6.0 egr cooler bypass kit

Rate this topic

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen pics of a custom egr cooler bypass done a 6.0 drag truck called stroked lighting outta Cali. Guy is a master fabricator did a little cutting and a little welding and tied everything in the way it should be with the cooler there and it hasn't gone ka boom yet. This truck is also driven on the street not just the track but not a daily driver by any means.

Before any of the new faces get me wrong... If a guy wants to trick out a toy truck...Hey, he can knock himself out... I have a number of friends with street rods that I spend a few evenings every summer tuning (will work for beer).... These things are on the road for only a very few hours each year...

Daily drivers... now there's a different story...

Heres the after product Larry http://www.socaps.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/3972 and Alex thats part of it blocking off the exhaust side of things but this is what you call totally removing it haha. This truck is a drag truck Jim like I said rarely on the street for a cruise mostly trailered from what I understand have talked to the guy many times about the truck and what to do with this that and the other thing. Emissions aren't a bad thing but I am young and not a fan but hey its the way things are going so I guess I will just have to build an "off road use only" diesel pickup to have fun with and an emissions truck to get me to and from work and wherever else /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif.

That's a cross that we all bear, Chris... You young'uns missed the years we used to call the "horsepower wars"... Cars from the factory with two four barrel carbs or even three two barrel carbs.... There ain't nothing like the rumble of a big inch V8 with a long cam....

But we all need to be aware of our environment... we are paying for both the excesses of our fathers as well as our own excesses. And with world population growing, there are more and more of us to contribute to the problem...

So many confuse good mileage with low emissions.... at this point in time, we can put up with using non-renewable resources at high rates because technology is on the cusp of redefining fuel requirements and engine technology in so many different ways.... Or at least I hope it is....

I understand that Jim... There was a muscle car era which you are talking about and the last few years have been the diesel truck era and the government is putting a stop to diesels as it did muscle cars. I still love watchin an 8k pound truck make an 11 to 12 second pass in the quarter mile but im gettin the itch to build a mustang for faster times than that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif.. so all in all down in the states yea we need to watch out for the environment but the EPA is a blood sucking tick sucking the life out of our country/industrial economy and it is all about money and thats it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

The horsepower wars are back, as far as I'm concerned! We've got the 6.1 hemi's putting out 425hp and gobs of torque, the LS1 engines GM was using in the F-body's are ANIMALS with incredible potential, the newer LS engines are 400+hp, with the LS9 in the Z06 being a 427 cube 11:1 505hp V8 that still gets 26mpg on the highway, don't even get me started on the performance potential of Ford's 4 valves with some boost in the mix.

And these are modern-day power ratings, with all the accessories bolted to the engine and running full-tilt, not the old days where it was basically just the crank and water pump.

I personally love it, it's about time we started giving vehicles some testicles again. It's a hard to swallow, but desd-accurate fact that the coveted muscle cars back in the day like the Big Block Chevelles, 426 Chargers, and the like, that could barely crack 12's on a good day, are now only a gear swap away from stock GT mustangs right now. LS1 Camaros and Firebirds would run right with the fastest of the muscle cars back in the day, '03/'04 Cobras would leave them in the mirrors... and this is with power steering, stereo cranking, and the A/C blasting as well.

Like I said at the beginnine - Muscle cars are back and only getting more impressive, as far as I'm concerned.

Dave

im actually gunna try doing this on my own truck, but here's the trick.. low egts, low coolant temp, no check engine codes, no computer flashes, and most of all NO SMOKE!!! im not gunna delete the hole egr system.. ill let you know what happends

Eliminating the egr cooler shouldn't throw a code. And custom tuning for the 6.0 is the best thing for it. I see you work at banks which is fine but I like how you put in the no smoke comment. Im pretty sure all the trucks putting down over 1000 hp mainly pulling trucks smoke but the power is there right? Shutting the egr valve off lowers egts without removing the cooler. Does your banks 6 gun do that? Not tryin to go after ya but comments like that erk me the wrong way.

I'm gonna play the old timey guy card.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Picture a warm summer evening almost 40 years ago... with a luke-warm beer in hand I look out at the clear night sky staring at the stars... There's me, a timing light , a jet wrench and what scant knowledge I possessed.... along with a buddies Mustang with a 428 nestled between the shock towers. Going faster was up to me and my tools... not to some computer wienie thousands of miles away... Combustion chamber and cylinder head technology was still in it's infancy... Carburettors were what we had.... You have lived until you've fought with a bad case of fuel stand-off...

Yeah... these modern cars are nifty.... but hot rods are lumpy, ill tempered bastuhds... and that is part of their beauty...

One very good friend ( a bachelor, you'll notice) has an 06 'Vette and an 06 Viper... Yep... they're nice. But his '69 Charger... now there is a car...

im not trying to eleminate the egr cooler itself, im just trying to stop the exhaust gas from re-entering the cylinders and also stop the engine coolant from flash heat.. the banks tuners doesnt do anything with the egr system. gale doesn't like to do anything to the new engines to void emmissions. thats why we keep the cats in all of our exhaust systems. but it has been proven by us already that it is possible to run 8 seconds in a quarter mile with a diesel truck and not have any smoke.

ones you put a blockoff plate on the egr inlet, 90 percent of the time you will throw a code because the egr valve senses that gas and also you have your IAT#2 sencor is getting a different reading than it should. when you block that off you dont want that valve to open so i have a way to make the computer think that it is working properly but really staying shut, and requires NO FLASHING of the pcm. technically speaking, it all starts with AIR.. power is Air limited..Smoke is power you can see but cant use!!

well first i have an adapter for the Y pipe to stop the exhaust from entering the egr cooler,, then i have a seperate stand alone tuner which will be ""plug and play"" under the hood.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ... that will take care of the check engine light problems so you dont have to do a computer flash and also it will be ""non detectable""just like the 6gun... no need to remove egr cooler or egr valve.. also no wire splicing.. tuner is still in the making.. it will have nothing to do with the 6gun either..

Did I read correctly that someone said the fuel mileage went up quite a bit with an egr delete?

If so does it mean that if the fuel is burning more completely that the emmisions would be better out the tailpipe?

Not much of a thinker on my end so I don't know.

well it takes air to burn fuel.. if your mixing fuel with cooled exhaust gas then its not gunna burn all the fuel to begin with.. if you add just pure outside air into the engine and adjust the pulse/width/timing of the injectors correctly, and mix that with cold dense air then ya it should burn all the fuel, give you better power, and fuel economy.. but another thing im after is reliability, durability, low temps, and egts.. i still have the stock cat but with everything done ill still have NO SMOKE.. im not into racing this truck.. im into pulling my 40ft toyhauler on the weekends and keeping this truck looking like brand new.. but the only thing i want to be on the side of the road for is to take a leak or grab a bite to eat,. thats it..

this will work weather you have the sixgun or not.. but i havent done any testing with other tuners so i cant say what the side effect would be if you used a flash programmer or another tuner.. but yes it will work well if you have the 6gun. we have done some more testing here with 6gun and we found that if you drop the accelerator pump pressure, that it is actually faster of the bottom end and it has less smoke because ford has a delay on the fuel injection system.. when your at a dead stop and you punch the gas, it dumps to much fuel off the line that it cant burn because of the lack of air.. ones the turbo kicks in the smoke is gone. go figure..

Josh, are the modifications you are doing to your truck all Banks parts and are they all a part of a kit or are you playing with parts and technology that you have available to you? The reason I ask is to bring up Jim's question about NOx and emissions in general. If this is a kit, have the emissions been tested? Notice I didn't say certified. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

My point is to get a feel for just how much meeting emissions standards affects performance. No smoke is commendable but we also need to be mindful of the odorless/colorless gasses. Do you have emissions testing equipment at Banks? If you do could you perform a before and after test? I think that would be interesting.

Im glad Gale doesn't want to hurt the environment but by using a custom tune say through an SCT dealer and shutting off the EGR alone will actually help with all the Valve problems ford has with them gettin coked up with soot from extended idling so and so forth. That is the one advantage banks has is the plug and play but I am not a fan personally of just a off the shelf tuner. I want something made specifically for my truck and have everything monitored but thats just me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif A plug and play tuner last i knew could not change for custom injectors? Am I wrong? What about for a custom VGT? Theres alot more involved in this whole game and I have by no means the r and d capabilites banks does nor do the people I work with. The only way we r and d is by using it. Either it works or it doesn't plain and simple /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

i have a lot of test equipment avaliable even with the new dpf stuff.. we have a couple of different dynos to play with.. right now they are pretty busy because on every new diesel truck we work on we spend 3000 hrs. or 80,000 miles of testing with it before we release a product.. thats how we know our product wont hurt your truck.. Data Acquisition is nice to have avaliable so ya i can measure opacity (smoke),, and also NOx,and other gasses.. so im also curious on what the difference is gunna be..

this product is actually something im doing on the side to my own trucks but most of the engineers are curious to see what my results are.. this is not something that gale wants to sale to the public.. im just toying around with my own trucks.. i have an 05 and 06 powerstokes both with big hoss bundles. but the ""tuner"" i am playing with is not gunna control the fuel injection system.. the 6gun will do that.. i wouldnt recommend any other tuner anyway.. i will have some pictures to follow soon so you guys can get a sneak peak on how things look and work.. and say goodbye to having to ever clean that egr valve and the leftover coolant that keeps spitting out of my overflow tank,, that really grinds my gears..

and by the way this will be specifically for all 05 and up 6.0's,, i do have an 03 that i will do after i finish one thing at a time.