Code of the day?

Rate this topic

Hey guys, i was recently told by a certain unnamed instructor, that the IDS 'code of the day' for manually entering programming and whatnot is a simple mathematical formula. Well, not so simple, I can't figure the damn thing out. I was wondering if anyone on here knew how to figure this code out, so I don't have to call the hotline every time I need to manually program something?

Thanks in advance fellows!

It's used for forcing AS BUILT DATA into a module. see the TPMS thread in the Body/Chassis/Electrical section for more info. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

It very well could be a simple formula...if you know the formula or algorithm. It could be amazingly simple or it may take a stadium full of Opterons running 24/7 to crack it.

I started to elaborate on some things but deleted it because this sort of thing is illegal and we would not want to promote illegal activities on this forum now would we?

Here we can discuss all kinds of things without "promoting" them (unlike fmcdealer). This is after all a PRIVATE forum. If lack of knowledge is the only thing stopping someone from doing something questionable, then that person has bigger problems-and probably isn't even smart enough to get in here. If they happen to be "just smart enough to be dangerous", then they are still liable for their own actions. It's all good /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif

Hey guys, i was recently told by a certain unnamed instructor, that the IDS 'code of the day' for manually entering programming and whatnot is a simple mathematical formula. Well, not so simple, I can't figure the damn thing out. I was wondering if anyone on here knew how to figure this code out, so I don't have to call the hotline every time I need to manually program something?

Thanks in advance fellows!

Back in the day, when WDS was the tool to use, if you were given a code of the day and you saved it, you could use it again by reseting the date on the WDS to the day the code was known to work. This did work for me but I have not tried this with IDS /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif so if you try it I would love to know if it works just for shits and giggles.

Quote:
Here we can discuss all kinds of things without "promoting" them (unlike fmcdealer). This is after all a PRIVATE forum.
I would like Keith's opinion on this sort of thing. If he jumps into this thread and gives his blessing to discuss things of this nature then so be it. To me it's like discussing how to break into someone's house or hack a home wireless network. You can say that it is just conversation but.....

Some time ago there was a post on how to get some particular Ford software to run on XP home (if I remember correctly). That would be a noble undertaking. You would not be cracking any passwords or breaking an EULA you would just be modifying your own OS (which you paid for) to run the Ford software.

Don't interpret this post as me being preachy. I am a guest in this forum. I worked for a Ford heavy truck dealer years ago but Keith let me in as a fleet mechanic. I don't want to disrespect him or his forum by talking about things that are flat out illegal.

It could be that I blew this code of the day thing way out of proportion but usually when you see the words figure out and password in the same sentence it only means one thing.

By reading these posts it seems like you boys know what is right and what is wrong. We are not exactly discussing national security secrets so as of right now I have no objection to this discussion. After all, a call to the Hot Line is all it takes to get a code for an appropriate reason. Is discovering a mathematical equation to create a code illegal? No. Is using that code without "authorization" illegal? I do not know. There is no warning, there is no disclaimer and there is no user agreement with an acceptance of terms check box on the special functions screen so is authorization actually required?

Did it occur to you gentleman that it is very likely there are more codes than just the "code of the day" which allow different things to happen and that you will never be given any code that that will allow you to do anything Ford does not want us to do in the first place?

Quote:
You would not be cracking any passwords or breaking an EULA you would just be modifying your own OS (which you paid for) to run the Ford software.

Actually, in most cases we only pay for a license to use software. You do not actually own it. Ironically, this is likely where the real liability is defined. You know, when you installed the IDS software and agreed to the terms of use that nobody ever reads? Since I didn't read it either I suggest that you don't quote me on that!

But keep in mind that the public can see what we post.

That is incorrect. The DTS forums are NOT accessible without valid username and password beyond the Portal Page. I DO have the option of allowing non-members or member groups to have "view only" access but access rights have only been assigned to authorized members.

Very well spoken Keith, I applaud you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif

Quote:
You would not be cracking any passwords or breaking an EULA you would just be modifying your own OS (which you paid for) to run the Ford software.

I seem to remember paying dearly for my vcm subscription/ids renewal.
Certainly we haven't crossed any "legal" boundaries, at least not yet. That would require there actually being a LAW against THINKING, which is all were doing. We're THINKING about ways to regain something we've already had for the past several years. Were not talking about modifying or hacking software, just to understand how it generates a code we need to do our jobs. A code that we can obtain anyway from the mother company. Yes, there are ways to potentially use the code for bad, but the overwhelming majority of uses are not only quite legitimate, but increasingly more necessary to perform the tasks we do. This seems to me at least, to be a relevant cause due to the fact that far too many times when I needed to contact hotline, they were closed for training or a holiday or something. What do I tell the customer from out of town then, when he drove 60 miles and is waiting to have me install some sop module that can only be configured with as built? Ford got pissy because they feel that too many people found out their secret code. As a result, they made more hoops for us to jump through in order to get it. That is a far cry from passing an actual law. I'm a Ford man, and always will be. I believe in the company, but sometimes the bean counters make our lives more difficult than necessary. Until Ford actually lobbies congress to pass legislation that stops me...or until Ford comes up with a labor op for contacting hotline, I'm going to be as self sufficient and perform legitimate repairs as efficiently as I possibly can. When I think about it, it just seems to me that if Ford gave us all of the technical support we needed-when we needed it this would be a non issue, but obviously that is not the case. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif
Keith, am I that far off base with this ???

Gee Golly, as I peck away at the keyboard the conversation keeps going and my questions are answered before I even post them /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif

Keith, am I that far off base with this ???

Not at all. I agree with you and share the same sentiment. I have a job to do and that is all I want to be able to do. But to be honest, I really don't think we have a need to crack any code though. It is, none the less, intriguing.

Quote:
Certainly we haven't crossed any "legal" boundaries, at least not yet
The only boundaries I was concerned with were the boundaries of this forum.
Quote:
We're THINKING about ways to regain something we've already had for the past several years.
It used to be legal to smoke weed (so I am told).

What concerned me the most with your post is your ability to rationalize what you are doing.

Quote:
That would require there actually being a LAW against THINKING, which is all were doing. We're THINKING about ways to regain something we've already had for the past several years. Were not talking about modifying or hacking software, just to understand how it generates a code we need to do our jobs.
You gotta be kidding me. This is all for the poor customer who drove 60 miles on a holiday and you could not get a code? You only want to know how to do it?

Don't get me wrong Jeff, I could care less if you crack every code Ford has, more power to you if you can but some forums really frown on this sort of thing.

Again, your post is all about rationalizing what you are doing. Maybe it is an age difference thing but I have a hard time with what you are saying.

My apologies to you Aaron. I didn't mean to turn your thread into a pissing match.

Kyle,

I apologize if you felt that my rant was directed at you. I was simply venting about how FoMoCo makes all of our lives more difficult sometimes than it needs to be. I'm thinking this thread would have never been started if that were not true.

Anyway, I hope we can stop our pissing match and go back to helping each other out again.

Peace,

~Jeff

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Quote:
I apologize if you felt that my rant was directed at you. I was simply venting about how FoMoCo makes all of our lives more difficult sometimes than it needs to be.
No need to apologize, I didn't feel that way at all but thanks any way.

You may want to consider italics or underlining when making a point unless you are really pissed THEN USE ALL CAPS. When caps are used it is assumed that you are yelling. Just a suggestion.

Quote:
I hope we can stop our pissing match and go back to helping each other out again.
Absolutely. I never was pissed Jeff so I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Word to the wise... there is a vast difference between "pushing" the envelope and ripping it wide open....

I have yet to read a EULA... I can't hardly make it three lines into all that lawyer-babble without reaching for my dear old friend.... I know that we aren't allowed to desconstruct the application to reveal the source code.... But... what if we viewed some ..... ummmmm, features - as home grown "plug-ins"....

I haven't yet had the need to bypass the VID-block... but I might have one in the shop as we speak... (an 06 with a new cluster that wants to be identified as an 03/04).

Forcing a module or network into performing an "unnatural act" is a hazy area.... If your reasons or reasoning smell bad to you, they will stink to high heaven when they reach someone that matters....

Check out today's broadcast message...

Quote:
When using IDS release B53.5_P10 or later, there will be a selection under the Module Programming section labeled As-Built. If the IDS is connected to the internet, this will automatically download the Method 2 configuration data into the module as obtained from the As-built area of PTS. If the IDS is not connected to the internet, the user will be advised by the tool how to manually load the As-built file from PTS.

NOTE: This should not be used in lieu of Programmable Module Installation when replacing a defective module as the module also requires a separate configuration file installed during PMI to function properly.

Vehicle Lines Involved:

MY07 Edge/MKX, Expedition, and Navigator

MY08 Edge/MKX, Expedition, and Navigator, F-Series Super Duty, Focus, Sable, Taurus, and Taurus X

I guess you can teach an old company new tricks, either that or hotline got tired of getting calls all day from techs asking for the code /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ford.gif

• 7 months later...

I got the formula figured out for this, even wrote a tool using Visual Basic to generate the code for you.

AND Keith - if you have a code for a certain date - and set the IDS date to that date, it DOES work.