'08 Mustang AM radio reception

Rate this topic

GregH

So I've got this ticket in front of me that states the AM reception is poor on this vehicle. Duh. NPF, customer is expecting too much from his radio, boot him to the curb.

But, no.. I am assured that this is a real concern, and just give it a try.

Sure enough, on a straight stretch of road in the wide open nothing, a strong AM station in our area starts to pop and crackle. Bump it into neutral and turn the key off, and the static continues. Bring the vehicle to a stop, and the static stops - with the motor running or not...

Compare against a like vehicle: Closest thing we've got is a hardtop mustang - and the customer's is a convertable. Cannot duplicate concern on another vehicle...

Hotline was of no help. They have no repair suggestions...

I'm considering trying again to duplicate the concern on another vehicle on Monday (our receptionist drives a convertable mustang), and then swapping out the radio...

Anyone else run into something like this?

Sounds like a loose connection or erratic continuity in the antenna circuit. I base this on the fact that the concern happens only while the car is moving and this vibrating. You might try swapping a known good radio and even a new antenna lead and mast. You don't need to install it, hang the radio and plug it in and go for a road test.

I had a 94 or 95 Continental that was doing this exact thing a long long time ago. The am radio was fine at a stop, but there was excessive static when the car was moving. Rotating the tires ended up fixing the problem.

You might want to check all of your grounds and maybe try installing a redundant ground on the radio.

does the amount of static lessen as the car slows?

Does the speed sensitive volume work?

Self test the ACM any codes U0155 B2103

The static is constant at all speeds above walking speed. Once the vehicle comes down to a stop, the static abruptly stops. The speed sesitive volume is not active on this vehicle, so I do not know if it works.

No codes present in the ACM.

Originally Posted By: Mekanik
I had a 94 or 95 Continental that was doing this exact thing a long long time ago. The am radio was fine at a stop, but there was excessive static when the car was moving. Rotating the tires ended up fixing the problem.

You might want to check all of your grounds and maybe try installing a redundant ground on the radio.

I like the idea of rotating the tires... I will try that. And certainly if the radio gets pulled out, I will install a redundant ground. That little tab on the back of all our radios is there for a reason....