baked Duratec

Rate this topic

You gotta love when people ignore the warning signs. '07 Fusion towed in today no start. Long story short they ran off the road and busted the radiator, got back on the road and continued to drive until she no-go-no-more.

I pulled the oil cap (it took a large pair of channel locks to do this) and it looked like one of them melted stand pipes in a 6.0l oil filter housing when the oil cooler really fails. Just for shits and giggles I checked for codes. I then looked at freeze frame data for the ect code it set......

ECT temp - 274 degrees F

CATTEMP1 - 1282 degrees F

The quote I have put together for thier insurance company so far is just above $8000. This includes some minor chassis damage. But it could have been a lot cheaper and much quicker turn around if the jack ass driving would have never got back on the road or pulled over when the coolant gage was screaming in his face.

I don't mean to seem negative, but I'm sure there will be some big fight about how it's not there fault the thing blew up. Like its Ford's fault or something.

It just seems like that is how it works.

ECT 274f /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif

Personally I dont think stupididty should be covered bye warranty or insurance Any normal person knows that cars tell you when something is wrong and that you should know to stop the car

FWIW... we have a used Expedition customer that is jerked at us... He doesn't understand that you can't drive from Vernon, BC to Slave lake in 4WD because you "think" you might hit some ice....

By and large, people feel that stupid is a warrantble concern... I mean, if they really wanted people to know about their cars, don't you think they could at least put an owners guide in the glove compartment? (you should be able to see the sarcasm dripping off this one).

FWIW... we have a used Expedition customer that is jerked at us... He doesn't understand that you can't drive from Vernon, BC to Slave lake in 4WD because you "think" you might hit some ice....

By and large, people feel that stupid is a warrantble concern... I mean, if they really wanted people to know about their cars, don't you think they could at least put an owners guide in the glove compartment? (you should be able to see the sarcasm dripping off this one).

Canadian vehicles don't get owner's manuals?

James... yes, Canajun vehicles get owners manuals... Sadly, just like 'Muricans, nobody reads the damned things. We usually refer to them as the "worlds most expensive unread book..".

Just before our usual winter cold snap ( each year we have at least one week where the temperature never ventures above -30 and can sometimes hit -50F... and NO, I'm not adding in the windchill), an apprentice did a heater core/thermostat/coolant flush on an aging Taurus. When the cold snap hit, the car came in on the hook... Customer states "the heater started blowing cold air... then some lights came on in the cluster... then a cloud of "smoke" came from under the hood... and then the car stopped running".

What I found... I managed to draw a couple of pints of coolant from the rad petcock. It was good for about -25C - apprentice swears he checked coolant strength one last time after the car was driven. I cannot judge but I have something that tells me we f*cked up.

But.. the crux of the deal - no heat didn't phase the customer - warning lights didn't do a thing - and although there was a cloud of "smoke", the car was still running. And, for most civilians, this means that we can still drive it... right?

This is todays mentality... and it scares me that these people are allowed to vote.... and drive.

Ha-ha. On the coldest day of the year, the blower motor went out in my wife's car. it didn't stop working, it just made this TERRIBLE loud screeching noise. Then all of a sudden the noise stops. "Well it stopped making the noise. I guess I can drive the kids to my sister's house tonight. " (45 minutes away)Im like, "Uh... do you think something might be wrong with your car? " But all she understands is that the noise is not there. Like it miraculously fixed itself. I mean it was the coldest day of the year, but you guys up in Canada would probably still be driving around with your windows cracked open to get some fresh air. This is the typical setting for disaster. Either a blower motor starting on fire or being far from home with no heat, but the warning signs were there. People always think, "Thats just a light on my dash. The car still runs. It will be OK. Thats just antifreeze dripping on the ground, but the car still runs OK. " Then disaster strikes anfd its like there were no warning signs at all.

Our dealer principal also owns the Honda store next door. One of the techs there just finished putting a new engine in a 2007 Civic with about 8000km on it. Seems the customer hit a porcupine, taking out the rad, but kept driving till she seized. Insurance claim of almost $10,000. I think the level of common sense in the population is steadily decreasing. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Quote:
I think the level of common sense in the population is steadily decreasing.

I know mine is because I am still buying fuel for my v8 explorer and driving all over creation. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well this one is all fixed and back on the road. They got out pretty cheap because they put a bone yard motor in it. They now can add 9000 miles to their odometer. That would make me happy if I owned it.... yeah right. But hey that's the price for ignorance. This little bastard will scoot. I wonder what the MKZ will due with the bigger motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a focus hanging on my hoist this week. Lady ran something over, tore the bottom of the oil pan off, and drove the car until it stopped.

Insurance adjuster shows up. Wants to know how I know the engine is seized. Pulled my 3 foot breaker bar out of my toolbox and handed it to the insurance adjuster. Told him I had it on the end of the crank, and was hanging on it. I weigh 275lbs. It would not move.

He then told me we should pull the motor, and then pull the head off and inspect to see if they could get away with just slamming a shortblock in it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

It's sitting outside now.

He then told me we should pull the motor, and then pull the head off and inspect to see if they could get away with just slamming a shortblock in it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

It's sitting outside now.

This is something I've touched on many times, Aaron... "Whose repair is it anyway?".

Every time we open a hood..... every time we put a truck on the hoist... we lay our reputations on the line. We should, at all costs, avoid doing those things that leave us feeling uncomfortable... Allowing ourselves to be cowed by paper shufflers or customers is counter-productive. "I did what I was told... EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS RIGHT" isn't much of a defense.

Now, I realize that there are many that are fearful to be this assertive... especially those in "right to work states" (correct me here if I'm wrong, guys) where workers have no protective labour laws... But if we design our careers, skill sets and talents to appear impeccable, we come to realize that we have some amount of "clout".

I've gone over some of the ways to gain this "clout" in the past.. most centre around "product knowledge"...

Kudos to you and parking the offending vehicle outside. If the insurance adjuster is hell bent on putting in a short block... let HIM put HIS rep on the line... He's trying to look good for those that pay his wage (the insurer)... You need to look good for the person paying your wage (the insured)...

Geez.... this is starting to sound like a John Grisham novel.... And if you don't know who he is... you need to read more. That's why God created the "throne room".

Well guys, I got my first '06 Focus that came in on the hook today by a woman who filled up with diesel. It took her 'till she arrived home to realize her error. My call on this, is to drain and clean the tank, replace the pump and filter. FILL with fresh gasoline and run the engine. I'm holding off on replacing the injectors until I see this thing run. Am I on the right track?

Go with that for starters, you may have to replace the cat. on it as well. I kinda had the same situation back awhile ago on a 01 Sable, a good flushing was all it took to clean it out but the cat failed shortly afterwards.

If the offending insurance(tight ass) adjuster comes out and suggests a short block, we all have to have the bright red( NO WARRANTY )stamp ready to go!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Sitting outside good for you!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Let it sit until they want to put a drop in, in...

You may want to include the customer in on the fact that the insurance company wants to short change them for the policy that they have purchased. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boxing.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Diesel is a lubricant, ULSD is not, They have removed the sulphur to the point that diesel is now really dry and actually scrubs down everything it comes in contact with. The HPCR systems are having a lot of problems with this fuel. It's a good thing that they have came out with the lubricity additives for the systems it will save you that 3000-5000 to replace injectors and pumps that are being killed by this newer fuel. I sell a ton of these additives especially when we get one in on the hook.