6.0 recall ????

Rate this topic

Okay, I'll play...

-engine harness?

-fuel injector harness?

-EBP sensor?

-EGR valve?

There are so many problem areas it's hard to choose just one! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif But seriously, I hear about most recalls the same place our customers do, on the NEWS!

• 4 weeks later...

I heard today that there is a recall coming for the 6.0L most likely at or around the the end of this month (April) and that Ford is waiting to finish building up parts stocks to provide ample supply for all dealers. The only detail I got was that it is supposed to be able to be completed in less than one day. This apparently come from a dealer/managers meeting of some sort. My source and I will be pushing for more details. Coincidentally, our FSE was at my dealer today so I asked him about it. His lips sealed up tighter than a frog's ass! He then tried to play it down so I just let it go. Figures. We will probably have to hear about it on the evening news like everyone else. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

If the part about this taking less than one day is true then that would probably rule out head gaskets... but then again that would be based on Ford's labor times.

The 6.0 information update (FordStar) mentioned there is going to be some program in the very near future that will address concerns by model year. Could be updated parts or another updated calibration. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The way I understand it isn't going to be a recall. If the vehicle exhibits the symptoms of a several different concerns then it will be taken care of but there is no intention of a full-out recall unless the government forces Ford to do so. Whatever it is they are doing there are VERY FEW people at Ford that will actually talk in specific terms about since there are "Focus groups" all over the country working to determine exactly what all needs to be addressed. Hell our PSD tech is in a focus group that meets at the Indy plant every other week and even he want tell me exactly what they are discussing because he is afraid it will get him booted from the group. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Quote:
Hell our PSD tech is in a focus group that meets at the Indy plant every other week and even he want tell me exactly what they are discussing because he is afraid it will get him booted from the group.
And you haven't invited him to join us here? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif We certainly would not ask him to share any secrets /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif but he sounds like a tech that would fit in here.

Anyway...

Dale, that's a different take on the situation and it actually sounds very logical because it seems that different production runs have different issues. I see evidence if this in the service bay. If what you suggest is true it would likely be more effective than a blanket repair intended to fix all problems and would definitely be much more cost effective for Ford.

• 2 weeks later...

swervice manager told me today he heard talk of multi programs comming on the 6.0 03 to update them to 04 standers i.e. harness ...egr...calibrations and so on ...hear we go

yeah here we go all right we are backed so far up right now with diesel repairs as well as the "great torqueshift" recall let alone now diesel recalls coming we have so many peed off customers it is not funny i can not believe that at the meeting with ford in Edmonton Alberta that they were un aware of an egr cooler issues well it is a regular repair at our dealership me and the other tech average atleast 6 per week on top of all other repairs you know there will probably be a head gasket recall and hopefully the labour times are better /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif anyways i hope the new engine will be better don't think it could get any worse

i mentioned the rumors of a huge recall to my boss. he then called someone he knows in Ford and added to the rumors. my boss told me things like injectors, head gaskets, wiring harness may all be on the recall block. he didnt get much more info but im guessing these will depend on the year. the rumor is the price tag will be in the billion dollar range. i expect to see something in writing around the summer or near the end of summer

So we have been kicking around the rumors about recall(s) coming for the 6.0L but I personally have not heard anything official from anyone at Ford... that is, until now. My zone rep was at my dealer last week for a Pizza lunch for us "mechanics" because we did well on that recent tire/brakes/battery sales contest they always run. By the way I did not get any ca$h because it's hard to sell batteries brakes and tires when all you do is freakin transmissions and engines!!!

Any way, he ended the meeting with some vague news that there is indeed a bunch of recalls/programs coming at us for the 6.0L's

and

I

suddenly

got

a

sinking

feeling

and literally felt sick to my stomach /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

And that is why the diesel techs were "stroked" with the $50 certificate before it is announced. Our rep was in today and said the same thing about a recall soon. Hold on to your bootstraps boys and girls!!

If you are certified for diesel you should have recieved a $50 certificate just recently. Mine showed up at the dealership this last week, and the SM handed them out.

So we have been kicking around the rumors about recall(s) coming for the 6.0L but I personally have not heard anything official from anyone at Ford... that is, until now. My zone rep was at my dealer last week for a Pizza lunch for us "mechanics" because we did well on that recent tire/brakes/battery sales contest they always run. By the way I did not get any ca$h because it's hard to sell batteries brakes and tires when all you do is freakin transmissions and engines!!!

Any way, he ended the meeting with some vague news that there is indeed a bunch of recalls/programs coming at us for the 6.0L's

and

I

suddenly

got

a

sinking

feeling

and literally felt sick to my stomach /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

yeah i got the same story recently at my ultimate master regionals. was talking with all the FSE's and a couple of higher up Ford people. they wouldnt get specific but i think the bulk of the recall will be like alot of them have been in the past. owner notification programs where Ford will fix it only if you have any of the problems + extended warranty on the parts involved in the recall. if Ford has to fix every single 6.0L out there it will kill them by the time the 2007's come out

The 6.0 information update (FordStar) mentioned there is going to be some program in the very near future that will address concerns by model year. Could be updated parts or another updated calibration. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Newest calibration coming up will address the EGR valve problem

Do they have a flash that will fix a broken EGR cooler? I'D PAY for that one! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/readthis.gif

• 4 weeks later...

The Bomb is about to drop! My Ford Rep was in today (June 6) and had a little talk with me. Apparently Ford approved the final stages of planning and procedures for a roll out of what I think are two programs that will be announced at the end of this week or early next week, June 10th to 13th time frame. There is supposed to be a meeting at my dealership towards the end of the week with more details.

The news media is supposed to catch wind this weekend. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Talk about tight lipped! Here is what I know:

• 2003 and 2005 F-Super Duties, Excursions and Econoline with the 6.0L will be called for a RE-FLASH with the possibility of additional work.
  • 2004 F-Series, Excursions and Econoline is the big one and it is an actual recall involving NHTSA. This one will probably involve harnesses, sensors and calibrations. I was warned it could involve ANYTHING on a list that would require attention. That part scares me!

Please remember that this is in no way an official report and I could be completely freakin wrong! But I don't think so. The Rep looked very worried! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

holy crap here we go more diesel work for me ya !!!! not that i dont have enough now

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

NHTSA Action Number: PE04070 NHTSA

Recall Campaign Number: N/A

Make: FORD Model: F350

Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Year: 2004

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:DIESEL

Date Investigation Opened: October 7, 2004

Date Investigation Closed: February 15, 2005

Summary:

TWENTY FIVE OF THE ODI FAILURE REPORTS ARE DUPLICATIVE OF FORD COMPLAINTS. TWENTY ODI REPORTS DO NOT CONTAIN A VIN (AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE DUPLICATIVE OF FORD REPORTS). THE 14 ALLEGED CRASHES AND 2 ALLEGED INJURIES WERE ALL MINOR. SUBMITTED DURING PRELIMINARY EVALUATION (PE) 04-070, FORD'S RESPONSE TO ODI'S INFORMATION REQUEST (IR) LETTER CONTAINED ABOUT 5,000 CONSUMER REPORTS (MORS) AND 8,700 FIELD REPORTS (CQIS). FORD REVIEWED THE COMPLAINTS AND CATEGORIZED THEM. THE MANUFACTURER REPORTS SHOWN ABOVE REPRESENT A COUNT OF UNIQUE VEHICLES THAT FORD CATEGORIZED AS ALLEGEDLY STALLING DUE TO A SUBJECT ENGINE COMPONENT ('A' CATEGORY, SEE FORD'S IR RESPONSE LETTER FOR FURTHER DETAIL); SOME OF THESE VEHICLES RECEIVED MULTIPLE REPORTS. ODI HAS NOT YET CONFIRMED FORD'S CATEGORIZATION OF THESE REPORTS, NOR HAS ODI CONFIRMED FORD'S CATEGORIZATION OF THE REMAINING REPORTS (WHICH FORD STATES DO NOT PERTAIN TO THE ALLEGED DEFECT). FORD SUBMITTED NEARLY 19,000 WARRANTY CLAIMS, MANY OF WHICH INVOLVED CLAIMS FOR A TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN (TSB 04-13-08) AND FIELD SERVICE ACTION (FSA 03B05) WHICH FORD IDENTIFIED AS POTENTIAL REMEDIES FOR STALLING COMPLAINTS. ODI HAS NOT CONFIRMED THAT EITHER OF THESE ARE A REMEDY FOR ENGINE STALLING COMPLAINTS. SEVERAL OTHER DEALER COMMUNICATIONS RELATED TO ENGINE STALL WERE ALSO SUBMITTED AS WELL AS OVER 50 PRODUCT MODIFICATIONS, 15 OF WHICH INVOLVE REVISIONS TO THE SOFTWARE FOR THE ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROL UNIT. FURTHER INVESTIGATION IS REQUIRED AND ODI IS UPGRADING PE04-070 TO AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS (EA). DURING THE EA, ODI WILL ESTABLISH AND UPDATE MANUFACTURER FAILURE REPORT COUNTS, FURTHER INVESTIGATE THE FREQUENCY AND TREND OF STALLING COMPLAINTS, AND DETERMINE THE SCOPE AND SAFETY IMPLICATION OF STALLING EVENTS. ODI WILL ALSO INVESTIGATE FORD'S REMEDIES, THEIR EFFECTIVENESS, AND WHETHER FURTHER ACTION IS REQUIRED.

I would keep checking FMCDealer for service announcements and Powerstroke Central on PTS. If Ford puts out anything about the 6.0L for techs to know, it should show up there first.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

hmm interesting. i kinda figured harness's on 03 and 04. EBP sensors on everything /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif . im not surprised that Ford is trying another calibration update, thats the cheepest bandaid. was headgaskets or egr coolers talked about? i was figuring head gaskets on 04's. in our shop we see 95% of the headgasket jobs being done on 04's. EGR valves? only true fix for that is making them go away. as long as the exhaust gases are cooled before the valve we will continue to see the valves stiking due to the carbon build up. anyways thanks for the heads up.