03 explorer rattle from converter area 4.6 liter

Rate this topic

matthew

i have a 03 explorer 2wd 4.6 liter with a 5r55w trans 1st visit in shop costomer complained of a rattle noise at idle from underneath sounded like heat shields on cats but wasnt tried a chassis ear on test drive and noise coming from bell housing.i ran oasis and found nothing really helpful with this so removed trans to find nothing removed flexplate was ok nothing obvious so i priced a torque converter.customer declined to high so we got a dacco converter after market and installed it and seem to be fine at time.2 days later back again so i removed trans installed without converter in and started up noise gone so i knew it was in converter contacted hotline told to put a navigator dust cover on trans with special insulation that comes with cover and it would shield the noise its a normal charateristic.done that helped alot but now only when you turn engine off it makes a loose rattle noise from conveter area check all bolts and starter bell housing everything,thinking the conveter is no good we got any info on this would be greatful thanxs....matthew.........

That rattle when you shut the engine off, to me has always been characteristic of loose torque converter bolts.

Are the holes in the flexplate concentric? Or are they all fuckin' oblonged? I ran into this with a chevy once, chased my ass around for a WHILE trying to find it.

good point ill know mon.morning looks like its coming back out ive rechecked tightness on converter nuts good and tight im going in again....but you could be right if hole are worn out from being loose before someone has been in before me cause there was socket marks on flex plate to crankshaft bolts and metal shim between trans and block was bent to hell had to straighten back out when i went back together....

• 3 weeks later...

"Rattle" noise.... I'm always shy on noises because one guys screech is another guys moan.... But if we are sure that we have a noise from the bell housing and it is foiling all of our repair efforts.... remove the oil filler cap and repeat the testing.... Rear crank seals can make any manner of sound when we place the crankcase in vacuum....

I have seen transmission pumps, converters, cats.... even clutches - replaced because the rear crank seal was "reeding". And yes, the noise would continue for a few seconds after the engine was shut off...