'03 no-start ICP only up to 180

Rate this topic

I got an '03 F-350 just came in on the hook no-start. Unit has 212,429 kms. on the clock. The codes I got are P0401, P0404, P2290, P2291, P2614, P2617 and P2623 in that exact order. Funny thing is, it looks like someone has already replaced the EGR valve just recently. The P2614 & P2617 I'm assuming are just due to the engine not firing. Now P2623 IPR open is something I've never seen on a 6.0L before. The ICP sensor looks pretty dry. While monitoring PIDs ICP only climbed up to 180. I managed to start it with brake clean, and let it run up to engine operating temperature. Just for shits and giggles I took it for a run up and down the street. Boy did this thing ever have the LOUDEST turbo fart or flutter that I've ever heard on a 6.0L, also consistent with plumes of black smoke puffing out the pipe. I'm used to air testing '05 and up models for ICP issues. This is the first '03/'04 I've had to deal with a low ICP no-start. Being retail, I like to spend the customer's money WISELY. Any ideas?

I should mention that it won't run a KOER test because it flags a hard P1408. Fails test #1 of the air management test. I know it's not uncommon for repeat EGR valve failure. Now, it seems to start quite fine. I guess I'll try again in the morning after the engine has cooled down.

I had one a while back with the icp wires melted together that was setting that ipr code from a oil leak out of the sensor.Has the truck had a koeo on demand to relearn the egr? vgtlrn pid show ok? Sounds like a nice one.

In my experience, P2623 has always been a bad IPR... You must have a known good one lying around somewhere... as for air testing, there are 2 ways to do it. There is a port on the back of the pump cover that you can apply air to... PITA if you ask me. I like to apply air to the ports on the oil rails personally, as just about every early build I've ever had ICP issues with needed the pump dead-headed eventually to diagnose, so you'll probably be pulling the valve covers anyway.

As for the turbo fart and smoke, you might just need a VGT relearn.

One thing I have noticed on these early 03's is the pump cover will rub on the output tube of the pump and cause serious problems. A replacement cover will have a recess cut out in it to prevent this, it will also come with an IPR valve and it is cheap money, under 150 bucks American.

Something to think about especially if you are going to replace the IPR valve, it's 3x that amount by itself.

Funny you should say that Alex, because after I managed to get it started and up to operating temperature, I couldn't get it to NOT restart. In so doing, during several attempts to recreate the no-start, I did notice IPR duty cycle ramp up to 59% and ran like a bag of shit, like it was misfiring. When going WOT, this thing would puff out so much black smoke you could blind the whole city in miles. Anyhoo, I'm not interested in raping this guy for every part in the book. Now that you mention it though, the wire going to the IPR didn't look like it was in the greatest shape. A 12B637 harness prices out at only $238! At that price, I would at least like to add that to the list. I'm just waiting until the morning to see if this thing will not start.