6.0 recall ????

Rate this topic

It's Here /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealer Principals, Sales Managers, Service Managers and Parts Managers

Subject: 6.0L Repair Actions

6.0L REPAIR ACTIONS

Today, we will announce the first in a series of 6.0L diesel repair actions. These actions will begin with the announcement of two Field Service Actions that will be posted to FMCDealer.com later this afternoon.

Safety Recall 05S34: 180,000 2004 MY Super Duty, Excursion and E-Series vehicles will require an inspection and repair or replacement of the Fuel Injection Control Module wiring harness. Some of these vehicles will also need to have a connector replaced at the Injector Control Pressure (ICP) sensor.

Customer Satisfaction Program 05B29: 73,000 of the 180,000 2004 MY Super Duty and Excursion vehicles will require that the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) duct be replaced.

CUSTOMER LETTERS COMBINED WITH OTHER FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS

For customer convenience, vehicle owners affected by these two repairs will receive one letter from Ford.

FCSD 6.0L CUSTOMER SUPPORT

All of us at Ford want to do our best to help you take care of these very valuable customers. Super Duty is critical to our mutual profitability and truck leadership. We have had issues but we continue to outsell all other competitors and I am confident that this and the other repair actions that we will announce shortly will keep these customers loyal to our products.

Along with additional Diesel Service Engineers and 6.0L Hotline Support, we will provide the following with the launch of these 6.0L Field Service Actions:

When needed, rental reimbursement up to $50 per day

Special FRCS program that will allow dealers to supply F-Series trucks as rental vehicles.

Customer handling meetings conducted by FCSD to support your repair and satisfaction actions.

Joint FCSD and dealer fleet contacts to prioritize their repair needs.

We will continue the .3 hr post repair road test to validate repair effectiveness of these repairs.

6.0L DEALER ACTIONS

Immediately communicate your plans to your employees on how to handle 6.0L FSA customers.

Complete any open 6.0L FSAs when your customers return for these repairs including 04B24 Planetary Gear repair.

Work with your FCSD Region on how to handle customers with additional concerns.

Utilize all available FCSD technical resource and contact the Technical Hotline on difficult repairs.

We can fix the majority of issues if you require your service department to contact the hotline on 6.0L issues.

Thank you for your continued support. We will communicate the next phases of the repair strategy in the future. Please contact your FCSD Regional Field representative if you need additional 6.0L information.

Cisco Codina

President, Ford Customer Service Division

This just plain old sucks. Funny thing is I am currently replacing the harness in an 04 550. One the local truck dealer said they did, but DID NOT!! This truck has been to 5 different dealers between CT & FL. and no one was able to fix it or verify it, LAZY F*@KS, ALL OF THEM !

And to think some prick got paid to lie, and some clown at another local dealer said "I know something is wrong with it, but I don't know what"

Needless to say I have halted the install, i'll be damned if I replace this one again, because this harness may still have issues.

7 minutes till the hotline opens. God I hate my job!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

What a disturbing display of smileys. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif I feel your pain.

I want to see the new harnesses to see if they are the same modified ones that I have been installing lately. They have improved them at the FICM connectors and added some convolute tubing near some of the manifold bolts. One thing I don't understand is that "they" added another stud strap to the harness but there is no mention of adding a new manifold bolt with the stud to make use of the new clip. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif You members from R&D might want to pass that along! I now order a manifold bolt w/stud with every harness. If you decide to do so, you will easily figure out where to use it.

Also, have any of you noticed the raised ring on all of the manifold bolts? You know, the ones that actually cut through the harness? Smooth them down with a 3M Roloc disk. Another thing that has made my repairs successful in the past is adopting the attitude that you are not REPLACING a harness - you are INSTALLING it!!! Get your parts department to get you an assortment of convoluted tubing (the black plastic tubing on harnesses) and keep it handy so that you can cut off a piece here and there and apply it where YOU think a little extra protection from chafing might be needed. Also, this involves routing and fitting the harness away from potential hazards like excessive crushing and bolts.

That is the difference between an ordinary mechanic and a trained professional that cares. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Now it seems everyone is willing to "talk" a little more about what the hell is happening. More than likely this is not 100% accurate but I will pass it along here and see if anyone else is hearing the same. Just talked with a few people I know between Ford, Blue Diamond and Navistar and it seems as though these are the first 2 of possible 12-14 various programs that are on the way with almost all of them being Customer Satisfaction Programs. Neither EGR or Head Gasket will be confirmed nor denied I just get a "It will all be annouced soon" answer. Anyone else heard any more?

Yeah Dale, that's interesting in and of itself. I can't wait to hear some more good news. I'm still waiting for this dealer meeting to happen but somehow I think they might just drop this bomb and run and hide for a while.

What DOES surprise me is that what few leaks that have made it out onto the other forums and web sites have yet to attract much attention. You would think that everyone would be all over this! I posted the "plain facts" on our main page and don't see any point in posting the actual recalls. Ford would likely frown on posting their Copyrighted material. I am amazed at what some people get away with. I can't wait to see the mis-information that starts to circulate.

Posting a link to the Diesel Technician Society main page for this info on the recalls would be a good thing to do to spread the right information and show the problems with the harnesses. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif Yes, I am shameless!

It seems to me that posting this information to the public before it is officially announced only hurts us because we are not quite ready to help these people but I guess the Dudly-do-gooders of the internet mean well. No offense webmaster! at least you don't run vins on OASIS and then have to hear all the negative comments about the stealer and padlocking the diag connector so the dealer hacks dont f-up their trucks. Personally, I think that unless a customers truck is having problems these people should wait for their recall letters and make an appointment instead of getting someone to run their vin number and rushing the dealers. At least these recalls look easy to perform and it will get the trucks in the bays for some upsell. I hope!

I agree with you guys 100 percent. But, on a localized note, the main problem I have (in my bay) are 6.0's that have been thoroughly jacked-up by other "establishments", then sent to me to somehow "fix". One 450, for example, has the motorcraft long-block (most of the ones I've rr'ed have been complete new production units)and the re-assembly quality has been very poor. OASIS records sometimes do not give a fully declarative narrative of what the initial failure was, so I'm left to my own devices (which is to say, diagnostic wizard, PC/ED, workshop, hotline, anger, sweat, cursing, and frustration). In the midst of all this wasted time, however, a 7.3 comes in with a CMP failure! It was like dancing in a field of wildflowers with the sun in my hair:) Oh God, I'm delerious........... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

Heads up fellas!

I have it from an excellent source that the next recall is coming soon, July or as parts are available. This is going to be an emissions recall requiring parts... any guesses?

EBP sensors! Let us hope that I am right because that would be an easy one. Now there was a lot of talk about re-flashes coming but none of these recalls included one as of yet. I wonder if a re-flash will go with the EBP?

Side note - do you think that showing these recalls with pictures and describing the procedures like I did with the transmission recalls be good for the non-member site visitors? I did get some good feedback from readers on them! Does anyone have any words of advice for owners or technicians performing the recalls that I could add to the article?

For instance: I recommend that you ask your parts department to stock replacement o-rings (3C3Z-6766-BA) for the breather to intake tube connector. The rubber o-ring swells and sticks causing it to no longer fit or seal. This is something you have to disconnect to perform the 05S34 recall.

Keith were do you get your information from so freakin quick? I think you got it right because my rep told me the same thing today EBP SENSORS and a REFLASH /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif coming to a dealer near you!

did my first recall bandaid job yesterday and more are starting to roll in. ive found using a few short cuts ive always used that the job isnt too bad but its still IMO just a bandaid. i dont pull the air cleaner like it says to unless it has the intercoller tube replacement recall, when i pull the coolant bottle i take 2 hose pinching pliers and pinch off the 2 hoses at the top of the bottle before removing the hoses then put vacuum caps on the bottle to keep from spilling coolant. once thats done just move the coolant bottle off to the side while leaving the lower hose on the bottle connected. then i pull the rubber intake hose and the hard plastic hose at the turbo off and set off to applying the bandaid /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Heads up fellas!

I have it from an excellent source that the next recall is coming soon, July or as parts are available. This is going to be an emissions recall requiring parts... any guesses?

EBP sensors! Let us hope that I am right because that would be an easy one. Now there was a lot of talk about re-flashes coming but none of these recalls included one as of yet. I wonder if a re-flash will go with the EBP?

Side note - do you think that showing these recalls with pictures and describing the procedures like I did with the transmission recalls be good for the non-member site visitors? I did get some good feedback from readers on them! Does anyone have any words of advice for owners or technicians performing the recalls that I could add to the article?

For instance: I recommend that you ask your parts department to stock replacement o-rings (3C3Z-6766-BA) for the breather to intake tube connector. The rubber o-ring swells and sticks causing it to no longer fit or seal. This is something you have to disconnect to perform the 05S34 recall.

well now the million dollar question is, will they be the same EBP's we have been already installing the last few months or are they getting updated again? im not surprised about another reflash. i had expected that when i first heard about the many 6.0L recalls that were coming. i suspect Ford wants the latest flash in everyones 6.0L, that flash just came out not too long ago and has some EGR strategy improvements.

I've asked parts to kindly begin to stock the breather o-ring, to which came to reply, "no". I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, as they do not even carry radiator/degas bottle caps.

The recall traffic has slowed this week, with the exception of non-related cruise-control switches and butyl pads. Monday, the carrier is coming to pickup my last in a long line of 6.0 cores. BTW, my old lift died with the last install. And the only lift in the shop heavy enough for SD work broke a cable while lifting an Escape, so no TQ SHFT reworks for awhile, either. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

have a curiuos question ..had a 6.0 build date of 3-04-04 and has the ficm recall on ..went to do the recall and the kit does does not work ..there is to much wrape around harness and has multi bolt done clips ..anyways removed all of that to do the recall...had to remove a lot of the harness wrap to make the tee work ...anyways its done ....has anyone else seen this

Yes, I have. This indicates that the harness has been replaced and done so in the last 2 or 3 months. I have also come across another harness that had the plastic tee in it but no extra tubing or excess tape. It was a factory harness from late 04. I guess they have been slowly making modifications tho the harnesses.

Am I the only one that is finding all of the smaller pieces have no apparent use?