7.3 fuel sending unit filters, ASAP

Rate this topic

Fordracer

I have a early 2001 F-250 7.3 that has the two little cylinder shaped filters in the white plastic housing plugged. I had one a few years ago with the same prolblem and we replaced the whole sending unit assembly. The guy was from out of state and when he got home he found out that the filters were available and gave us the part number and wanted his money back for the difference. The one I have now is another customer from out of state and the parts guy can't find a number for the part. If we can't find the part number before 4:00 central time we are going to have to order a 425 dollar sending unit to get him on the road. I need help ASAP.

Thanks, but that part number is for the pickup screen. What I need is the two little cylinder shapped filters that go in the round plastic housing on the sending unit assembly.

Those cylinder shaped filters are part of the thermo recirculation valve which part of the fuel pick up. The valve assembly is not intended to be serviceable therefore parts are not available... to the best of my knowledge. You can clean the screens and reassemble the recirculation valve provided you were careful when taking it apart. If the screens are damaged or otherwise unusable then you have to replace the pick up assembly.

Those cylinder shaped filters are part of the thermo recirculation valve which part of the fuel pick up. The valve assembly is not intended to be serviceable therefore parts are not available... to the best of my knowledge. You can clean the screens and reassemble the recirculation valve provided you were careful when taking it apart. If the screens are damaged or otherwise unusable then you have to replace the pick up assembly.

I agree with Keith. I have cleaned many of these filters myself. I have never seen one damaged though.

I agree with replacing the sender as an assembly, but I've also cleaned the filters. I have a sneaking suspicion that the 1994 7.3 PSD "rock catcher" filter on the side of the filter housing is the same PN.

Posted Image

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

• 2 years later...

The tank sender is not designed to be disassembled and serviced but I know people who have. The sender is pretty big money and rarely in stock, too.

Pull the sender, it will have a large white plastic housing on it with the filters inside. Be gentle with the tabs taking it apart, also the o-ring is not available.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Recently had an 02 where the brown crap was sitting above the two filters. If we don't have any sending units in stock, i don't let it tie up my stall i just clean the screens and it's fine.