FSA 07 S57

Rate this topic

FordMastertech

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No no don't take it like that. I was stating that there are some dealers, but not all of them that take advantage of some situations. For instance I had one of my techs that needed a 1104 4wd hub list was about $220.00 he was broke down and went to the closest dealer to him and had to pay $280.00 for the same part from them that he could have gotten for a lot less from my dealership. I believe in making a profit, but within reason.

I'm not trying to bust anybodies chops here on this issue, I understand that the list price that Ford publishes is a "Suggested list price" and every dealer has the ability to adjust as seen fit. But come on now...

• 1 month later...

We still have a LOT of 7.3s in our area... we've had a half dozen in the shop in the last week... and here is where I might be falling down on the job....

I can't seem to get anyone to run OASIS on anything... and I'd like to see it run on EVERYTHING.. Especially since FSAs are , essentially "free work"... no quotes, no begging a customer... just do it.

Box score... not one... none.... nada.... zip.... zilch....

damn, I do 2 or 3 in a day sometimes. The work sold on the recalls is slim however. Our advisors staple an oasis report to the ro on EVERY ro. If they don't see it we do. I had not seen many 7.3's for a long time, now they come out of the woodwork for the free stuff.

Aaron... policy is one thing (this is MY policy... management refuses to allow me to call an idiot an "idiot" ... but that's a whole 'nother deal)....

I have lead the horse to water... I've kicked him in the nuts... I have broken all his legs... I have stuffed his head under the water... and he still refuses to drink.

I'm top heavy in youngsters (no secret, right?).... There aren't many questions (have you read the manual? have you checked OASIS? have you verified the concern?) that don't generate that "deer in the headlights" look....

I'm supposed to whip these young'uns in to shape but I'm not allowed to do it MY way (which, if anyone cares, will NOT be politically correct).

I don't think I'm asking for the world on a platter.... I'm only asking for those things that I do myself.... I've been doing this for 40 years but it doesn't seem to register that someone with all of my experience (still having the ability to make mistakes) uses printed matter.... while these guys furble around doing all of the things that I tell others not to do...

At least it is a reasonable justification for my excesses....

You sound like a guy that shuts his mouth, does his job, and takes what the world serves him... shit happens.... Am I close?

OTOH, many feel that they have coveralls... they have a tool chest.... (however empty it may be)... and that these two circumstances bestow some special power on them....

A year ago, I didn't have this crap... but there was some attrition - both for reasons I can understand and also for reasons I don't agree with.... All I can say is that there are times that the devil you know ain't half as bad as the devil you don't.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Quote:
I'm supposed to whip these young'uns in to shape but I'm not allowed to do it MY way (which, if anyone cares, will NOT be politically correct).

Jim who said that you have to?? I have always been upfront with my trainees and let them know if they fuckup then we will deal with it. But the restitution costs... I have had some come and go, but the way I feel is that I am grooming somebody to take my place on the ladder and I will say and do what it takes if they(trainees or management) like it or not. Most have went on to become really decent parts guys but then have had a few failures too. It's expected, nobody is perfect...

Larry, I'm swinging a double edged sword.... First, I have to watch my mouth a bit because we have a labour relations board in Alberta... Employees can run crying to the "hall monitor" if they even think I overstepped the bounds of decency. Might be that I did nothing wrong, but who needs the hassle?

Even with my muzzle on, I can get real close...

Next... with the labour shortage we have, I need to be sure I'm not about to throw the baby out with the bath water... There is always the glimmer of hope that one of these youngsters may see the light and actually apply themselves to their careers.... This same labour shortage is why we have some people of this lower quality... you feel lucky when someone drops off a resume....

FWIW... the sign out front of our local golden arches says "full time - $12.50/hr."

That's really tough on a guy like you that just wants to do your job to the best of you ability and be stuck the way it is, My situation was when I was at Cummins and(sorry cry babies)Union.

I knew what had to be done but was stuck because I was in the union. Got my ass in trouble more than once(probably 6-7 times) i didn't care if the truck needs something then I'm there trying to figure it out, but that's what a union is and I feel your pain. Got hung out to dry and was the outcast even being that I knew more than the Senior parts guy and most of management. With that said I guess it just SUCKS to be us!!!

I'm really glad to be at a independant now!!!!

Don't even go there with the "U" word lol. Ft Mac is full of unions and all the bs that goes with them. All the unions up here do is give protection to people that normally can't walk and chew gum at the same time and a job that pays them 120+K a year to drive a truck around a mine and dump tar sand in a pile.

How did this thread get so far away from cam sensors? haha

First off I can go there with the UNION because I was in the Union, Didn't like it but dealt with it,SORRY!!!

Read the following quote!!!

Quote:
Man $250.00 for a cmp sensor, I'm sorry for that being a parts guy and all. Even when I was at the dealer I never sold them for more than about $130.00-$135.00 over the counter. Now mind you that this where dealers get the bad reputation for jamming it up the pooper to customers.

Don't believe in screwing over customers and never will!!!!

By the way I believe I was the first person to inform the DTS about the new CMP'S and the new price of them...

First off I can go there with the UNION because I was in the Union, Didn't like it but dealt with it,SORRY!!!

Sorry Larry I didn't mean to sound like it was directed at you.....I think we share the same opinion on the unions....It sure is a different world up here /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

How did this thread get so far away from cam sensors? haha

Jim ranting on about getting all the guys in his shop to check OASIS on all 7.3L trucks, or anything that comes in the shop, for that matter.

But, getting back on topic, I'm just curious if anyone has had issues so far, after carrying out the recall? I ran into one that was running fine until I replaced the sensor. The guy "limped" the truck back to the shop screaming mad that I "fucked up" his truck. This was an '03 E-series cubevan with 359,000 kms. Apparently, it wouldn't accelerate above 50 km/h, almost like it was starving for fuel. I was able to duplicate the symptom, but NO DTCs, and after reinstalling the old sensor, all was well. This was the VERY first time I've come across this, and I've replaced many more than my fair share of CMPs on 7.3s, both retail, and under 07S57. Now, after this experience, I'm not so sure I want to have the advisors add the line on the repair order for 7.3s coming in for oil changes.

Mike... the intent was to make everyone see that OASIS is a valuable tool... Since this trade has a very complex dynamic, it is hard to always "stay on topic" as sidebars tend to develop... like now...

Bad expereinces are a way of life in this trade... every job you get in your bay has a very real chance of taking a giant leap sideways in a heartbeat... Remove one part on what should be a simple repair can have us saying "OH MY GAWD!!" when we least expect to.

You had a bad go with one sensor and you sound like you are going to throw in the towel on going that little bit further for your customers... Sh!t happens... When we talk about "new" parts, we are actually only saying "previously unused".

Fact of the matter... if I could get my guys to use OASIS the way it was intended, we'd be doing this FSA quite often... If I found a bad, new sensor, then I generate a service part warranty type RO.... Stroke the customer a bit and be done with it.... Don't abandon a noble endeavour because one went bad....

Life sucks... all we can do is "cowboy up".

I agree OASIS is/can be a very valuable tool and should always be used. I guess the problem with me is that I tend to take it too personally when something goes awry. The fact of the matter is, I didn't intend on causing any inconvenience to this person. It was actually the scrap metal truck. But the way he came back yelling, it was as if I deliberately tried to "ruin his day" as he put it. It's not going to stop me from doing my job though.

Mike... you are talking to "Mr. Anal Rententive".... I agonize over every last thing I do.... Replaced the intermediate band in a CD4E... up until the tech reisntalled the trans, I was on tenderhooks... Called a cluster on an 07 Explorer... even though my diag was "pristine", I was beside myself until I saw that the concern was, indeed, fixed... Criticism can get my guts boiling....

But we take all of that, and apply logic to our lives... and we progress... I take setbacks in stride... I live with my mistakes... just because I don't let them affect my performance doesn't mean I don't feel every agonizing second of whatever is up my caboose...

We all feel like shit at one time or another (or constantly /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif ).... some of us just deal with it a little better....

Damn the pooched CMPs.... full speed ahead!!!!

Mike... you are talking to "Mr. Anal Rententive".... I agonize over every last thing I do.... Replaced the intermediate band in a CD4E... up until the tech reinstalled the trans, I was on tenderhooks... Called a cluster on an 07 Explorer... even though my diag was "pristine", I was beside myself until I saw that the concern was, indeed, fixed... Criticism can get my guts boiling....

But we take all of that, and apply logic to our lives... and we progress... I take setbacks in stride... I live with my mistakes... just because I don't let them affect my performance doesn't mean I don't feel every agonizing second of whatever is up my caboose...

We all feel like shit at one time or another (or constantly /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif ).... some of us just deal with it a little better....

Damn the pooched CMPs.... full speed ahead!!!!

Jim? I think we may be twins separated at birth...only difference is I finally couldn't take the stress anymore. Been pretty frustrated lately that I quit back in 05 as that seems to be when the dealers found they had to increase the pay rate here in the USA to keep a decent tech...

I re-play my conversation with the SM in my head...went in and told him I didn't want a raise just wanted OUT! If I had approached it with less emotion might have gotten what I really needed. At the time the PD'S/IDS deal was just about to come over the horizon. I wanted to go get it...get a jump-start on the learning curve as that is always to your advantage. Problem was the shop wouldn't buy any tools. Still hadn't even thought about it much...the whole thing just became such an uphill battle and I, well, broke. Quit and went home and started selling stuff...you probably know where this was/could have been headed.

Fortunately a guy on one of my MC boards offered me a free place to live while I got my head straight. Been here 2 years doing mostly nothing but prep his dirtbike...he has a bunch of older heavy equipment that requires an incredible amount of time just trying to find parts. About drives me nuts not being able to just walk up to a parts counter and ask for a part. The biggest problem is the electrical side of things. Wiring is cooked/ripped/missing and I'm too blind now to see things, plus my back isn't great, so makes it really tough to get to this stuff to do anything. I REALLY miss the dealership.

I'm 50 with a 70 year old back and failing eyesight...unfortuately not great at blowing smoke op someones ass either...brutally honest is what I call it. When you go to an interview they want you to present yourself as Superman IMO. The more you brag the better they like you...I have NEVER met one of these SuperTech asswipes that could carry my jockstrap when it came down to FIRFT. Lots of bravado and hype about how many hours they could turn but LOTS of comebacks...

Blah, blah, blah...

• 1 month later...

I'm a little hesitant to post this, but this last week while I was away for training at Ford school to complete the last classroom course needed to complete my automatic transmission specialty, they passed out all the 7.3s coming in for this recall. I couldn't believe all the whiners! Some of these guys have been in the trade for over twenty years, and they were whining about having to go to the trouble of bringing the vehicle in and putting it up in the air. I couldn't even believe it when one "tech" actually went to the trouble of getting "approval" for 1.0 hr because "it was seized".

Interesting, I suppose these are not truck or diesel guys?

We got off to a slow start with this recall but now we are running them through with some regularity now. This has been interesting to watch as it is bringing some old customers back to our dealership with an added service or repair order. What's more is that they all get a QCRC (yes, he's going there again) and we have had some good up-sell on a few. Yes, there have been a few there for "just the recall please" and a hand full declining any up-sell work but we have managed to stay busy in part due to this recall. A few that were in just for the recall we don't even bother with putting them on a lift. For crying out loud it's not the end of the World! You grab your part while in the parts department for something else and get on a creeper and get it done while oil is draining out of something else... or waiting for an approval... Whining? Really?

Keith, you wouldn't believe some of the kind of guys I have to work with. I don't consider myself a "pro" at working on diesels, but I will put some kind of effort into fixing "broken" diesels that pass through my hands. Apparently I'm the first guy that has come along that has been "willing" to work on a diesel. For the most part, it takes me all of 2 minutes to change one of these sensors. It takes me longer to bring the truck into the shop, put a parts request in, get the part, than it does to actually do the job. But, apparently I trying to be a "hero" or a "kiss-asser" to some guys in the shop. Just because I don't "refuse" hard work. Yes, there have been a couple that I have successfully upsold an oil change here and there, but for the most part, it's been like you said, "just the recall only please".