6.0L head jobs being done half fast

Rate this topic

My apprentice found himself in a discussion with a couple of other techs from other dealerships about 6.0L head gasket jobs. They are all in college right now for their third year apprenticeship. These other techs were wining about the fact that they can only get 13.5 hours for a set of heads and all the journeymen at their dealerships are upset about it. they are also upset that their warranty clerks won't even try to get them any more times. He had also proceeded to tell me that these guys can do a set of gaskets in 12 hours by removing the cab. I was shocked. As I was quizzing him about this, he proceded to tell me that these guys do not even remove the intake, turbo, or the Y-pipe. They only undo the y-pipe from the exhaust manifolds, leave the the y-pipe clamped to the turbo and egr cooler, then remove the intake bolts from the cyl heads and slide the heads out from under the intakes and then replace the gaskets and slide the heads back in./forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

So I asked my apprentice what these guys are doing when they find that the EOT is 25 degrees hotter than the ECT. He proceded to tell me that these guys are just diving right in and doing the head gaskets and punting them because they do not get paid enough for the job. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/surprise.gif

My responce: Well no Fuckin Wonder these Hacks aren't getting paid any more! If you do absolutley no Fuckin diag and only half the friggin job, why the hell should anyone pay you any more than the 13.5. In fact, why the hell should these hacks even get paid the 13.5 if they havn't even diaged the Fuckin Job? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif So I proceed to tell my apprentice to tell these friggin hacks to read the friggin TSB from begining to end. If they diag it properly and find like I do that the Oil cooler is failed on 99% of these trucks and the Egr cooler is failed on most of them as well, they can charge for the appropriate diag operations and actually get paid more. However, this requires the use of an intelligent brain and some actual diagnosis and labour. If you don't do the work and don't replace the parts, why the hell should anyone pay for that?

This brings me to the points that I see Jim and myself make alot: the pen is mightier than the sword. If you know what the hell it is you are supposed to be doing and you know how to wright a good story, you will get paid. If you are nothing more than lazy, you get exactly what you deserve. NOTHING!

The other thing that really pisses me off about this kind of shit: Ford sees that these assholes warranty costs are down and that dealerships like mine are through the friggin roof. These assholes make it really bad for dealerhips that have technicians that care and do the jobs propperly. Dealerships like mine are under constant scrutiny by the Ford Warranty Auditors and these asshole dealerships look great because they do not have the brain capacity to figure out how to get more money by doing the job properly. Reminds me of another discussion we had lately with the name of Rick Impey in it.

Therefore, I beleive that people like I see on this site who do their jobs proffesionaly have all the right to bitch about how little we get paid for doing the job correctly. But it just burns me to know that all these friggin hacks make things so damned bad for us. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif Why in the hell does Ford never look into that crap?

Sorry for the long bitch session, I just needed to get that off my chest.

he proceded to tell me that these guys do not even remove the intake, turbo, or the Y-pipe. They only undo the y-pipe from the exhaust manifolds, leave the the y-pipe clamped to the turbo and egr cooler, then remove the intake bolts from the cyl heads and slide the heads out from under the intakes and then replace the gaskets and slide the heads back in./forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

Can you get to the 10mm bolts under the intake with the intake on?

I know of one guy that brags something like 9 hours for these gaskets.... Dwayne may have met him at school....

He lifts the manifold a little and supports it somehow... He can be heard saying "roll them in like a donut...".

12 HOURS,SHEEET. SOME OF THESE GUYS FROM THE SOUTH BRONX WILL HAVE THE WHOLE DAM TRUCK IN PIECES AND SOLD IN 12 HOURS. ALL KIDDING ASIDE. TECHS LIKE THAT ARE WHAT CAUSE CUSTOMERS TO THINK DEALERS ARE MORONS AND THE PRODUCTS GARBAGE. AND HALF THE PROBLEM IS WARRANTY TIMES AND BUTCHERS. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif

Quote:
Dealerships like mine are under constant scrutiny by the Ford Warranty Auditors and these asshole dealerships look great because they do not have the brain capacity to figure out how to get more money by doing the job properly.

And the almighty question arises???? How many of these dealers have trucks being towed into your shop,after they do the half-assed fix and want nothing more to do with it???? And Ford(Mother) looks at you guys with a shitty tude???? For what doing the job the way (Mother) wanted to begin with or maybe (Mother) should charge them back for the FUCKED-UP repair not done as Ford has printed in the S/M's for us to follow the Diags????

See that's another thing that ticks me off Larry. We are constantly growing our clientel and getting customers that just had the head gaskets done and now the EGR and engine oil coolers have to be done or vise versa. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Dwayne, same here with that shit.....2 dif dealer's change one injector, then we get the whole bank out after diaging it correctly and finding out Fuel pressure is low. An earlier post has that issue. We were doing 3 trucks a week like that.

Then we get the...God damnit another dealer just put a EGR cooler in it a week ago....dont they fucking know that the oil cooler was the cause. Rant.

Can you get to the 10mm bolts under the intake with the intake on?

I am just putting an engine back together that I had the heads off of. So I thought I would pay particular attention to this. I threw the intake back on after I had the heads all done up and did not bolt it down right away like I normally would. I threw the turbo and Y-pipe on and bolted them down. then I looked at how these Tards can lift the intake on each side to get at those bolts and they can.

However, for the extra ten or fifteen minutes that it would take to get the turbo and Intake off I say these guys are nothing more than a bunch of autwreckers that got hired as diesel techs. Still a bunch of fargin Hacks! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif In fact, I think you would fight more with the intake trying to hold it up then having it off.

Quote:
for the extra ten or fifteen minutes that it would take to get the turbo and Intake off

BRAVO /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif

A little extra time and patience to do the job once, You're already there do it and keep the job moving, or hold up the intake have it slip and cut a finger off and pull a workmans comp. claim, be out of work for the little that it pays and have a fucked up finger for life.

I will say that there are dealer warranty admins that will not flag mtime, and diag to keep the numbers down. Granted I think the techs should find another shop but some do not care/stuck where they are for other reasons and will just find any way to make a profit off of the jobs.

You can technically do it. I was doing heads on a truck that needed them a while back and the reman i replaced it with was bad. I believe they overmilled it and the #7 exh valve hit the piston and bent causing no compression and obviously a misfire. I had to tear the bitch apart for the socond time in three days but I was in a hurry and it was late. Removed the intake bolts and put a prybar under it somewhere and was able to accomplish it. Mind you this was for Fords adjuster/inspector who was supposed to arrive first thing in the morning. It all still had to come apart after I got approval. Although I know its not necessarily accurate for a measurement I piched the head from the top where the rocker carrier mounts to the block mating surface side and compared it to the new head, I beilieve i had approx .3" difference when measured with a caliper. Ford Quality Reman.