06 F350 STARTS THEN STALLS

Rate this topic

ANYONE EVER SEE THE FILTER SCREEN ON THE END OF THE IPR VALVE COME OFF AND CAUSE A START THEN STALL. THE TRUCK WOULD RUN COLD FOR ABOUT 3 OR 4 MINS THEN STALL AND NOT RESTART.AIR LEAK AT REAR THAT DIDDN'T CHANGE WHEN POWERING UP THE IPR. THE O-RINGS WERE STILL ON THE IPR.ANY IDEAS ON WHAT CAUSED THE VALVE TO COME APART? NEW ONE SEEMED TO CORRECT IT FOR NOW.THANKS FOR ANY INPUT

Kevin, we've had a few where the screen has stayed in the HPOP when the IPR is removed.. not sure if it could be chalked up to poor fit, an assembly error or the damage we sometimes find to the screen (unfortunately, we can never be sure if it is the HPOP that killed it or our attempts to dig it out).

I'm going to assume that the screen was undamaged and contained no debris once you got it out?

FWIW, I do know of at least one instance where a second screen was discovered in the IPR port.... looked like the IPR had been changed previously and the wannabe that changed it was half asleep.

I'd think the IPR was the problem, and the screen did not come unattached until the IPR was removed.

Jim, if it makes any difference, when an IPR screen stays stuck in the pump, I just crank the engine over and the screen comes out with the oil the pump pushes out. That or apply air to the test port and blow it out.

Ahhh, the simplest things can escape us....

cranking the engine just isn't a good option in our shop.... cramped, crowded... and "oil patch" dirty... all of our floors slope the wrong way (if you want to keep your feet dry, go stand near the sump). Putting more crap on the floor is something we try to avoid...

Now the air thing..... To quote a famous celebrity.... "DOH!!!".

Though I have only seen a handful of these I have been bitten by the HPOP. Regulator screens not attached have always been found damaged by me though not crushed as illustrated on page 7 of the attached "High_Pressure_Oil_System.pdf" document. This is also covered by TSB 05-12-3. What bothers me is that there is mention of debris as the likely root cause of IPR screen damage. Are the screens coming off because of this? They don't mention separated screens!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

I used hotline request on a truck that had the IPR screen pushed back and a little peice of black plastic was stuck inside. They told me anytime the IPR screen is broken that you MUST check the resevoir screen in the oil cooler resevoir. Clean out the resevoir and check for debris. Everyone that had a IPR screen broken had the resevoir screen broken. Then told tp replace pump, IPR, resevoir screen.

When the IPR screen is stuck in the pump, then just dig it out is what they said. "It happens"

Everyone that had a IPR screen broken had the resevoir screen broken.

That reservoir screen is almost ALWAYS broken on every truck that I've had to replace the oil cooler on. I just replace it anyways, whenever I open it up for any reason.

Mike, our other two diesel techs have come across several damaged reservoir screens... I haven't found one yet but, not being a line tech, I don't get much more than driveability and electrical (with any automatics thrown in...) most of the time.

For the HPOP.. if you're sharp and have a bad vane in the pump, it will show on the IDS. A couple of times we've seen ICP ramp up and then dip and ramp up some more and then dip... never quite making it past ~350 PSI or so.

As for broken reservoir screens, I'm wondering if old oil that was too thick to start with wouldn't have an effect on those flimsy boogers.

Quote:
As for broken reservoir screens, I'm wondering if old oil that was too thick to start with wouldn't have an effect on those flimsy boogers.

And don't try to clean one and dry it with compressed air. I cleaned one so good you couldn't see the screen anymore! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Had a 05 with the same problem, would start and them die after about 3-4 min. the ICP would start at 900 psi the drop to 500 then die

found the same thing with the ipr screen coming off, used a small needle nose to get it out and found two small flakes on metal on the screen, air testing didn't find any leaks, tech line had me replace the HPOP and the IPR, did that and haven't seen it back

thanks guys for the input truck seems to be fixed,no return visit i might should have replaced the pump to from what i've read but the ipr seems to have got it for now.i think the o-rings can't withstand the pressure without the plastic backing them up and i was afraid to reattach the plastic screen even though it seemed to snap back on.