Inford Message Board "Heroes".....AGAIN!!!

Rate this topic

mchan68

Quote:
"The 7.3 pan changes can be done in 4- 6 hours. I have done them buy jacking up the cab about 6 inches. This gives enough room to jack the engine/trans up to remove the oil pan without taking off the pick-up tube."

I wonder how many comebacks this guy has. Would YOU do this job for 4 to 6 hours pay? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

This guy must either be a total butcher or he dosen't mind working like an animal.

I had a old boss that was always telling me I should R&R the pan with the engine in the truck. I might be able to do it, but it will be a total "grey silicone mess". Then I would have to cross my fingers that it dosen't leak. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Almost like Chris Briggs on the EGR cooler hose?

Quote:
All you have to remove is the RH CAC tube!

JACK - ASS!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

I think I remember that fiasco. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Quote:
The published labor time for this job is 12.2hrs in Chilton. I do each and everyone in chassis... in under 5 hours and have had zero leak... If one were to leak, I would fix it for free, as I am the one that chose to do it that way... If it works, I don't see any reason to criticise anyone for choosing to do so...

This is my response to the subject... first of all, there are not enough 7.3s left under warranty (if any) to worry about an adjustment of the SLT... second of all, I don't think there is anything wrong with doing it chassis, as we don't have an issue with repeat repairs, and down time is low. We charge the customer 1600 bucks, tech. gets 15 hours... everyone is happy.

Maybe I am a hero...

Quote:
"The 7.3 pan changes can be done in 4- 6 hours. I have done them buy jacking up the cab about 6 inches. This gives enough room to jack the engine/trans up to remove the oil pan without taking off the pick-up tube."
Would YOU do this job for 4 to 6 hours pay? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

If you beat a published time, do you instead charge the customer for how long it took? I sure don't...

Care to enlighten us on how you do it in chassis then? I know I'm curious to know if it's worthwhile.

Basically remove the transmission, starter and oil filter, unbolt and separate the pan,remove the dipstick tube, unbolt the motor mounts, jack the engine up by the exhaust manifolds, reach in and undo the pick-up and remove the pan... clean it all up and put it back together... basically.

Alex, you are quite right about there being little chance of a re-engineered SLT for a 7.3 oil pan.... however - there is much to be considered.

First and foremost is bettering ANY time by over 50%...

"Hey, Buddy - you bring your own vaseline and step right on over here.... and don't be expecting no fuckin' kiss, either...." Something is seriously wrong with a picture that pays 12.2 hours but takes only 5 and it sends only one resounding message to the public. If the plumber quotes you 10 hours to fix your crapper but starts packing his tools after 5.... how much are you going to pay him?

Furthermore, those who choose to do things in a different manner than the "proper" way do so at their own risk. Those who do things in a different manner than the "proper" way and advertise about it risk screwing those who don't and lower the standard for all, eventually screwing themselves.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

I know there is alot of gain time, but we do so many of them, it's menu priced, so whether I charge 15 hours, or 5 hours the customer is going to pay the same... so why not stock the fridge with more beer?? And at $1600 P&L, it's atleast $500 cheaper than anywhere our "secret shopper" called.

I think a bigger "hooping" is in the following case...

Quote:
We charge 22 - 24 hours depending what kind of underhood gear is on it as F550s are a body builder product.

...when the time is published at 11.0 hours to replace the pan, plus and additional 1.2 hours if it has A/C... basically charging twice what Chilton says...

It may not be doing it the proper way... that is if the book way is the proper way, but then again, I've never seen it written in any WSM to remove a cab on a pre-2008 F-Series... and that seems to be a common practice.

I don't have access to Chilton..... we use Motors as our all make labour guide.... However, one has to ask how the labour op is written up....

At the risk of sounding repetitive... it is one thing to make a fair and honest living... It is quite another to be busy pounding nails into this industries coffin...

Believe me, if we keep on charging 10 hours or more for 5 hours of work, the government or some consumer agency is sure to take up the battle... we, as the bad guys, will be hung drawn and quartered... we will be delivered so much paperwork and so many hoops to jump through that the cost of the paper trail will keep us from ever making a decent living again.

We can try to justify this stuff any which way we can.... but it comes back to the same thing.... we are charging for a service based on "X" hours but it never takes that long... it always takes about 1/2 "X".... At some point in time, we are going to have to consider what this looks like to people that are "outside looking in".... This is the kind of shit that is damaging the credibility I work so hard to establish...

There is some damned unflattering terminology we can use when we discuss some of these issues.... Being able to fold up the cash and stuff it in our jeans sometimes deadens the sensibilities.... but misrepresentation is still misrepresentation.

And speaking of sensibilities.... if we don't come to ours, we may regret it....

Furthermore, those who choose to do things in a different manner than the "proper" way do so at their own risk. Those who do things in a different manner than the "proper" way and advertise about it risk screwing those who don't and lower the standard for all, eventually screwing themselves.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

Well said. Keep in mind though that part of this profession is that we are getting paid for what we know. Our knowledge is what I would consider 1 of the many tools in our arsenal. That in itself should have some value and is part of the cost.

Almost like Chris Briggs on the EGR cooler hose?

Quote:
All you have to remove is the RH CAC tube!

JACK - ASS!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

If the job can be done this way without compromising the integrity of the repair, then whats the big deal? Im sure it takes more than my comment to have the slts reduced to 1 hr. Obviously there has been a trend of short time punches for this repair, And besides that i still punch 1.5 to do it that way.

not that it really matters but i didnt know 7.3l oil pan leaks were a common thing. are they? all the diesels ive worked on since 96 i can only remember less then a handfull of oil pan leaks on the 7.3L

We did 4 in the shop last week alone... seems like all the snowplow operators are getting their trucks ready for winter...

I feel that if your comfortable doing the job that way you should be willing to pass that on to the customer as an option.

I have never tried that method and dont know if I will but I'm shure we have all tried some shortcuts to make our hours.

I feel that if your comfortable doing the job that way you should be willing to pass that on to the customer as an option.

I have never tried that method and dont know if I will but I'm shure we have all tried some shortcuts to make our hours.

Yes.... But too often, a tech or a shop can misrepresent the repair in order to present an inflated estimate....

While we shouldn't short stick ourselves, we need to be careful that we aren't boning our customer, either... If we get into some of these creative steps and make up a menu price, that menu price should be a fair and honest representation of the time actually spent doing the repair to a high level of quality...

FWIW, if all of these shortcuts and speedy repairs are so good, why do we regularly see absolute horsehit hack jobs come from other "quality" shops and "professional" techs....