08 Escape P0302

Rate this topic

Shlep

Alright guys I'm in need of some insight on this one, so bare with me on this. We've got a 08 Escape 3.0 with 31 000 kms/ 20 000 miles on the clock that has a definate miss on cyl 2 with compression good, fuel injector good, and swapped to another cyl to make sure, coil and plug swapped as well, running compression test and manual compression test shows nothing out of the ordinary but I still have what I consider to be a engine miss that sounds to be firing into the intake, now if I spray tuneup cleaner into the intake the miss goes away completely and the noise in the intake disappears and the power balance test shows me a nice flat line. Another tech has had the head off and other then a higher amount of carbon in the chamber nothing was obvious. Now a machine shop had looked over the head (from what I was told, I was at school) and everything was good including the stem to guide clearance. So what am I overlooking here besides maybe a lash adjuster pumping up but the tuneup cleaner wouldn't have an effect on that, so I would think anyways. Anyways fire what you can at this and I'll post what happens as we go.

Thanks

Don

"sounds to be firing into the intake" is a critical part of your statement.... Some time ago we had about an 06 with a concern on the B2 head... Given the right conditions, you could hear this thing popping in the intake.

I checked the head closely and found nothing I could blame - but the engine had to be warm to cause grief... We replaced the head... and, as I recall, the new head came pretty well "dressed". This was the cure.

Yeah I figure I've got an intake valve not fully seating at times but the powers that be didn't want to order a head at the time, guess we'll see whats the next move they have in mind.

Sounds almost like the 3.8 head that bit us in the a$$, twice. This was back in the day that 3.8 head gasket jobs were common as nails. Did a head gasket job on one car. It came back with a missfire in one cylinder that we narrowed down to the head, possibly a valve problem, although all looked good when we removed it for an inspection. The car was covered by the recall, and Ford approved a long block replacement. Somehow, we kept the heads off the problem engine and sent others back with the old block. We decided it would be good to have a set of 3.8 heads ready for the next gasket job to save time, so we sent them out to a machine shop to have them rebuilt/planed/valve seals installed or whatever was required. The next job, we confidently installed the "rebuilt" heads and saved a day waiting for the originals to be treated the same way at the machine shop. Long story short, we ended up also replacing that engine with a long block under warranty as it developped the same miss in the same cylinder. That was then end of our time-saving experiment, but at least all was covered by warranty. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ford.gif

Well, I finally got back to this thing and started fresh(threw out all the prevoius tech's BS papers and test results) performed a power balance test and had a definate miss on cyl2, relative compression shows 0% difference, fuel injector flow test show all between 113 and 115 ms, removed the intake and swapped the coil to cyl 4 the injector to cyl 5 and the plug to cyl 6, replaced the intake, fired her up and low and behold I now have a miss on cyl 5, removed the intake and installed a new injector cleared the KAM and she runs like a champ. So it appears the flow test means jack shit in this case.

Oh and the popping noise in the intake appears to be the same problem some of us has had with the Freestar, replaced the IAC and the noise was gone. Who woulda guessed.

Can't stay away man, but I did manage to stay away on Monday! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I thought that one of the all stars already rolled the injectors/coils around?

Or claimed to.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

See ya tomorrow sometime.

Well, I finally got back to this thing and started fresh(threw out all the prevoius tech's BS papers and test results)

Take this as one of lifes lessons..... For a concern to be taken from one tech and given to another, the first tech has usually missed something, somehow.... I've been caught too many times - and it pisses me off when I let it happen....

These things are gaurranteed in life.... If you don't look at the oil filter pad, there will be an O-ring stuck to it.... If you don't lay the old brake cable beside the new brake cable, one of them will be six inches longer than the other.... And if someone says "But I DID check <that>...." have him show you how he did it....

These things are gaurranteed in life.... If you don't look at the oil filter pad, there will be an O-ring stuck to it.... If you don't lay the old brake cable beside the new brake cable, one of them will be six inches longer than the other.... And if someone says "But I DID check <that>...." have him show you how he did it....

Kind of reminds me of a time when another tech came to ask me how to remove the crank pulley on a 4.2L (he was doing the front cover gasket) years ago. Apparently he spent 45 minutes with the puller trying to pull the pulley off without success. I asked him to show me the pulley bolt, looked at it and walked away. About another hour and a half later, I noticed he was finally able to remove it. So I walked over and said, "it helps when you remove the washer, doesn't it?"

• 3 months later...

I've had a few of those injector flow tests show all is well only to find a fuel injector causing a misfire before. Sometimes as "low tech" as it sounds, swapping injectors around is a good way to find the problem. Frustrating isn't it?