Gloves

Rate this topic

dieseldoc

You know your in some serious trouble when the glove is actually cut or torn. The gloves are nice for retaining all the parts when you smash your hand.

OMG!!! I hope there aren't any that wear jewelry at this work?!?!?!

Something I earned a long time ago (damned near the "hard" way, thank you) is that jewelry and mechanical repair do not play well together.... There's still a hint of a mark where my wedding ring became a conductor one day and to top it of, when I jerked my hand back, the edge of the ring snagged on something immovable.....

I haven't worn jewelry of any kind for well over 20 years.... My wife will attest to the fact that I am married... very, very married.......

Watch bands and bracelets share similar attributes...

Body piercings?.... No longer my decision to make.... but when it was.... earrings were OK as long as you looked good in a dress. If they look like earrings but but somehow got misplaced in the shuffle.... I can only plead that I am of a generation removed form the current one... I'm not used to these forms of self-mutilation (oopps, I mmeant self-EXPRESSION.... no... really, I did)... and, in an unguarded moment, I may make inappropriate comments on perhaps their size, shape, placement or the fact the do more to make someone look like a pansy-ass than a he-man. But that would be the red-neck coming out in me....

As always, YMMV

In my shop all of the guys are using the gloves, some of the chemicals we use and the Calibration fluids cause some serious drying out of the skin, hurts when it starts cracking. But on the other hand the guys putting fuel system components together use both gloves and masks, You would think its a friggin ER how careful and clean they are. But makes a difference on the other end when you guys get the pumps and injectors from us. You know that they are done right.

Ive tried some laytex gloves, usually after i mangle a finger, but my hands seem sweat alot and I get that effect like staying in the tub too long and the skin starts to peel. The mechanics type gloves dye my hands what ever color they are. Anyone else had these problems?

Im 27 and have been damaging my hands since I started building model cars when I was little

I wear nitrile gloves when repacking bearings and washing in parts washes (sometimes) I wear my kevlar knucked gloves when wreckless force is needed. I bleed when I need to and have learned to bust my knuckles as little as I can.

I wear my wedding ring everyday 24/7 but, It's tattoo'd to my finger and hurt like hell when I got it. I also wear a necklace 24/7 small silver hammer. (Thor's Hammer) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif

I wear nitrile gloves ever since I squashed my fingers a couple of years ago, to keep them clean enough to heal. The reason was I noticed after wearing them I didn't catch the usual colds every year. I figured since I wasn't touching the inside of every vehicle, where every customer sneezes, coughs, picks his nose then touches the steering wheel when they're sick. I went for 2 years without a cold, the only change was the gloves.

Ive tried some laytex gloves, usually after i mangle a finger, but my hands seem sweat alot and I get that effect like staying in the tub too long and the skin starts to peel. The mechanics type gloves dye my hands what ever color they are. Anyone else had these problems?

Im 27 and have been damaging my hands since I started building model cars when I was little

I had that problem with the peeling skin, for during the first summer that I was a "clean hand tech". I think my body adapted and I don't have that problem anymore.

Something to consider.... it could be the hand cleaner you use that is one of your worst enemies.... Fast Orange will split my knuckles wide open in less than a week.

I'm not a nitrile glove guy.... I'll take my carcinogens straight up, please...

I wear nitrile gloves as well. The ones the shop buys are from Atlas and are pretty flimsy. Some jobs I go through several sets. I used to be tough and would have my hands in contact with just about anything going. After many years of this, I finally got smart. One thing that got my attention was the statement made at Ford school by the instuctor. He said "gasoline gets absorbed directly into your body through the skin and will cause immediate and irreversible liver and kidney damage." If that isn't enough, the warning on motor oil states that "long term contact with used motor oil has been shown to cause skin cancer in lab rats." Also, I always wondered why my hands felt "funny" after washing them in parts cleaner. It felt as if the hair on them was standing straight up as if there was static electricity in them. This lasted several hours afterwards. To each his own, as long as you are aware of the dangers involved. I do not like wearing gloves, but prefer wearing them to the alternatives. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

Bruno... with the things that I do intentionally to my liver, I'm not sure avoiding a few petroleum products is going to turn me into a picture of fitness...

While some consider their bodies temples, mine has, unfortunately turned into a "tavern"...

On the serious side, I think that it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.... already have tinitis so the ear plugs wont help... For the rest of it, what can I say... I insist on things like CSA approved footwear and eye protection for everyone (pisses me off to no end when a service writer parades into the shop in sandals)... the rest I warn and leave the guys to it.

Quote:
(pisses me off to no end when a service writer parades into the shop in sandals)

Wait a second....

Jim of the great north has people wearing sandles(not muck-lucks)(might be spelled muk-luks) in the shop whats wrong with this picture???? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Mukluks are for pussies /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif It don't hardly ever get much below -30 or -40C where I live. Hardly worth the effort to do up your windbreaker....

I wear nitrile gloves as well. The ones the shop buys are from Atlas and are pretty flimsy. Some jobs I go through several sets. I used to be tough and would have my hands in contact with just about anything going. After many years of this, I finally got smart. One thing that got my attention was the statement made at Ford school by the instuctor. He said "gasoline gets absorbed directly into your body through the skin and will cause immediate and irreversible liver and kidney damage." If that isn't enough, the warning on motor oil states that "long term contact with used motor oil has been shown to cause skin cancer in lab rats." Also, I always wondered why my hands felt "funny" after washing them in parts cleaner. It felt as if the hair on them was standing straight up as if there was static electricity in them. This lasted several hours afterwards. To each his own, as long as you are aware of the dangers involved. I do not like wearing gloves, but prefer wearing them to the alternatives. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

We are just one bigh sponge

• 2 weeks later...

I use Safegrip latex for my protection, I am on my laptop, or writing way to often to be a tough guy. I also am constantly eating while I work, so it is slightly more appealing when the bread does not have grease prints on it. The only place that gets dirty is the space between my shirt sleeve and the top of my glove. My hands sweat in them, oh well, my skin and finger nails also do not contain perma-dirt. Wives dont like dirty fingers for some health reasons??? I don't completely buy the chemical protection or abrasion part. It keeps the diesel smell off, which seems to linger for quite a while. Unless you grow and raise your own food, your parents never let the doctor inject you with their poisons, skin contact with this work stuff is least of your problems. We are supplied with our gloves, wwe also have black nitrile gloves but I hate them because they have a texture that when you wipe your hands with a rag they feel gritty. I am way too anal retentive to ignore it while working so I use the blue gloves.

• 2 weeks later...

I always use latex gloves when I work. Like someone before me said, it makes "peeling" dirt and grime off easy. I used to have the problem with excessivly sweaty hands but I guess my hands got used to it because it isnt too much of a problem anymore except during very hot days. But for those days I just take them off and dry my hands often and put new ones on. I don't worry about it because the shop provides them free of charge. To me it's very simple, I make my living with my hands, so I will go out of my way to take care of them. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whattodo.gif