lack of power

Rate this topic

got one that has me stumped here. 05 f550 with a manual trans. slow to build boost and lack of power. i know manuals are a little diffrernt and sluggish normally but i was able to compare with a differnt truck and there is an issue with this one. This truck came from another dealer and was their headache. It all started with a head replacement and all of a sudden it had no power. the other dealer has replaced the turbo(complete), egr valve, ficm, icp, ebp, fuel pump, air filter and never fixed it. Its got a history a mile long of problems. 98500miles and almost out so now its crunch time. I have spent all morning with this thing to get no where. hotline(after sitting on hold for over 30mins /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif ) was not much help. I have pulled down the exhuast to check the cat, no issues there and does not affect the power issue when driving. fuel pressure is good in the 50psi range. oil level and condition seem good too. icp can build 3500-3800psi under wot. the only thing I have not got too is the ipr valve. unlikly its causing this issue however...

ideas? Im stumped and ready to throw something...between this truck, a blown up 6.4 and a 6.0 thats dropped a valve Im sick of getting bent over and rapped on these trucks

I gotta find my print out. my mgp is getting up to 21psi under wot and high rpms. from a stop its maybe 10-15 even with my foot to the floor. this is on a hot engine. when cold it was worst and only saw maybe 15psi. I swaped vgts for the laughs and got the same result.

ebp wise nothing looked out of wack and I replaced the pigtail due to no water seal and coolant that has been leaking on it. swaped a sensor too and no luck.

I gotta find my print out. my mgp is getting up to 21psi under wot and high rpms. from a stop its maybe 10-15 even with my foot to the floor. this is on a hot engine. when cold it was worst and only saw maybe 15psi. \

I'd agree that MGP is on the low side.

I'd suspect a biased sensor, which is one that's reporting the wrong pressure to the PCM. This is also called an in-range fault. The easiest way to diag this is to unplug the sensor or replace the sensor with a known good one and RT it. The most likely sensors to go biased are the ICP and MAP. Try subbing them.

No exhaust leaks, right?

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Bruce I have swapped every dang sensor on this truck in theory thats what I had going on. I have swapped the ICP,IPR,EBP,VGT and the other dealer had already replaced the map sensor. I made sure the hose and fitting are clean though. I so happened to have an engine apart with easy pickins for sensor swapping so thats the positive side I guess

No leaks to speak off, y-pipe sounds good. previous dealer replaced all the cac boots

EBP isn't excessive? I have had a few over the years with clogged and broken CATS that just dogged the engines. If you are thinking weird ideas... intake manifold leaks, degraded injectors, poor fuel quality... thinkin out loud here...

Maybe you could make a data recording and save the file, post the file so we can see? Files are easy to upload, look at the post options while creating a reply, you can upload a file... like an IDS session with recordings. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

yeah i will get you guys a recording cause to be honest i am out of ideas. i have beat my head against the wall all day and have not been able to figure anything out. I have had nothing but headaches the last couple weeks and its wearing me out, that and my wallet is hurting from it as well. between that and not much work Im ready to go nuts! ANYWAY....

EBP was maybe 40ish psi under wot. I was thinking cat so thats why I unbolted it and ran it without. no change.

not sure how much time i will get to work on it tomorrow. I have got to put this back together

Posted Image

Quote:
EBP was maybe 40ish psi under wot. I was thinking cat so thats why I unbolted it and ran it without. no change.

I assume you unbolted it where the downpipe meets the cat?
What if the downpipe itself is plugged from, Oh - maybe a turbine wheel from the prior turbo that the other dealer replaced?

Just an idea, but it sounds an awful lot like one I dealt with a few years ago on a RAV. After raising holy hell and running it up the flag pole - a SSM was actually published about this.
On mine, the wheel was about 16 inches down the pipe, out of view, but upon removing the pipe and trying to drop a golf ball through it, nothing came out the other end. After taking a chop saw to disect it, the Minneapolis training center now has a show and tell item for their Diesel classes.

Not only did I lose my ass, I couldn't even keep the trophy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Quote:
18694 2003-2006 F-SUPER DUTY/2003-2005 EXCURSION/2004-2006 E-SERIES - LACK OF POWER AND/OR DTC P2263 OR P0299 AFTER TURBOCHARGER REPLACEMENT - SERVICE TIP
SOME 2003-2006 F-SUPER DUTY, EXCURSION, AND 2004-2006 E-SERIES VEHICLES WITH A 6.0L DIESEL ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A LACK OF POWER AND/OR DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P2263 OR P0299 (TURBOCHARGER BOOST SYSTEM PERFORMANCE) AFTER TURBOCHARGER REPLACEMENT. TO SERVICE, CHECK THE OLD TURBOCHARGER TO MAKE SURE THE TURBINE WHEEL IS STILL INTACT. IF THE TURBINE WHEEL IS MISSING, CHECK THE EXHAUST TUBE BETWEEN THE TURBOCHARGER AND THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER FOR THE MISSING TURBINE WHEEL. THIS WHEEL IS OFTEN STUCK IN THE DOWNWARD BEND JUST BELOW EYESIGHT LEVEL. REPAIR AS NECESSARY.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 06/24/2005

By the way Dustin, did I mention that every time I see a picture of your shop I get really jealous! I keep my floor clean in my shoe box of a shop and it still looks like dirt. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Those polished concrete floors in that wide open space look like a techs palace.

That's a strange lookin' flywheel on that motor. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

yeah well getting torque converter bolts off when the engine will not even turn over is pretty much impossible, haha. lets just say it was not fun to get out without jacking up the shaft.

no comments on why the cab is sitting in the other bay? maybe I shouldnt say /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cover.gif

yes I have thought about the turbine wheel actually. there was no mention of it in the story but we all know how well those history storys come up in oasis. I did want to stick my bore scope up there and look for it but got side tracked. I think I will take it back down and check it out. worth a shot at this point just to be sure. I actually have a picture of one Ive come across in the past. Ill dig it up.

Ill get back on this tomorrow as I was busy getting that 6.4 back together. I hope a fresh start and fresh thinking will help.

yes 50psi is the lowest I will see under wot.

yup plenty of ambos to work on, they are the best thing every to work on! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif even better is how much they pay you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

I downloaded it here at home. (I am off for the week so I don't have access to my work IDS) I have IDS loaded and it works for playback of sessions... but I keep getting Tabman errors when I select the data logger. I'll reboot later and try again. Sorry Dustin, I am trying though!

I dunno but from that recording you have I'd be dropping that downpipe and having a peak inside or your EBP sensor is biased but I really think you have a restriction somewhere. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

You said this all started after a major repair.... anything stuck at the inlet side of the turbo?

I dunno but from that recording you have I'd be dropping that downpipe and having a peak inside or your EBP sensor is biased but I really think you have a restriction somewhere. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

You said this all started after a major repair.... anything stuck at the inlet side of the turbo?

Ive already been down that road then backtracked down that road to make sure. i have dropped the downpipe, then did it again to make sure nothing was up in there. nothing. inlet side of turbo is good too. again been down the road with having all the intake and air cleaner off.

ebp sensor I already pulled off, swaped and cleaned the tube. replaced the connector too.

guess next step is to pull off the new turbo the other dealer installed and take it apart /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

damn good week to take off their keith! where is bruce? he needs to download it too