Cooling system cleaning

Rate this topic

I had an ambulance that ruptured an oil cooler and this thing was a real PITA to get the cooling system clean. After about a gallon of Simple Green and around 13 flushes it still looked bad. The heavy truck guy in my shop walks by and recommends this stuff called L-11. My parts dept had to get it from a Radiator shop. Put a 16 oz. bottle in and filled it with water. Drove it around the block. Drained and refilled with water 2 more times and it was completely clean. I was amazed and wanted to share this with you guys. It's called L-11 Cooling System Degreaser. We tested it by putting oil in two brakleen caps and we put simple green in 1 and L-11 in the other. What appears to happen is the simple green makes the oil just stay together and it still sticks to the sides, while the L-11 breaks it down and liquifies it and it doesn't stick to the sides. If any of you have a ruptured oil cooler job, trust me, try this stuff out. Those that try it out, let my know what you think. If you want a picture of it Keith, let me know.

Excellent find, thank you for sharing. I just got thru with one of those and wasn't that impressed with the Simple Green. Now I just gotta wait around for another one to lay down to try this stuff. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

I have had good luck with liquid Tide also but I am always willing to try something new. A picture of the product or a web link would be nice. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I will say that when I use Tide the engine has a really snuggly odor to it when you open the hood.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

I am serious!

I will say that when I use Tide the engine has a really snuggly odor to it when you open the hood.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

I am serious!

We've always used Tide, and I agree on the "snuggly odor"!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I used a gallon of liquid floor degreaser and water on the last one I did. It worked pretty good, I ran around 20 gallons of water through it afterwards. Worked pretty well, like I said, but the customer did bring it back with the littlest bit of oil skim on the top in the degas bottle.

I'm gonna try those dishwasher detergent tablets on the next one, i think.

That L-11 stuff sounds like it's good stuff though! I will research it and see if it's available here.

the customer did bring it back with the littlest bit of oil skim on the top in the degas bottle

I think no matter how well you flush there will always be some residual that floats to the top. We had the one that was puddin-a-fide and managed to flush that one really clean. But, the next service it showed up with a film on the coolant. I am actually impressed that that is all that remained. I think that truck got flushed 5 times or so with detergent and rinsed twice as many times. Took a couple of days. That stuff Ford calls cooling system flush was probably never intended to deal with this kind of mess.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

I'll email Keith a picture of the L-11. I've only used the simple green, Ford's VC-1, and this stuff. The L-11 impressed the hell out of me. I've heard of the cascade thing, but the idea of those big granules going through the cooling system gives me the jitters. The heavy truck guy in my shop says that most of his buddies swear by the L-11. He came from a Peterbilt dealer. As soon as I get home I'll send the picture so Keith can post it. I would do it myself but have no idea how to.

Originally Posted By: Aaron
the customer did bring it back with the littlest bit of oil skim on the top in the degas bottle

I think no matter how well you flush there will always be some residual that floats to the top.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

+1 Nothing is perfect. Especially a 6.0Ls cooling system.

test

I have used simple green as well and I must say, it sucks. Your picture of the two bottles side by side with the writing on them says enough: Good housekeeping vs Radiator degreaser. Hmmmm....which one should we try? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I will try the L-11 radiator degreaser as well.