rid of the sales dept's all together and just do it all including selling the trucks to, which in essence is what we do every day, but don't get compensated for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ford frown on upselling on recalls/warranty?

I know we're not allowed to suggest warranty repairs, so i was just curious about upselling retail when the customer is in for a ford pay recall.

Since when is it Ford Motor Company's business what your dealer does to serve your customers? I have never heard of Ford telling us we couldn't address issues we find with vehicles. Don't confuse this with over-repairing or completing unnecessary repairs.

Case and point: My dealership is using FORDs Quality Care Report Cards which provides a complete vehicle inspection. Any concerns that come up must be addressed if covered by warranty - especially safety issues. If the needed repairs are customer pay, so what? If you find a ball joint falling out of a truck with 25K on the odometer (like that never happens before 3/36) and you neglect to mention or address it wouldn't that be negligence?

Take care of your customers. Your CSI will improve and you dont have to break any warranty policies to do it.

In the long run, Ford doesn't give a rats ass if we upsell a repair or not.... All they are concerned about is if it is going to cost them money...

Customer pay = no problem... Ford pay = "I see nothing!!!".

For my own part, I would never dream of asking a customer if, sayyyyyyy... "Do you have any oil spots on your driveway near the <affected part>?" If I have to repeat the question, one of my eyes starts winking.. can't figure that out....

I got yelled at for upselling warranty.....then i got yelled at for spotting an oil leak on a 6,000mile truck... after all that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/fouet3.gif I got yelled at for not saying anything about coolant overflow on a 20K truck /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Tony that should tell you that we are not all moving in the same direction. I am sure much of this comes from managers watching the numbers and reports and some from the Ford Reps. Ghee, do ya think this is one of the reasons Ford is a third rate auto manufacturer? This truly upsets me because it sends out mixed signals.

Ford gets pissed if we do to much warranty and looks down on us but if we don't then the customers will be buying the other trucks out there. I really think that the place Ford needs to force into early retirement is upper management, let us do our jobs and fix in the field all of the short-comings of the so called engineers that Ford has fucking up our world. If Ford really wanted to build a so called JOB ONE vehicle then put the responsibilty back on the ones that designed it and have them fix it. Gee maybe Ford wouldn't be so quick to fuck us all over on SRT's and diag. of problems that they haven't even seen yet because they really haven't had real world testing.

If you guy's remember I had seen these 08's all over in my neck of the woods, but all they were doing was driving 8-10 hours a day on 2 lanes doing 55-60 mph, no real city or real heavy work(like on job sites) These trucks are supposed to be SUPERDUTY's. What does that mean anymore? The grocery getters for the well to do people that get pissed because it regens to frequently, Why do you think? No load, not working like it should? The people bitchin the most are the ones that work them the least.

Sorry I'm feeling a little Jim-like here right now.

Aaron... we need to at least have the appearance of towing the warrant manual line... But let's say you're doing a QCRC... the part where it says "oil leaks" is an interesting one.... If the car is under warranty.. and I see an oil leak... I can't "sell" the repair.... but I can't NOT mark it down on the QCRC.

If there is time, I can "fix" it and later, the SA can show the customer that I marked down it has an oil leak and proceed with blank look #37... At this point, I hope that the customer will take the initiative and ask to have it repaired....

We aren't so far from Edmonton that locals wont go their to save a few bucks (we know "other stuff" ain't supposed to happen , but I'm not into helping anyone commit financial suicide).. and have them fixed at our store rather than their selling dealer...

Is our warranty high? Is a pigs ass made of pork? Does a one legged duck swim in a circle? Of course..... But if you make sure you have all of your one legged ducks in a row, you have a chance of coming out of an audit in decent shape...

Getting back to 07S57... over on a "consumer" site, they are now starting to blame the new cam sensors for some really off the wall shit.... including individual injector concerns.

On edit... I do not make typos... I have fat fingers....

(Jim will love me for this one)

Larry... keep up the good work.... fight the good fight.... I'll make a fine curmudgeon out of you yet....

Don't forget we are dealing with desk jockeys, paper shufflers and pen pushers.... Common sense does not exist in that world.

This Ayem, a distraught SA handed me the phone.... and I spent over a half hour haggling with an ARI fleet consultant.... And tomorrow, the DP will show me my time card......... again /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whattodo.gif

Hey guy's was over at my service side of the shop today...They are working on a Duramax, They have the front gear housing off, took a look at it. The Cam sensor and the Crank sensor are both in it, they broke the Crank sensor off and couldn't get it out. Looks like we may have competition for recalls, They don't use any coatings or phenolic compounds on the sensors. The surface of the sensors look like brass and come in contact with the aluminum housings, no orings but looks like drain plug seals to seal them. At least ours are easy to fix. Just think if you had to pull a gear housing to do a recall on the CMP.

• 4 months later...

Looks like they have really open up a can of worms on this one, maybe even a can of maggots. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

Quote:
1203 - SOME 1997 THROUGH 2003 MY 7.3L VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A PHANTOM P0284, P0281, P0278, P0275, P0272, P0269, P0266, AND/OR P0263 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC)

SOME 1997 THROUGH 2003 MY 7.3L VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT PHANTOM P0284, P0281, P0278, P0275, P0272, P0269, P0266, AND/OR P0263 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) WITHOUT DRIVABILITY SYMPTOMS IN CYLINDER CONTRIBUTION TEST (CCT) ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A NEW STYLE (GRAY) CMP SENSOR. THE NEW STYLE SENSOR WOULD HAVE BEEN INSTALLED UNDER SAFETY RECALL 07S57. ENGINEERING IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON A RESOLUTION TO ELIMINATE THE PHANTOM CODES.