3.0L Duratec V6 Engines

Rate this topic

mchan68

Has anyone else experienced any type of failures on any new model year of this engine lately? I just finished an '08 Escape that didn't make it to its first oil change before being brought in with a complaint of a knocking sound. Bank #2 exhaust cam wore out the bearing caps so bad, that there was at least 1/16th of an inch gap between the cam and the bearing surface. It was the last three caps closest the the water pump drive. It's quite stupid that there's no tensioner on the belt drive for the water like there used to be on Contour/Mystique/Cougar applications. With the way that belt is tight, it kind of makes me think that that's what caused the failure. My next job is for a bank #1 cylinder head gasket leak of engine oil on an '08 Fusion.

I've seen several 01-06 3.0 Duratec motors in for missfiring due to burnt exhaust valves - which almost always seem to occour in the front bank (cyl's 4,5,6). I also had an 06 Escrap that blew off a radiator hose and melted down last fall.

Easy there David, the word "recall" is not acceptable in our vocabulary anymore.

What you meant to say was "..but thats really about the only thing I can field service action going wrong". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk2.gif

Ok I'm Sorry I offended you Brad I should said ,thats all I can "REMEMBER" going wrong...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Keep it up and I stop at your shop and throw a snowball at you when I'm on my way to Smugglers Notch next week. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cover.gif

Well, to get things back on topic, I just finished replacing a head gasket on an '08 Fusion. It was leaking engine oil from the oil feed to bank #1 cylinder head (back side). I straight-edged both the block and the head, and both appeared flat. This is the first time I've seen this type of failure on a Duratec. I'm used to doing this repair on 4.6/5.4 F-series, speaking of which I kind of miss doing them. Anyone who has to drop the subframe on one beware, there is no master spline on the steering rack, meaning that the coupler can be installed in numerous different orientations, putting the steering wheel off-center. Make sure to index mark the before they are disconnected.

Very good tip, thanks for the heads up. Now I remember why I like it so much around here. TO this day I would still be doing somethings the hard way if I had not joined and got some good time saving info.

I just remembered that the last time I did a Taurus head I found out the hard way that the crank trigger wheel has two keyway notches in it so look at it before you throw it back together. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smhair.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I saw another problem with a 3.0 Duratec...though this one is from a failed Fram oil filter which came apart and plugged up an oil passage on the rear head with orange rubber chunks. I think there was a ssm or tsb about this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Back when I was at Cummins, we had a similar issue with the oil filter loosing the glue/goo inside and plugging up the pickup and launching engines(5.9). Fram gave a good battle to cover them. Make sure that everything is documented and save all of the parts and pieces of filter that are left/that you can find. You may want to get a oil analysis as well.

Back in the 80's I had a defective Fram filter cost me an engine in one of my dune buggies. Fram inspected the filter and wrote me a check for retail on parts and labor. There was an accompanying letter that said something like "We admit no fault in this case, but in the interest of customer relations we'll pick up the price of this engine." Yea, right. I still hate Fram filters and won't use them at any price.

I'm an OE guy- I use all OE filters, OE coolant, OE tranny fluid, OE brake pads on my own stuff. When I had the shop we used a lot of OE filters and all OE electronic parts. We did use aftermarket brake parts to be competitive, though.

The more OE parts I use, the less complicated my life is.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Guy down the hall from me did a cylinder head on one today, leaking oil. Warped. BADLY. He said the area that had the most concentrated leakage had a loose head bolt, as he discovered loosening he heads off.