4.4L Spy Pics and Rumors

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

So I am searching for info on the "new engines" that we have heard about here and there and I have come across dome stuff. I put up the pics I thought were interesting... there is more out there. Try leftlannenews.com, blueovalnews.com and so on. I think it's too early to add new categories for these engines yet. No? Funny thing is the info display lists the Super Duty as one of the vehicles this engine is planned to be fitted with. That would make an interesting option if it offers better fuel economy otherwise it does not make sense if the 6.7L is official and coming as rumored. Feel free to post more stuff as you find it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look at the poster in the foreground....looks like Ford is planning on SCR to meet 2010 and later emissions regs. I hope they make the filler neck on the urea tank large enough, so I can pee in the tank on long hauls!

Oh goody! In a little more than a year I can count on another spin to win program and maybe another cheap Chinese made leather jacket, hell maybe 2 of 'em if the 6.7L is actually happening. I can't wait!!!!!!!

What am I saying! I can feel my ass hurting already! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Do my eyes deceive me, but looking more closely at the picture, it seems like the exhaust exits on the INBOARD side (between the "VEE"), and then out the back of the engine to where the turbos seem to be located on the outboard side of the cylinder heads? That's a weird setup if you ask me.

Do my eyes deceive me, but looking more closely at the picture, it seems like the exhaust exits on the INBOARD side (between the "VEE"), and then out the back of the engine to where the turbos seem to be located on the outboard side of the cylinder heads? That's a weird setup if you ask me.

It wouldn't surprise me to see it like that.

Look up the next Isuzu dmax. It has NO manifolds, the exhaust exits into the Vee and the heads appear to have the intake through the valve covers similar to the navistar inline 6.

The turbo(s) on that dmax are in the vee, supposedly it's less plumbing to get the exhaust to the turbo(s).

Here's a link http://www.sae.org/automag/technewsletter/080108Tech/01.htm

Wow! That engine looks very clean and moving the exhaust ports to the other side and directly into the turbo in the engine valley really does eliminate a lot of that God awful piping we currently have to deal with. Imagine if the new Scorpion diesel implements this design... ooooooh! I'm getting chills thinkin about it!!! Wishful thinking. I know. Down boy! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif

Moving the exhaust manifolds to the inner portion of the vee helps retain some of the heat energy in the exhaust, where it can be utilized by the turbo, rather than wasted as radiant heat. It still doesn't seem like a lot of fun, mind you.....

Wow! That engine looks very clean and moving the exhaust ports to the other side and directly into the turbo in the engine valley really does eliminate a lot of that God awful piping we currently have to deal with. Imagine if the new Scorpion diesel implements this design... ooooooh! I'm getting chills thinkin about it!!! Wishful thinking. I know. Down boy! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif

Ya, but ford engineers would probably stick an injection pump inside the intake thinkin it would cool better. Then it would leak and run away. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I was at school last week and was told the new engine is designed and buily by FORD and based off of the 4.5 and 6.0 engines and the instructor said "it should be better" One can only hope!

Didn't they say that about the 6.4L? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

What? That this engine was based on the 6.0L or that it would be better? I was under the impression that this *4.4L* engine was a Land Rover engine or design... since Ford owns Land Rover then I guess that statement is technically true... and who thinks that the 6.4L PSD is not better then the 6.0L? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif It has been a vastly more reliable and trouble free engine than the 6.0L was less than two years into production.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that big red button on the dash, must be the eject button.

That truck actually looks like half the older trucks in my area. When they rot out people run whatever color sheet metal they happen to find. Not uncommon to see a truck with 3 different colors motorin' around. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

7 lug wheels........Ford is trying to save money and they commission unique wheels when they have TONS of already produced 8 lugs by already contracted suppliers. Also, 8 lugs will not p#ss off so many customers when they decide they want to update the wheels on their trucks.

I could see this if the parts off the previous gen LD f series were usable on this platform but the front hubs are way different so that cannot be the case.

SHeesh!