Let's do this sensible....

Rate this topic

OK... TGITNB (the guy in the next bay) got a smokin' deal on an 03 short box crew cab with a six litre still barely covered under the 5/160 (that's kms, ladies)... He checked it real close before he signed the check is has plans on doing the "trifecta" before the clock strikes midnight...

Of course, he is going to add head studs (no rings, though) when he does the deed.... I found him a free Edge tuner off a trade in (all he has to do is remove it neatly).

He realizes the dangers of cranking it up to "stupid" and plans on running anything that looks and feels like an economy or tow/haul mode.... I have no doubts that the 6.0 is capable of handling a very small amount of additional tweaking but I'm not real happy about the spectre of fooling with tailpipe emissions....

We shall see how things develop.

Jim wish him luck, If you need some help with the a/m goodies ( I even cringe to admit it ) I can help out. We do sell Superchip,Edge,AFE, and Diamondback exhaust. But I don't prefer to sell it. I'm still a firm believer that If the A/M stuff is so good don't you think the OE's would be using it?

he isn't after more power but he is interested in trying to grab a couple more kms per litre....

Jim, isn't this a oxymoron? 6.0 litre and better fuel economy. If he wants better kms per litre he should get one of those Smart cars that Keith posted.

I do the aftermarket install's on my buddies 6.0's. They mainly use it for the MPG and the occasional "weiner" in his porsche. The last install I did, was on a abused 03 that an aquaitence (dunno how to spell it) purchased. The degas bottle vented before and it vented after, i told him what it was, told him do not ride around on level 6 or you will have problems.He's riding around on level 6 calling me asking why his trans smells bad and where all his coolant went. I played the "i can't hear you im going through a tunnel" game. LoL.Oh well. :boink:

Jim, isn't this a oxymoron? 6.0 litre and better fuel economy. If he wants better kms per litre he should get one of those Smart cars that Keith posted.

No... the oxymoron would be having a 6.0 and looking for "good" fuel economy.... Even if any of us had a SmartCar (giving "good" fuel economy), we might still set about looking for "better" fuel economy.... The two terms can be mutually exclusive....

Keith, as for removing the box, etc... it would look plain ugly, the vortex behind the cab would more than offset any gains and he'd have to carry the beer cooler in the cab....

Don't get him wrong... this isn't an exercise in stupidity - the guy is a diesel tech... a good one at that.... It is an experiment in viability... Can it be done well? Can any gains be worth the effort?

We've become so jaded by the power hungry wieners that we can't tell the difference curiosity and lunacy.

No room for the beer cooler in the cab.... You need the back seat for the 30-30 (that's for if your walking in dense bush), the .308 or the 30-06 if your hunting on a cutline, the .223 and the .22 long... maybe a 410 and a 12 gauge for bird hunters, too... And then there's the required 15 boxes of cartridges for each gun (some days the beer to bullet ratio ain't too good).

A friend of mine had an older Jimmy/Blazer that he had the center console actually outfitted with a cooler in the middle, so anyone looking in couldn't tell that it was a cooler.

That man was a real, REAL bad drunk.

Clever, though.

what would be considered good fuel economy on a 6.0? i have several customers getting upwards of 800+km on a tank of fuel under sensible driving conditions. my brother inlaw did pretty much the same thing, bought an early '04 for cheap from auction with just enough warranty left. i did the headgaskets, installed studs(no o-rings on this one though). from there i installed a banks intercooler, piping and intake elbow, an airaid intake, 4" exhaust, and an sct with a customized tune. his truck gets an easy 800km to a tank and has about 80,000km on it since all this has been done with no signs of anything yet. he also runs the pm-22 additive with every tank of fuel. the custom tune was very mild, i would be surprised if it even added 50hp, more so just a "control" tune as i like to call it.

as mentioned of course this does come with some increased emissions, but i did leave the egr system intact on his truck as well as the cat.

i do alot of this stuff, i do however make all of my customers aware of warranty implications and even make them sign a waiver(which would probably mean squat if it ever came down to it), and rarely have any problems. there are the odd extremests that break stuff on a regular basis, but you gotta pay if you wanna play right.

I haven't got the foggyest idea what "good" fuel mileae is for a 6.0..... and, seriously, for the sake of this mans experiment, we don't need to know what constitutes "good" fuel mileage.... We know what he is getting now.... eventually he will make his changes and then we will see what he is getting after.... The word he is looking for isn't some finite, tangible, written in stone "good".... The words he is looking for are "better than it was"....

What does concern me as an individual are those things that we cannot see.... tailpipe emissions.... even then, with only mild tuning, are the changes going to be minimal or "significant"?

what would be considered good fuel economy on a 6.0? i have several customers getting upwards of 800+km on a tank of fuel under sensible driving conditions. my brother inlaw did pretty much the same thing, bought an early '04 for cheap from auction with just enough warranty left. i did the headgaskets, installed studs(no o-rings on this one though). from there i installed a banks intercooler, piping and intake elbow, an airaid intake, 4" exhaust, and an sct with a customized tune. his truck gets an easy 800km to a tank and has about 80,000km on it since all this has been done with no signs of anything yet. he also runs the pm-22 additive with every tank of fuel. the custom tune was very mild, i would be surprised if it even added 50hp, more so just a "control" tune as i like to call it.

as mentioned of course this does come with some increased emissions, but i did leave the egr system intact on his truck as well as the cat.

i do alot of this stuff, i do however make all of my customers aware of warranty implications and even make them sign a waiver(which would probably mean squat if it ever came down to it), and rarely have any problems. there are the odd extremests that break stuff on a regular basis, but you gotta pay if you wanna play right.

+1

My buddies are seeing 600-650miles to the tank on B10.

my dad can get 18mpg avg on his and about 500miles to the tank. its an 04 extended cab. but Ive heard anything from 10-20 really. It varys too much on driving habits

there are plenty of mods for the 6.0. some greater than others but stay away from that edge and do not stack tuners(ie tuner then those power pack modules) custom tunes with an SCT tuner are probably the best bet. building good reliable power seems to be stupid money in a 6.0