lack of power

Rate this topic

got one that has me stumped here. 05 f550 with a manual trans. slow to build boost and lack of power. i know manuals are a little different and sluggish normally but i was able to compare with a differnt truck and there is an issue with this one. This truck came from another dealer and was their headache. It all started with a head replacement and all of a sudden it had no power. ideas?

I don't know if it will help, but seems like you have tried just about everything else. We had an 05 F350 that had the same symptom after head gasket replacement. After working with hotline and many hours into it, the tech finally tried four injectors.(one bank) It was a lot better, so he replaced the other four and it was fixed. Seems he decided to clean the carbon off the ends of the injector nozzles with a rotating wire brush. They looked like new when he was done, but obviously he must have plugged some of the jets. As the original repair was done by another shop, this may be difficult to verify for you, but could well be the cause. Unfortunately, this happened so long ago that I don't remember any of the pids that we used to determine the injectors were at fault. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

have you smoke tested the intake/intercooler? i had one a while back, same symtom slow to build boost and maybe 20psi mgp max. the intercooler wasn't blown out at the endtank like most others, it was cracked on the bottom of the hotside cac hose(maybe someone overtightened the clamp?)

no maf on this truck.

i dont have a smoke machine here which sucks so i cant smoke it. i cant hear any leaks however from the cac but who knows.

kinda hard to get shotgun injectors past the powers to be

i couldn't hear any leaks either. smoke test was kind of a last ditch effort, but it worked. the truck i was working on had an egr cooler done a few weeks prior at another dealer, and i was more looking for leaks at the intake manifold. there is no way i would have ever found that crack without it though. even after i got the intercooler out it was hard to see, and that was after i already knew where to look.

Well Dustin here's what I get from reading your recordings, you have an EBP of 47.99PSI and EGR duty cycle of 54% and hardly any boost with fuel being cut back, so here's what I'd do if I were you. Start from scratch, barring the fact is you're pretty sure the exhaust isn't plugged, you must have something causing that kind of EBP pressure and that only leaves the turbo and the pipes to the heads.

went out on the limb yesterday with this thing and slamed 4 injectors on the right bank(the side with the new head) and as soon as I pulled it out of the shop it felt better. did a quick roadtest and it was MUCH better. going to drive it again today but it should be good to go. what a relief as Im taking the next couple days off for an extended weekend. I hate to leave my coworkers with my problem child.

what caused it I dont know. maybe a low fuel pressure problem before they replaced the pump? cleaning methods when doing the head? the injectors looked pretty clean for 98k on the truck. too clean infact. does not matter too much since its fixed