Lease ended...

Rate this topic

LARRY BRUDZYNSKI

Okay guy's here we go...My Dakota's lease just ended. I am driving my little Saturn SL2 right now. I'm not going to lease again it is costing me to much($3500.) mileage when I just turned it in. 60 miles each way every day, I'm going to buy a truck but want a full size. from the experience I have with Ford it might cost to much just to own it,(Ball joints,4wd parts,E40D transmissions,brakes) should I go on...All the problematic parts and service that I have seen thru-out the years, I would like to buy a Ford but am hesitant... Any suggestions???

Well, you pose a tough question, Larry. Without knowing what uses you will have, other than your commute, I'd have to suggest that you follow your desire. If you are able to keep it as long as you want, unlike the lease (although I suppose that you could buy it out at the end) where you will turn it back in, you can plan on having a good long life out of your choice.

It is harder to justify a Diesel these days. With fuel costing more than gas and higher initial cost, the ROI would appear to be getting farther away. Add to that the suggestion that the Powerstrokes shouldn't be used for extended unloaded driving and it seems like you are asking for trouble by driving it in commute traffic. Unless you are going to haul often enough it is probably not worth it anymore.

I guess that I am fortunate enough to have a truck that I still like, not making payments, and only have a 32 mile round trip on rural roads for my commute. I give myself the luxury of driving my pickup daily rather than saving a little money with wifey's Outback. However, if I needed to buy another truck, I don't know what I'd look at. What are you considering?

Well getting tired of driving my skateboard(92 Saturn SL2) I am going to look at all 3 Ford,Chevy,and Dodge. Don't know what I'll get but it definitley has to be a quad cab and 4wd. It won't be brand new but I figure 2-3 years old would be okay. I drive to many miles, the lease turn in killed me, way over on miles.

F-150 all the way. That is what im looking for and would rec. Ever since they did the 6 3/4 bed with quad cab.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif. I sat in a new chevy...just seemed sooo .... icky..... im not a big fan of their interiors....seem...just... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif .. i'm not being biased...but..maybe im just so accustomed to the Ford interior...or just prefer it 10fold over any of the 3. As for any other company...if you buy a japanese truck..u need to turn in ure man card. IMHO /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cover.gif

Well Larry, you said you wanted a full size truck. So if you are going to buy a Ford, I would say buy a Superduty V10 or an F-150 with a 4.6L V8. And if you haul a travel trailer, definatley, buy a V10. These new V10's have been absolutely incredible for us and the new transmissions are also incredible. The new 3 valve V10 has been out since 2005 and is never ever in the shop for anything other than maintenance. And with the V10 being lighter than the diesel, it is easier on ball joints and other front end components.

However, if you don't want that heavy of a truck and are looking for something a little more economical then I would say buy the F-150 with a 4.6L. The 4.6 still has the good old fashioned sparkplugs that don't break off in the heads. And that 2 valve engine really is tried tested and true. Good on fuel when you are not towing anything and is great for hauling a boat, utillity trailer, or a tent trailer. Absoletley a great truck with 4.6L. The new 5.4's break plugs off in the head and go through injectors almost as bad as a Sick-0. The good ole 4.6 is cheap and easy to maintain. There's my /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

However, I could sell you my winter commuter 96' Aspire and you would get great fuel mileage. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

Dwayne I think me and you are the only ones that rec. the V10's. I said V10 to my friends and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif 6.0 is where its at and when they break down i /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif

im not one to choose the 4.6... blah....that thing shakes more at idle then Micheal J. Fox trying to play operation. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cover.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cover.gif

On Edit: Im giving DamageINC credit on that for posting it on teh Ford message board.

I've held off weighing in on this thread because I have some views on leasing that might be considered "demeaning and derogatory"....

In Canada, if one were running a proprietorship or limited company, leasing might be attractive from a tax standpoint... but for Joe Average, leasing can be a cash cow for the lessor.

For "what should I buy?"... I have blue ovals on my underwear... if I were to actually consider a tatoo, it would be a blue oval on my ass.... (And such a cute ass it is....).

I was looking for a SuperCrew... and we got a lease return that I could pass up.... The 4.6 was a bit of a stumble but didn't matter much... until my loving bride talked me into a 20 foot holiday trailer. My 02 loves to be in second gear most of the time when towing.... If the ground is flat, I can keep it in third with OD cancelled. Slight grades take talent... undulating roads... make sure you know where the next gas stop is....

Our local fire chief fell in love with the V10. His work truck and the deputy chiefs truck are both V10s. Empty, they pull the same MPG as a 5.4.... Working, they are winners. Gobs of torque and they abide cool running much better than any diesel ever could.

My next truck? F350, SuperCab, shortbox.. with a 6.8. This is going to handle the 49 weeks of short trips, cold starts and urban living much better than a diesel could.... and should give adequate power for the three weeks that I can stretch my legs and enjoy the fruits of my labours.

Our local fire chief fell in love with the V10. His work truck and the deputy chiefs truck are both V10s. Empty, they pull the same MPG as a 5.4.... Working, they are winners. Gobs of torque and they abide cool running much better than any diesel ever could.

My next truck? F350, SuperCab, shortbox.. with a 6.8. This is going to handle the 49 weeks of short trips, cold starts and urban living much better than a diesel could.... and should give adequate power for the three weeks that I can stretch my legs and enjoy the fruits of my labours.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif And another smart fella who agrees. You can't beat that V10! And nothing says I HAVE BIG BALLS more than the V10 Superduty! There you have it Larry, If you want to show off your MANHOOD, buy a V10. If I win the lottery, My wife will be driving a brand new V10. My 7.3 will last for a long time.

Well, now that you mention it... I don't think my package is remarkable in size.. but i visited several doctors and even had an ultrasound (what a sweet young thing she was... the rubber gloves kinda killed the mood, though).. and they all agree... I can indeed count to three.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I will say, though, that the man of today must come to grips with the feminine side.... and I can only add that she better have big boobs...

It ain't the size of the equipment that matters... it's the size of the smile on your ladies face that tells the tale....

and I hijacked another thread....

I wasn't really talking about "our" packages Jim. I was refering to the the trucks. A Superduty V10 is a MANLY truck. Where as I consider the soft riding Chevy's a GIRLY truck. Those who drive chevy's are definatly in touch with their feminin side. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif They usually even cry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gifkick and scream when you even talk like that to them.

I consider the soft riding Chevy's a GIRLY truck. Those who drive chevy's are definatly in touch with their feminin side. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif They usually even cry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gifkick and scream when you even talk like that to them.

OUCH that hurts LMAO, well to be honest I kick and scream every monday morning on my way into work and then when I see all those 6.0's being brought in on the hook I must admit the tears do start /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Sorry Shlep. Most of my experience with Chevy guys is from the oil patch mentallity out here. I did forget to add that eventhough Sperduty V10 is a manly solid reliable truck, the Diesels that we have right now are more like an Alquida (did I spell that right?) suicide bomber cranked up on crack and you you never know when they are going to explode.

Dwayne... I was talking about "our package"... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

A SD V10 is still overkill for most of my circumstance... but at least it's better than being a model boy for wet stacking. My loving bride wants a holiday trailer bigger than some folks apartments.... My SuperCrew can barely do the 20 footer...

It's just that every time I read about the SD being a "manly" truck, I think about most of the guys on TDS.... A PSD is a $70K penis enlarger.... One only has to look at the sophomoric posts made by many.

I still think that the 6.0 is a good engine.... it's just mis-used by too many owners.

Originally Posted By: DwayneGorniak
I consider the soft riding Chevy's a GIRLY truck. Those who drive chevy's are definatly in touch with their feminin side. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif They usually even cry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gifkick and scream when you even talk like that to them.

OUCH that hurts LMAO, well to be honest I kick and scream every monday morning on my way into work and then when I see all those 6.0's being brought in on the hook I must admit the tears do start /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

How's the STC fitting and VGT holding up on your six-five? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys me and wifey have been going back and forth on this. Here is what we came up with, going to test drive and probably buy tomorrow.

2004 Ram 2500, 4WD, Quad cab, Lariat, Hemi, Burgundy with Silver rockers. Only 60K miles.

Is this a manly enough truck to keep my man card?

Can't afford a Diesel with prices going above the $4.00 mark here in Michigan.

Sorry Bruce, you know what I mean.

That works. I drove my Buddy's Hemi 3/4 ton a year and a half ago and pulled my travel trailer with it when my truck was in the bodyshop. I was impressed. Pretty decent on power. Nice truck. You just have to add some truck nuts to it though Larry. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif